Anniversary of the Weber/Pernell trade

E82

Feb 3, 2015
Thoughts about the first year? I remember the consensus on here was that Nashville Top4 D rose as being the best in the league. Weber had an amazing start to the season , as the Habs generally do and Nashville instead struggled to find chemistry in the beginning. I always maintained that Nashville would be the winner of the trade in the short and long term. They proved so by reaching the cup finals with that very same Top4 D leading the way.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I love PK but he shouldve taken his game up a notch during the finals. He was held scoreless. That's what I like with Weber. He can actually score goals. PK is a way better possession player but ~20 goals from a dman is very valuable.

I was mad at the trade and would prefer PK because we have no top pair PMD. Im a bit cynical about it but Im pretty much over the trade. What else can we do?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
It was literally about a year ago to the minute that this happened. IIRC, the news broke right around 3:00 Central time last July 29. Crazy.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
The deal was supposed to be good for MTL now and better for NSH in future. Habs ended up losing as fast as they ever do in 1st and Preds ended having a season better than ever.

Win future and win now.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Thought it was a loss on Montreal's part when it happened, but it was close.

Now I think the gap is just going to widen as time goes on.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Nashville won that trade quite handily, getting a young Norris winner while getting rid of Weber's contract and age related performance decline each passing season for 9 more years until he is 40.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I love PK but he shouldve taken his game up a notch during the finals. He was held scoreless. That's what I like with Weber. He can actually score goals. PK is a way better possession player but ~20 goals from a dman is very valuable.

I was mad at the trade and would prefer PK because we have no top pair PMD. Im a bit cynical about it but Im pretty much over the trade. What else can we do?

It's been a year and I've come to the conclusion that both guys are overrated and overpaid.

Subban is younger and more dynamic so habs lost the trade in a vacuum, but I don't see it haunting us like chelios,Roy,leclair, McDonough.

Weber is still a great player and will be for a while.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This will end up being the most talked about trade, the most over-analyzed trade, etc.

But in the end...it'll end up being a wash.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Thought it was a loss on Montreal's part when it happened, but it was close.

Now I think the gap is just going to widen as time goes on.

I think both players have reached their peaks...for Weber, it was a few years ago.

Subban is an excellent Dman, but I don't see much more growth in his future. He'll level off to be what he is now, somewhere in the top 10-12 Dmen in the NHL.

Whole lot of ink wasted for what will end up being a wash.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I think both players have reached their peaks...for Weber, it was a few years ago.

Subban is an excellent Dman, but I don't see much more growth in his future. He'll level off to be what he is now, somewhere in the top 10-12 Dmen in the NHL.

Whole lot of ink wasted for what will end up being a wash.
I disagree it being a "wash". MTL traded for a slowing d-man who is past his prime for one that is in his prime.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I don't think either player had much of a marginal impact on their team's destinies, they probably would have been in the same place either way.

Nashville had a good team in 2016, they lost in the 2nd round in game 7 to the West champs. Their biggest downfall was weak goaltending from Rinne. That team had some improvements up front, and most importantly got like .940 goaltending from Rinne who played his best in 5 years through the first 3 rounds. That carried them to the final.

For Montreal they ran into a bad matchup against a hot Lunquvist and a tight checking Rangers team. They didn't have the offensive talent to breakthrough. Could PK been a bit more helpful? Maybe but Weber was IMO the 2nd most effective skater for the Canadiens after Radulov so he really would have had to put on some Karlsson-esque performance to do improve on Weber (which he never really did on Nashville). Weber also rang the post like 2-3 times on big clappers that had beaten Lunqvist, an inch or two could have swapped a game or two.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I don't think either player had much of a marginal impact on their team's destinies, they probably would have been in the same place either way.

Nashville had a good team in 2016, they lost in the 2nd round in game 7 to the West champs. Their biggest downfall was weak goaltending from Rinne. That team had some improvements up front, and most importantly got like .940 goaltending from Rinne who played his best in 5 years through the first 3 rounds. That carried them to the final.
Sure you can put that on Rinne partly, but to just overlook how bad Weber was is pretty cute.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I disagree it being a "wash". MTL traded for a slowing d-man who is past his prime for one that is in his prime.

Weber finished 5th in norris voting... When is he gonna slow down exactly? 42 pts... 20 goals.. Rock solid defense... Where did he slow down?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

They've both leveled off...I think Subban is better and has been a for a few years now.

But I don't think either player is trending up. I think they've both leveled off, Weber will just start trending down sooner.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
What is with people on HFBoards and referring to players in weird ways? Are you Subban's grandma or something?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Dunno Weber played well for us, personally i thought Subban played better for us than he did for Nashville this season..

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Both teams got what they wanted out of the trade.

Montreal had a better regular season, but Nash went farther in the playoffs.

Montreal's loss wasn't on Weber nor on having no PK, it was on their forwards up front. PK helped in Nash but he had 1 more point than his partner Ekholm and the real difference maker was Rinne (just see the difference between the games in Pitts and the games in Nash).

Question now becomes which contract becomes worse quicker and which team can get out from that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad