Injury Report: Andy

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
This is going to be a massive problem for the Leafs if Freddy can't handle these little shots to the head. I get that it was a cheap play but these things are never going to stop happening our goalie needs to be able to handle them. We had the same problem with Reimer.

You're clueless.

Reimer put himself into awkward situations all the time, scrambling to get to one of his rebounds. During these awkward poses, sometimes with his neck sticking out past the goalpost as he's trying to track the puck, he got clipped a few times.

Andy on the other hand is very economical in his movements, and he doesn't flop around like a fish out of sea. Playing the same position in the NHL is where the similarities end between the two.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Why does everyone think of McBackup as crap choice for a back up? He's performed very well for us I thought this season. I have no problems with him as back up. What has Sparks proven at this level to suggest we have a better chance with him in net vs McBackup? Cooler name??

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Yeah, I didn't know you could skate around purposely hip-checking goalies on the head...that's like purposely elbowing or giving the shoulder to another player's head, no?

To me it looked like a deliberate head shot...and while I don't mind players playing in front of a goalie you shouldn't be allowed to target the head and then get a pass because the goalie was simply out of the paint.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
This is going to be a massive problem for the Leafs if Freddy can't handle these little shots to the head. I get that it was a cheap play but these things are never going to stop happening our goalie needs to be able to handle them. We had the same problem with Reimer.

These "little shots to the head" shouldn't be happening at all and the league needs to do more to protect goaltenders from cheap shots. It's hard for the leafs to retaliate when you have the instigator rule and they're in the middle of a playoff chase.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
These "little shots to the head" shouldn't be happening at all and the league needs to do more to protect goaltenders from cheap shots. It's hard for the leafs to retaliate when you have the instigator rule and they're in the middle of a playoff chase.

I've argued that it should be a play that is regarded as reckless, kind of like it doesn't matter if you mean it on a high stick because you are supposed to control your stick. Same here, if you want to rush in to screen the goaltender, you are supposed to be aware of his position.

These bumps to the head has happened way too much the last few years.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Had my head smashed into the boards multiple times. He took a glancing blow. No doubt it was bad but come on its going to happen again. This is the 3rd time in a few weeks where he's had this issue.

I'm not blaming him but it's concerning that our number one is out of any game where he gets hit in the head. If this team ever makes any kind of run in the playoffs he's going to take a couple shots per round. How confident are you he can handle it?

That explains it.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
ye he does, he allows a bad goal every game he plays, every game there is at leat 1 goal where you go "what the ****?"

last night was the 3rd goal even though it did go off Gardiner but it can't go through your legs like that

go back and watch the highlights of his last 5 starts there is ALWAYS ALWAYS a bad goal

We're not spending 8-10 million on two goaltenders.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
ye he does, he allows a bad goal every game he plays, every game there is at leat 1 goal where you go "what the ****?"

last night was the 3rd goal even though it did go off Gardiner but it can't go through your legs like that

go back and watch the highlights of his last 5 starts there is ALWAYS ALWAYS a bad goal

So go back and look at the highlights of Andersen 4 of the last 5 goals were limp wristers mid level blocker side ,he can't stop a beach ball with his blocker but we're still gonna run with him , whats your point .Mc Backup gives up1bad goal a game , Andersen regularly gives up the same goal several times a game get off your high horse.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
So go back and look at the highlights of Andersen 4 of the last 5 goals were limp wristers mid level blocker side ,he can't stop a beach ball with his blocker but we're still gonna run with him , whats your point .Mc Backup gives up1bad goal a game , Andersen regularly gives up the same goal several times a game get off your high horse.

:handclap:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

:help::help::shakehead

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Yeah, I don't really understand how he's getting hurt from these things.

I hit my head harder when I lay down on my pillow last night.

I think it's definitely alarming.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, I don't really understand how he's getting hurt from these things.

I hit my head harder when I lay down on my pillow last night.

I think it's definitely alarming.

Doing some real questionable things with your pillow huh?

A full grown athlete traveling at at least running speed hitting your head from your blindspot wouldn't cause you to be injured? :help::help:

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Doing some real questionable things with your pillow huh?

A full grown athlete traveling at at least running speed hitting your head from your blindspot wouldn't cause you to be injured? :help::help:

I see nhl players get bumped in the head like that twice a period.

Some people do get head injuries much easier than others you know. I'm just saying.... if that little bump really hurt him (and it's not just being extra cautious) then I don't think it's outrageous to start being concerned that he's the kind of guy that gets concussions very easily.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto

Some people do get head injuries much easier than others you know. I'm just saying.... if that little bump really hurt him (and it's not just being extra cautious) then I don't think it's outrageous to start being concerned that he's the kind of guy that gets concussions very easily.

It wasn't a little bump though...Sure he may be a bit more fragile than some other players but the play was a lot more dangerous than it may have seemed to you.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
getting blindsided is a lot different than knowing you're about to be hit

You can't expect to get hit as a goaltender, not on a play like that. It's Sestito as well, guys only ability is to injure people.

"little bump" really? 230lbs doing a drive by on your head blindsided

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

He doesn't have a head injury, so what is your tortured point exactly?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
He doesn't have a head injury, so what is your tortured point exactly?

That it might be worse than they're making it out to be, and he might be made of glass. Which would not be a good thing.

I'm not kidding when I say it... I think I may have hit my head harder when I lay on my pillow last night.

If that little bump didn't cause a head injury, well then... good. Hopefully he's not made of glass.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That it might be worse than they're making it out to be, and he might be made of glass. Which would not be a good thing.

I'm not kidding when I say it... I think I may have hit my head harder when I lay on my pillow last night.

If that little bump didn't cause a head injury, well then... good. Hopefully he's not made of glass.

Whatever dude it was a blindside and it looked pretty bad. Your comparison to your pillow makes you look silly.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Whatever dude it was a blindside and it looked pretty bad. Your comparison to your pillow makes you look silly.

He got bumped a little.

You say he's not hurt. Good.

And why in heavens name would he be hurt? He got a little bumped. It was a 2 min minor penalty.

I was just making the point that if that tiny little jolt really did hurt him, we should maybe start to be concerned that he's the kind of guy that gets concussed exceptionally easily.

Lainethescourgeofgod*

Mar 31, 2017
He got bumped a little.

You say he's not hurt. Good.

And why in heavens name would he be hurt? He got a little bumped. It was a 2 min minor penalty.

I was just making the point that if that tiny little jolt really did hurt him, we should maybe start to be concerned that he's the kind of guy that gets concussed exceptionally easily.

We've established it wasnt a "little bump" and if you'd like to be concerned, be concerned. Screw around with your pillow some more, pretend your an nhl player.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
We've established it wasnt a "little bump" and if you'd like to be concerned, be concerned. Screw around with your pillow some more, pretend your an nhl player.

Some nhl players get hurt very easily. And others don't. Let's hope Andersson isn't one of them.

It was almost a love tap. There's more trauma to someones head when they put on a hat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad