Anniversary of the Weber/Pernell trade

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He always completely shuts down opposing stars 5v5, while absolutely dominating in consistently tough matchups?

Don't get me wrong, he was absolutely great in Montreal, but if he always played the kind of defensive game he brought in the playoffs, he'd have a very good case to be the best D-man in the league.

I have no idea how people didn't take notice of just how good he was.

Can I say no **** sherlock?

Habs fan have been claiming he was the beat D in the league since 2012, welcome to the party.

He took a step back offensively since 2013, but hes still probably the best 1 on 1 defenseman I have ever seen.

You read that right.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Can I say no **** sherlock?

Habs fan have been claiming he was the beat D in the league since 2012, welcome to the party.

He took a step back offensively since 2013, but hes still probably the best 1 on 1 defenseman I have ever seen.

You read that right.

I've always loved Subban. One of my favorite players in the whole league. My point was that in these playoffs, he was used as the primary matchup guy on Nashville and until a Malkin second assist in the finals, he kept them completely off the board. Even for someone that, as you say, is terrific 1-on-1, that's absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not saying that he has taken his game to another level. I've always maintained Subban as a top defender. I'm just saying it was Subban at his best, not just the normal performance he put in every year for six years. If he had, he'd be a no-brainer six time Norris winner.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Subban has his share of quirks, on the ice and off, but he's way better in the playoffs than Weber has ever been.

A healthy Subban will likely be better than Weber in the coming regular seasons as well.

Habs significantly lose this trade now and in future. In a couple of years, it'll look comparable to the Gomez trade Bob Gainey did years back.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I was very upset at first because PK is my favorite player ever (hence the username on here). Slowly came around to understanding why it was made but when I saw Weber play I'm not so upset now. I wouldn't have done it if I were the GM, but Weber is a hell of a player.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Montreal wins.

Weber is a true physical force and doesn't let the opposition get away with any antics.

He can also throw a big monstrous and game changing hit, most comparable to Scott Stevens. He also was the reason that Al Montoya had a .955 save percentage after the first 4 games of the season and they had that really amazing start. Never would have happened with that Pernell character.

Seriously though, I've said since day one that Nashville won this trade. Sadly, there's a lot of people who only think Nashville won this trade based solely on the fact that they made the finals and Montreal went out in round one. Even if Nashville missed the playoffs and Montreal won the cup after this trade, it doesn't change the fact that PK is better.

And there were a lot of people claiming Weber was better back in October, just because of that hot start. I had people argue with me that the reason for the hot start and Montoya's hot start was Weber. Even though Montreal had a hot start in 15-16 and Condon also started hot when Price was injured and was being talked about as a Calder candidate until around December. That was with PK on the team. I was exaggerating about the Scott Stevens part though, I don't think anyone ever said that haha.

I personally expected Montreal to finish better than Nashville before last season started. Mostly based on the fact that I figured Rinne would have another lousy year and the difference in goaltending would propel the Habs to last longer. They did finish with more points in the regular season though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad