Injury Report: Andy

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
This is going to be a massive problem for the Leafs if Freddy can't handle these little shots to the head. I get that it was a cheap play but these things are never going to stop happening our goalie needs to be able to handle them. We had the same problem with Reimer.

Most goalies would have been down after today's play by Sestito. That wasn't a light bump.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
This is going to be a massive problem for the Leafs if Freddy can't handle these little shots to the head. I get that it was a cheap play but these things are never going to stop happening our goalie needs to be able to handle them. We had the same problem with Reimer.

Yeah... Hmmm... Andersen should have got up immediately... Searched the whereabouts of Crosby... Found him and gave him a two handed goal stick slash to the head!

In all seriousness, Andersen likely had his bell rung! He probably was told he had to come out of the game. The days of getting your bell rung and continue playing are over!

In my day, after getting our bell rung, we'd sniff the smelling salts and get back at it. Not allowed anymore because of all the lawsuits!

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON

Are you kidding? There is not a goalie in the NHL that would have stayed in after that tonight.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
would love to see you try to handle that headshot from tonight

Had my head smashed into the boards multiple times. He took a glancing blow. No doubt it was bad but come on its going to happen again. This is the 3rd time in a few weeks where he's had this issue.

I'm not blaming him but it's concerning that our number one is out of any game where he gets hit in the head. If this team ever makes any kind of run in the playoffs he's going to take a couple shots per round. How confident are you he can handle it?

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Had my head smashed into the boards multiple times. He took a glancing blow. No doubt it was bad but come on its going to happen again. This is the 3rd time in a few weeks where he's had this issue.

I'm not blaming him but it's concerning that our number one is out of any game where he gets hit in the head. If this team ever makes any kind of run in the playoffs he's going to take a couple shots per round. How confident are you he can handle it?

No offense but the shots you took were probably in house league hockey/beer league. You can't really justify knowing what it's like through experience..

Are you in the NHL.. no

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Are you kidding? There is not a goalie in the NHL that would have stayed in after that tonight.

Not just about tonight. 3 occasions very recently where this has happened. The Kane one was a tap to the head and he barely made it through that. Playoffs are only going to get worse. He has this reputation now. It is a problem.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not just about tonight. 3 occasions very recently where this has happened. The Kane one was a tap to the head and he barely made it through that. Playoffs are only going to get worse. He has this reputation now. It is a problem.

It's the repetition that is the issue. Head trauma's can take time to recover from .. And the fact that Andy has had a few so close together compounds on each other. He doesn't "just feel better" without risk of worse issues if he gets knocked in the head again.

Head injuries are also quite unpredictable. It only takes a minor unsuspecting jolt to get a concussion.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
No offense but the shots you took were probably in house league hockey/beer league. You can't really justify knowing what it's like through experience..

Are you in the NHL.. no

You think I would've even said that if I played friggin house league? Maybe in tyke until I got moved up an age group.

It's the repetition that is the issue. Head trauma's can take time to recover from .. And the fact that Andy has had a few so close together compounds on each other. He doesn't "just feel better" without risk of worse issues if he gets knocked in the head again.

Head injuries are also quite unpredictable. It only takes a minor unsuspecting jolt to get a concussion.

What are you arguing? I know how it works and he has a history of it. It's a problem for him and the Leafs moving forward that's all I'm saying. Our franchise goalie has concussion issues. Not good.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Yeah, I had this breakaway during a game one time long ago. I got tripped from behind by the defender I had just stepped around. I slid hard into the boards, just missed hitting the goal post! I broke my clavicle and sustained a mild concussion from hitting my head on the backboards.

Now, I tried to continue playing, however, I was unable to take the penalty shot. I went to the dressing room, changed into my street clothes and drove myself to the hospital, all against the wishes of my team management.

Boy, did I get a scolding for doing this by the Doctor at the hospital! He told me that my team should have called an ambulance to transport me!

However, a nurse stationed on the 3rd floor of the hospital, hearing about this, came down to the emergency department to meet this severly injured hockey player that had brought themselves to the hospital! She was a looker! LOL

Now, this is not allowed anymore in any sport! If you get hit in the head there is a concussion protocol that must be followed!

We can't predict if it will happen again to Andersen, but, if it does, out of the game he comes, no ifs, ands, or buts!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

You realize its not his call, right?

The concussion spotter makes the decision.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
"He'll start tomorrow" - Babcock

**** sportsnet.

Babcock said there's no update on Andersen but he hopes he'll play tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

lol cmon

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011

why am i not surprised?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

You are a special kind of

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Yeah, I had this breakaway during a game one time long ago. I got tripped from behind by the defender I had just stepped around. I slid hard into the boards, just missed hitting the goal post! I broke my clavicle and sustained a mild concussion from hitting my head on the backboards.

Now, I tried to continue playing, however, I was unable to take the penalty shot. I went to the dressing room, changed into my street clothes and drove myself to the hospital, all against the wishes of my team management.

Boy, did I get a scolding for doing this by the Doctor at the hospital! He told me that my team should have called an ambulance to transport me!

However, a nurse stationed on the 3rd floor of the hospital, hearing about this, came down to the emergency department to meet this severly injured hockey player that had brought themselves to the hospital! She was a looker! LOL

Now, this is not allowed anymore in any sport! If you get hit in the head there is a concussion protocol that must be followed!

We can't predict if it will happen again to Andersen, but, if it does, out of the game he comes, no ifs, ands, or buts!

Not to sound like a dick, but the bolded part makes no sense. How do you slide that far, without adjusting your body so your not sliding head first into the boards. It takes a split second to rotate while sliding on the ice. Its something that is taught in Tykes to prevent that exact scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad