Andy Miele

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
Well, he turns 27 next month and has played nearly four full seasons in the AHL and has gotten 15 NHL games with two points. I mean, I suppose there's a chance he gets an camp invite and could maybe make the roster of a bad team who needs a cheap veteran like Buffalo or Edmonton to take up a spot while their kids develop. Players like Miele are a dime a dozen in the league though.

Either way, Miele has no future in Detroit. Curious to see if they bring him back to Grand Rapids next season, though.

That's it? That's why you don't give him a call up?

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I can't help myself to think that people tend to overvalue Gus' goal scoring drought on ES and undervalue his passing skills and value for the PP, thereby more often considering him as an asset lately.
Not as if the thought isn't legit, just saying. Maybe I see more of an essential part of the team in him than others do.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
I can't help myself to think that people tend to overvalue Gus' goal scoring drought on ES and undervalue his passing skills and value for the PP, thereby more often considering him as an asset lately.
Not as if the thought isn't legit, just saying. Maybe I see more of an essential part of the team in him than others do.

Wrong thread?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That's it? That's why you don't give him a call up?

Because they don't need him. He was signed specifically to play in Grand Rapids. The Red Wings are already benching an NHL center in Stephan Weiss.

loudernow*

He signed a two way contract for Detroit.
If he was signed for GR he wouldve signed an A contract.
Weiss hasnt been playing center and his status would be irrelevant.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If we consider Marchenko on his way back to Detroit at first instance, there would be only one non-emergency call-up option left. While I see Miele ahead of Mantha and Nosek, who both should get ample AHL TOI, I do not believe the Red Wings choosing him.

Gruß,
BSHH

don't know anything about this call up number stuff but Marchenko is already in Detroit right now,he's injured not in Grand Rapids

HS

May 17, 2006
If we consider Marchenko on his way back to Detroit at first instance, there would be only one non-emergency call-up option left. While I see Miele ahead of Mantha and Nosek, who both should get ample AHL TOI, I do not believe the Red Wings choosing him.

Gruß,
BSHH

Marchenko wasn't assigned to AHL. Pulkkinen is only post-deadline call-up.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
As a Jr., Nyquist was like 15 th overall in NCAA scoring. That year, Miele was 1st overall as a Sr.

Just sayin...

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
That's why Nyquist is still in the AHL, while Miele got promoted. Just sayin... :sarcasm:

Missed the point, entirely.
I'm saying Nyquist was an elite NCAA scorer, and that should give a certain amount of cred to Miele, especially considering he's top 3 AHL.

Let's recap a bit:

If Pulkks and Miele can show enough promise, then perhaps we can package a proven top forward of Tatar or Nyquist, for OEL ( or facsimile there of).

As much as I like Nyquist, I'd prefer to keep Tatar.

Why would you not give Miele a chance to see if this can become a reality? (Because he's only played 15 miscast games in Arizona?!!)

NyQ + Smith + Jurco + 2nd for OEL

Weiss + Quincy + Sproul + pick for Myers

Tatar Datsyuk helm/Abby
Zetterberg Sheahan Cole
Franzen miele Pulkky
Miller Glenny callahan

Kronwall OEL
Dekeyser Myers
Ericsson Marchy

Last edited:

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I didn't say that Miele doesn't deserve a shot or anything of that kind. Not at all. First post of mine referred to the simple thought of trading Gus rather than Tatar - at least that's what it seems to be like for some around here this season. And if so, I wonder why.

my second post referred to my difficulties to understand what the NCAA stats prove at this point. In the end Gus ended up in the Nhl despite being not as "good" as Miele during that time.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I didn't say that Miele doesn't deserve a shot or anything of that kind. Not at all. First post of mine referred to the simple thought of trading Gus rather than Tatar - at least that's what it seems to be like for some around here this season. And if so, I wonder why.

my second post referred to my difficulties to understand what the NCAA stats prove at this point. In the end Gus ended up in the Nhl despite being not as "good" as Miele during that time.

This talk about Miele reminds me of what the NYI did with

Moulson and Nielsen and Parenteau. Which one of those three came into the league 25+ in age or after spending years and years in the AHL?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What if he was Tyler Johnson 2.0

Then he would have had a season scoring in the top 10 in the NHL 2 years ago, when he was 24. Like Johnson is doing right now.

He's not Johnson. He's not St. Louis. Those guys were both NHL regulars by his current age.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Then he would have had a season scoring in the top 10 in the NHL 2 years ago, when he was 24. Like Johnson is doing right now.

He's not Johnson. He's not St. Louis. Those guys were both NHL regulars by his current age.

Has any of our scouts/management in any interview suggested Meile could be an NHL player??
I mean I am not sure what you guys are arguing about, there are several players in the AHL that score alot and ironically do not get to come to the NHL. (T.J. Brennan?) Seems like the best we could hope for for sproul, but TJ doesnt seem to be NHL bound, not sure why. Better and brighter minds must know.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Has any of our scouts/management in any interview suggested Meile could be an NHL player??
I mean I am not sure what you guys are arguing about, there are several players in the AHL that score alot and ironically do not get to come to the NHL. (T.J. Brennan?) Seems like the best we could hope for for sproul, but TJ doesnt seem to be NHL bound, not sure why. Better and brighter minds must know.

If you read between the lines, they never talked about him making the team out of camp, and haven't mentioned him as a possibility of being a call-up either...

So there's that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He doesn't skate well enough or have the core strength.

The guys he reminds me of unfortunately share the same career trajectory I would attribute to Miele.

Corey Locke
Keith Aucoin
Darren Haydar
Jason Krog
Chris Bourque

Now they are good hockey players. They just were not really NHL hockey players though a couple of them Aucoin & Krog in particular spent some chunks in the NHL.

Those guys all actually won an AHL MVP, something I could absolutely see Miele doing at some point, should he choose not to go to Europe.

He could likely get some time on the real bottom feeders if he could get them to buy in to what he offers over putting a prospect in above their head. This is something Alexandre Giroux and Aucoin did a good job of chasing for years, signing with weaker NHL teams but ultimately generally finding their way right back in the AHL for those organizations.

Andy Miele is a good hockey player, it is hard to see what he does translating really well in the NHL level. I wish him the best, I hope he makes it. But he reminds me a heck of a lot more of the dynamic AHL players that never made the level because of speed and strength issues than a late bloomer. His game lends itself to the AHL level.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
Hockeyfutures::

Talent Analysis:
Tremendously gifted offensively with a very high skill level, Miele is an undersized forward who makes putting up points look easy. A playmaker by trade, he can also surprise opposing goaltenders with a quick release and accurate shot. He has not had any trouble at this point transferring his offensive prowess from the NCAA to the AHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
To be a sub 5'10" player you have to have exceptional lower body strength AND you have to be really quick and a good skater.

I have seen Gionta in person and his lower body is solid as hell. Nathan Gerbe can squat 500+ lbs, and being about 175ish, that's nearly 3x his weight.

Guys like Johnson and St. Louis fit this mold too, and are both great skaters. Most guys that size can't do it, these guys are the exceptions. There's not a lot of them.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Transferring it from the NCAA to the AHL is one thing. But what are the odds that he can transfer it from the AHL to the NHL? Get where you're coming from, wishing for him to get a real shot. I'm not so optimistic that it will work out on that level though:

Less space, less time and his surprising shot effects won't be the same. And how about his size for that kind of competition? He found a way to compensate for that in the AHL. But the same working out on the next level? Not so sure about that.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
Totally agree with both you above posters.

I'd tell him he can't play in this league, then give him 10 games on the 3rd line and see if he grabs hold, nomsayin.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You guys are forgetting my favorite PPG AHL star Chris Conner.

Conner actually had a lot of speed and core strength. He actually didn't think the game at an NHL level.

I think Miele thinks the game at an NHL level, not necessarily all the time defensively.

I realize it might be seen as splitting hairs, but Conner was a burner who didn't have plus attributes offensively, but his skating gifted him a lot of chances at the AHL level. He didn't work himself open or have the plus hands that the other comparisons I think more match Miele.

Conner did score a lot at the AHL level, I think he accomplished it slightly differently though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad