Player Discussion Andy Welinski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
he can move and his assist passes the eye test for me, it was a skilled play by a player confident in his ability, I think many kids in their debuts just try to play keep away and try not to make mistakes, he didn't do that, I hope he continues to get a look here.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Too early to say, looked solid enough in his first game. If his development continues at a decent rate would be a good fit in the Vatanen role on the 3rd pairing next season perhaps.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I was always high on him. At college he looked like a Josh Manson clone to me. He is already on the older side but he looks like a solid bottom pairing #7 defender option to me.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Early days but had a good debut. If only Carlyle didn’t insist on playing Bieksa then he might have a shot to stay in the lineup when everyone is healthy.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I just can't see it happening that Carlyle-Murray wouldn't have some old veteran defenseman in the lineup. They are going to get someone in the offseason or just re-sign Bieksa (watch it happen) and it's never going to be like Fowler-Lindholm-Manson-Montour-Welinski-Larsson etc. but some has-been player is going to find his way there.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I just can't see it happening that Carlyle-Murray wouldn't have some old veteran defenseman in the lineup. They are going to get someone in the offseason or just re-sign Bieksa (watch it happen) and it's never going to be like Fowler-Lindholm-Manson-Montour-Welinski-Larsson etc. but some has-been player is going to find his way there.
Carlyle is like Mike Scioscia when it comes to Veterans that provide nearly zero or negative value, he'll find a way to put them in the lineup. Veteranitis i call it.
Carlyle & Scioscia are stuck in the 1980s lol.

Reactions: KEEROLE Vatanen

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
So which is it? Poor man's Mike Green? Josh Manson clone? I feel like they are opposite ends of the spectrum.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
So which is it? Poor man's Mike Green? Josh Manson clone? I feel like they are opposite ends of the spectrum.

I feel like the clearest way to say it is... He's a Zdeno Chara / Torey Krug type player. That's what end of the spectrum he's on.

Reactions: Arthuros

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Man, play comparisons are tough. I often feel like prospects remind me of someone, but who won't roll off my tongue...

I've seen too little of Welinski, but maybe Colin Miller of the Knights is a fair comparable, though I don't know if that's saying much for the rest of you. I just happened to watch Boston quite often last season for some reason.

Both are right handed shots. They are nearly the exact in terms of size. Both can hammer it from the point and have decent offensive instincts. Defensive positioning is what both could stand to improve the most. Welinski is perhaps a bit more mobile and Miller probably has more of a mean streak.

Hockey's Future describes Welinski as having "a bit of a nasty edge to his game" though, but it was a few years ago that was written and I don't know how accurate it's been on the pro level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->