Post-Game Talk: Annnd, we lost again. 3-2 Loss, Stamkos with GWG, Surprised?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Blow a 2 goal lead in back to back games against Eastern conference playoff quality teams, all while getting outshot by a wide margin.

Players/coaches, someone needs to be accountable for this garbage.

Up next: 5 game winning streak.

But seriously, does anyone even care when the Leafs score anymore? Both today and last night when we were up 2-0 I didn't even celebrate. I wouldn't even have cheered if we tied this game up in the last seconds, because it's all for nothing anyway. It doesn't matter if we win tonight, or on wednesday, because we will always find a way to lose at the end, and miss the playoffs.

I honestly knew they would lose or at least screw it up.

I fist pumped after the 2nd goal but when they started to get completely dominated, you jsut knew it would be a loss... and it was.

Not even a 2 goal lead and some pathetic hockey could wake them up.

When you watch our opponent's broacast of a Leaf game, the talking heads aren't even worried about a Buds 2 goal lead. They talk about how how bad the Leafs are at defending a lead (and defense in general) and how easy it is for their team to erase the deficit. Oh well.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
When you watch our opponent's broacast of a Leaf game, the talking heads aren't even worried about a Buds 2 goal lead. They talk about how how bad the Leafs are at defending a lead

Well, the "talking heads" would just be wrong about defending leads. Before the Florida game they were 11-1-0 when leading after 1 period, and 14-0-0 when leading after 2 periods. 15-1-0 when scoring first.

I get the leafs haven't been playing well, but they definitely have been winning the vast majority of games that they lead in.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
B6En-hnCcAE81Zi.jpg

Nice.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Well, the "talking heads" would just be wrong about defending leads. Before the Florida game they were 11-1-0 when leading after 1 period, and 14-0-0 when leading after 2 periods. 15-1-0 when scoring first.

I get the leafs haven't been playing well, but they definitely have been winning the vast majority of games that they lead in.

Good point. How are they doing in the 37 games they played so far, and the 82 they played last year? I honestly don't know the answer. The emphasis perhaps should have been the Leafs tendency to give up a lot of good scoring chances and lack of good coverage/defensive play.

Last edited:

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
#Bolts coach Jon Cooper on the #Leafs: “Now road games are going to catch up to them and you are going to see what type of team they have.”

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
K I have read enough pages of this and I can agree with a lot. Anyone who says Kessel has to go is not thinking clearly. Yes he can be a bit of a floater but he is our best player and who exactly would you trade him for?? Oy. Trade Dion? YES PLEASE!! I haven't seen more bone headed plays than from this guy. Solid second or third -pairing d-man, NOT a premier player at this point. Granted, disappointing players like Clarkson also shoulder some blame, (i.e gwg this game not in position but Dion was just flinging). I honestly don't know how to fix this mess, not even a clue. It starts at the top, Shanny needs time, Nonis needs to go, Randy... well it isn't gonna work out here and I hope you aren't tainted from the whole experience. Maybe the team should hire a witch doctor and kill a chicken before each game. I just don't know, they have more talent than this *****....

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Phil Kessel, as a Maple Leafs, and including powerplay, is on the ice for just +9 goals for a season, on average.

We are paying 8 Million for a player who provides 9 goals a season.

Last edited:

hockeyfanz*

There's more to that quote that never gets added. Like he will not trade youth for older players that won't be part of the long term future of the team. That he will stay away from trades of that nature that the Leafs were guilty of prior to his hiring.

Unfortanely people took the Kessel trade as quick fix which I'll never understand do to the player he brought in was 21 years old. Rather you like Kessel or not trading for a 21 year old isn't a quick fix... People hated that he wanted to make the playoffs and was vocal about it like wanting to win was a bad thing because so many are pro tank and continue to miss the boat that Burke didn't trade even 1 young player for something that would be gone in a year or 2. In fact he did the opposite of what he was flamed for but this is LeafNation right. You know the land where people are rational..

Burke has balls and isn't afraid to make bold moves as it should be to be a gm, as much as people are so adamantly pro tank to rebuild it takes success in all 3 tools available to the GM to build a contender. Trades & UFA is just as important as Draft & development all 3 require balancing and hits. Fail in one and you will fail to build a contender... Edmonton is figuring this out as we speak as the golden boys aren't so golden anymore.

Tell you one thing Burke did a hell of a better job than what happen out in Edmonton that many on here were glowing about how much better of a future they had than Burke's Leafs LOL!

Burke did F@u(k up though when he hired Carlyle :rant: :sarcasm:

Burke is an arrogant doosh who thought he could outsmart everyone else and make a trade to get the Leafs to contend sooner because he "lacks patience" as he once said of himself. The guy is an idiot. So over rated. Any way you look at it..smart GMs don't trade first round picks in consecutive years "when the cupboards are bare" like so many Burke apologists suggest.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
phil kessel, as a maple leafs, and including powerplay, is on the ice for just +9 goals for a season, on average.

We are paying 8 million for a player who provides 9 goals a season.
14-15: +17 (37 gp)
13-14: +23 (82 gp)
12-13: +21 (48 gp)
11-12: +23 (82 gp)
10-11: +11 (82 gp)
09-10: +15 (70 gp)

Roughly +22 goals over an 82 game season pace.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
#Bolts coach Jon Cooper on the #Leafs: “Now road games are going to catch up to them and you are going to see what type of team they have.â€

Jon Cooper is wrong. We arent losing because we play on the road, we are losing because of the way we play. Even at home we don't play well.

Team is unpredictable. Even if we had 82 home games, I wouldn't bet on the Leafs to put up 93 points.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
14-15: +17 (37 gp)
13-14: +23 (82 gp)
12-13: +21 (48 gp)
11-12: +23 (82 gp)
10-11: +11 (82 gp)
09-10: +15 (70 gp)

Roughly +22 goals over an 82 game season pace.

Not sure where you are getting those from. The ones I have are different.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
This us why I won't pay $300 to see a Leafs game live. Too much potential for a crappy effort.

At least i can change the channel staying at home, or, even better, pvr the whole game and watch what I want if they are playing like stooges.

BB

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He needs someone on his line that is good at handling the puck and defensive play.

Anytime I read a post that states a player that is paid 8M x 8 for 64 Million dollars! <insert Mike Myers voice>

I just find the post a lot of hogwash. How about the 64 million dollar player, get some courage, play better defence and handle the puck himself.

Just more excuses.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
NHL.com go to plus minus. There they track total gf/ga then pp gf/ga. It's on the far right.

Link here
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152TORFAFALL&sort=teamGoalsFor&viewName=plusMinus

PPGA isn't what you think it is. That is when we are on the penalty kill. Look at the numers. Komarov, Smith, and Winnik haven't seen a second of PP time, let along enough to allow 4, 7, and 10 goals against respectfully.

I am talking goals we give up when we are on the powerplay. So Shorthanded Goals Against

With that, PP goals for, even strength, Kessel is only on the ice, on average, for 9 goals for, than against.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
PPGA isn't what you think it is. That is when we are on the penalty kill. Look at the numers. Komarov, Smith, and Winnik haven't seen a second of PP time, let along enough to allow 4, 7, and 10 goals against respectfully.

I am talking goals we give up when we are on the powerplay. So Shorthanded Goals Against

With that, PP goals for, even strength, Kessel is only on the ice, on average, for 9 goals for, than against.
PPGA is exactly what I think it is, but there was no reason to go in to detail on that.

Team stats should be total gf and total Ga, which are the numbers I posted. Those would include shorthanded goals for and against.

Where are you getting your numbers from?

Last edited:

Tyler Biggs*

Leafs should watch the Canadian junior game to see how to play a solid hockey game. Ya know, with heart, possession, defense, body contact instead of fly bys etc etc.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

SHG against are included in +/-.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad