Player Discussion Andy Welinski

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I’m not liking his intensity and acceleration for a smaller Dman. He seems like he could play a lot stronger and physical like a Colin Miller, but seems so slow to react on defense and is so passive. So far all I see is a tweener with a decent shot. He’s probably going to be a career callup AHL guy or Euro player. Would be smart to trade him for a younger asset or late pick if there are no plans for him.

Crazy how I was so happy to see us sign him and was worried he would pull a Schultz. At least he’s showing some value on this AHL playoff run. Would be great to have our first Calder Cup.

Last edited:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I always had much higher hopes for this kid. I remember getting infuriated last season because I thought he was much better than some players playing ahead of him. He's got tools to be a bottom pairing guy. I would have rather re-signed him, but I don't blame him for wanting a fresh start. For God's sake we played Sustr before him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I always had much higher hopes for this kid. I remember getting infuriated last season because I thought he was much better than some players playing ahead of him. He's got tools to be a bottom pairing guy. I would have rather re-signed him, but I don't blame him for wanting a fresh start. For God's sake we played Sustr before him.

He reminds me a lot of Peter Holland. Both excelled in the AHL, but for some reason that game couldn't translate well consistently at the NHL level. Andy has that booming shot from the blue line and he he's actually more physical than I thought during some games. He just doesn't do it consistently. Wish the best of luck to him.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I was worried a few years ago when Welinski was a FA and could have pulled a Schultz. Statistically he developed well in the AHL, but he has been a tweener up in the NHL. He needs to play with more intensity to be at least average defensively (he was a liability last year, but who knows if its a system thing), and although he has a good shot he doesnt get it through enough at the NHL level and his skating is just average.

It appeared last year that Larsson jump ahead of him since his defensively play was much better, so I'm ok with the loss. The question is who the ducks will sign if they are losing 3 AHL quality dmen (including Dotchin, Megna). I expect us to sign at least one to keep the Gulls competitive.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He's not a good enough skater to take that next jump, but yeah, playing Sustr and other clowns before him did him no favors.

He can still have a decent career but it's got to be in the perfect situation, and I'm not sure Philly is that.

Either way, good on him for getting an NHL contract

Reactions: Beretta 390
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad