Recalled/Assigned: Angelidis, Gudlevskis, Marchessault and Witkowski assigned to Syracuse

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Angelidis, Gudlevskis, Marchessault and Witkowski have all been assigned to the Crunch.

Angelidis and JAM both cleared waivers.
----------

Don't know if this should be in it's own thread or not but Marchessault and Angelidis have been put on waivers:

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Wow...Marchessault sent down. Angelidis was an afterthought. That opens a roster spot...others we are still waiting on and on the bubble: Witko/Nestea/Koekkoek ... there is no way Vladdy doesn't make it. So that leaves 2 roster spots open and the 3 guys above to fill them. And one of Guds/Pou will also have to go.

Last edited:

Boltsppy

Jun 10, 2014
Nesterov will stay for sure. I think Witko will be here as well and KK will be 1st call up

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So the Crunch are stacked if Peca can be a 1C. Who's going to the ECHL now?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We knew Marchessault would be waived, unfortunately. Yzerman said he planned to carry 8 D. Really wish we'd tried to get a pick for him though. I don't think he'll pass through waivers, not after Coop pretty famously chose him in the playoffs over Drouin.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Does Marchessault have to go thru waiver claim? If so this is probably another Panik, as I expect someone to put in a claim.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
So the Crunch are stacked if Peca can be a 1C. Who's going to the ECHL now?

AHL Rosters are larger...there are no roster limits that I know of. You can only dress 20 players on game day...and there are some restrictions on how many veterans can dress on game day. But we can carry a large roster. Additionally, we do not yet have an ECHL affiliation. Don't think we need one yet...maybe after next year's draft since we'll have another 9 draft picks and we'll need to make some room for Point/Masin, etc.

With that said...Marchessault plays Left Wing and per my calculations the last player on the depth chart playing Left Wing is either Broll or Hart (but Hart has a 3 year contract). Dodero and Walcott are pretty low on the depth chart as well as far as blue liners. However, Walcott has had a strong showing specially at the rookie tournament so he may get a good look this year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
AHL Rosters are larger...there are no roster limits that I know of. You can only dress 20 players on game day...and there are some restrictions on how many veterans can dress on game day. But we can carry a large roster. With that said...Marchessault plays Left Wing and per my calculations the last player on the depth chart playing Left Wing is either Broll or Hart (but Hart has a 3 year contract). Dodero and Walcott are pretty low on the depth chart as well as far as blue liners. However, Walcott has had a strong showing specially at the rookie tournament so he may get a good look this year.

You can carry more but it's dumb to keep kids up to just sit. Getting them minutes in the ECHL is better for development.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Does Marchessault have to go thru waiver claim? If so this is probably another Panik, as I expect someone to put in a claim.

Yeah, Marchessault has to go through waivers. Toronto could possibly put in a claim ... that roster is awful.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We knew Marchessault would be waived, unfortunately. Yzerman said he planned to carry 8 D. Really wish we'd tried to get a pick for him though. I don't think he'll pass through waivers, not after Coop pretty famously chose him in the playoffs over Drouin.

Did you see the full waivers list today? He's not getting claimed.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
You can carry more but it's dumb to keep kids up to just sit. Getting them minutes in the ECHL is better for development.

I'd agree with you if it were kids that would sit. However, the players that would sit are Taormina, Mormina, Broll, Martindale, Blunden, Tambellini, Dodero, Paradis. None of the players that really need playing time are at risk just cause Marchessault. At the moment Crunch roster stands at: 23. Expect one more goalie (Guds/Wilcox) and one or two more defenseman (Nestea/Koekkoek/Witko). That is a total roster of 25 at the moment - maximum.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd agree with you if it were kids that would sit. However, the players that would sit are Taormina, Mormina, Broll, Martindale, Blunden, Tambellini, Dodero, Paradis. None of the players that really need playing time are at risk just cause Marchessault. At the moment Crunch roster stands at: 23. Expect one more goalie (Guds/Wilcox) and one or two more defenseman (Nestea/Koekkoek/Witko). That is a total roster of 25 at the moment - maximum.

I don't see Taormina sitting over Walcott, nor do I see Tambellini, Blunden or Paradis sitting maybe 1 of the 3 but not all 3. Your Vermin, Ikonen, Hart will be challenged for minutes.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I don't see Taormina sitting over Walcott, nor do I see Tambellini, Blunden or Paradis sitting maybe 1 of the 3 but not all 3. Your Vermin, Ikonen, Hart will be challenged for minutes.

Wish I had the energy to break it down further. (abbreviated version) Trust me...Vermin/Ikonen will be a staple of our every day lineup and Hart sucks.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I haven't. Seems like there are 4-5 teams who could use a project player like JAM though. But I'll check out the list.

Teams are cutting down their rosters, don't see a lot of players getting claimed today, maybe it's part of the reason Yzerman held on to them to the very end?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wish I had the energy to break it down further. (abbreviated version) Trust me...Vermin/Ikonen will be a staple of our every day lineup and Hart sucks.

I know Hart sucks, not sure how he got a contract. Blunden was better then both before he was hurt, unless he regressed since then not sure why he'd lose a spot to either. Tambellini is a big time scorer and making more money, don't see him sitting. McGinn has the most pro experience, Paradis was good as well last year.

I believe you can dress 5 or 6 vets (Angelidis, Taormina, Blunden, McGinn and Tambellini) don't think JAM, Gourde or Paradis count yet.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I haven't. Seems like there are 4-5 teams who could use a project player like JAM though. But I'll check out the list.

Vey, who was traded for a 2nd last year is out there. Byron who has better numbers and a C is. Toronto who could possibly use him waived Carrick who's similar. I think he clears easily.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Jam is an ahl player. He won't be claimed and he shouldn't be playing with the big club.

Same fascination you all had with Dana Tyrell.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Teams are cutting down their rosters, don't see a lot of players getting claimed today, maybe it's part of the reason Yzerman held on to them to the very end?

Yeah, but with teams like Arizona and Buffalo out there, I can see one of them taking a flyer on him. We tried to sneak Panik through last year pretty much like this. Panik had a lot of size that enticed a claim, which Marchessault doesn't, so hopefully he'll slip though. Marchessault might not have Panik's upside, but he's probably a steadier NHL player right now.

But yeah, with team's looking to cut rather than add, he might slip through. Then again, you look at a team like Toronto, who's looking for any excuse to keep their talent in the minors for another year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a claim.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Jam is an ahl player. He won't be claimed and he shouldn't be playing with the big club.

Same fascination you all had with Dana Tyrell.

Marchessault can put up points at the AHL level though, which Tyrell couldn't do. It's a different situation.

I'm hopeful he gets to the AHL because we could use the scoring down there. A lot of our go-to guys down there this year will be rookies.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I know Hart sucks, not sure how he got a contract. Blunden was better then both before he was hurt, unless he regressed since then not sure why he'd lose a spot to either. Tambellini is a big time scorer and making more money, don't see him sitting. McGinn has the most pro experience, Paradis was good as well last year.

I believe you can dress 5 or 6 vets (Angelidis, Taormina, Blunden, McGinn and Tambellini) don't think JAM, Gourde or Paradis count yet.

Some people are late bloomers. If the Lightning brass truly believe he is a hard worker, they probably threw him an offer in the hopes that he is exactly that. I don't blame them. I just think his stock dropped in the organization. ( I never was too high on Hart to be honest.)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Some people are late bloomers. If the Lightning brass truly believe he is a hard worker, they probably threw him an offer in the hopes that he is exactly that. I don't blame them. I just think his stock dropped in the organization. ( I never was too high on Hart to be honest.)

Could be the case but he's skating hasn't improved nearly enough and his scoring ability stagnated. He has some size but not much else to his game, I'm not even sure he can use his size effectively. I would've waited one more year to see how his senior year went before offering.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
The only thing Marchessault and Tyrell have in common is size. Other than that as hockey players in terms of actual skill the two couldn't be further apart. Tyrell lost the speedy, small, stone hands, fourth liner role to Brown. Only thing Tyrell had going for himself was speed. Marchessault is a scorer with legit skill...only thing I'd say is that he doesn't have the speed to make up for the size and he doesn't have the Gallagher grit to make the team. I do believe his hockey skill, skating, and hockey IQ are NHL level. However his grit, size, and speed combination make him a tweener at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad