Andy Miele

Overclass*

No. Plenty of small players to well in the AHL and fail in the NHL.

Plenty fail, but some becomeTyler Johnson. I know little about Miele and am not comparing him to TJ but I don't think it'd be the end of the world for him to get 2-3 games if injuries occur or for Andersson

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
26 year old american that can play c and winger.

46 points in 45 AHL games.

Dominant in AHL several seasons with an A on his chest, did dominate in NCAA aswell.

Played 2 WC for USA and 15 NHL games for Coytes.

His PIM sugggest that his is gritty.

Should he get some games with Red Wings?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15665

If Andy Miele is playing for the Red Wings in 2014-2015, things have gone very very very wrong.

Not a knock on him he just has about eight NHL caliber options in front of him that are better players

Edit: Plus, dude get off this grit kick. The Wings need good hockey players way more than they need physical ones. Guys like Nyquist, Tatar, and Sheahan aren't going to get shoved off the puck as easy in the playoffs this year because they've done it before. Last year they had kind of a deer in headlights look about them.

The Wings had Tootoo who seemed like exact what they needed in terms of grit and he got benched and bought out because he couldn't play to Babcocks standards

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
He's a great player with an NHL skill set but IMO a good example of why relatively few small players make it. He's been great in the AHL for quite a while at a young age but couldn't stick even with a non-playoff team like Phoenix (last 2 years). I think that just shows that even though many want to believe otherwise, size can still be an issue.

However, I do think he's been a huge factor in what Pulkkinen has been able to accomplish this season. Arguably their #2 MVP right after Pulu.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Miele is the typical small player who's either a 50 point scorer or he's not in the league, basically.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Wait, why are we talking about Miele as though he's some tough guy? Dude is gritty like Mike Cammalleri is gritty. He's not even an upgrade on Andersson when you take into account the role he'd be playing.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Plenty fail, but some becomeTyler Johnson. I know little about Miele and am not comparing him to TJ but I don't think it'd be the end of the world for him to get 2-3 games if injuries occur or for Andersson

Tyler Johnson has speed for days and is probably a future Selke winner. He could've made the NHL in almost any capacity. Miele is a skilled player with little extra dimensions to his game who has struggled at NHL speeds. Not the best comparison, IMO.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Wait, why are we talking about Miele as though he's some tough guy? Dude is gritty like Mike Cammalleri is gritty. He's not even an upgrade on Andersson when you take into account the role he'd be playing.

The OP called him gritty.

I just added the thing to my post because he had just made a topic asking "Do the Red Wings need grit?" and he was trying to use grit as a selling point for Miele... doing so by looking at his PIM.

I was saying more how his "selling point" for Miele was dumb.

Overclass*

Tyler Johnson has speed for days and is probably a future Selke winner. He could've made the NHL in almost any capacity. Miele is a skilled player with little extra dimensions to his game who has struggled at NHL speeds. Not the best comparison, IMO.

Good thing I specifically said I wasn't comparing them then.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Don't know his game but I feel like he's basically the Emmerton replacement in our system. Great AHL center, no NHL future.

Ceff Jarter

Registered Duster
Aug 6, 2012
Sorry to bump during the trade deadline :)

But if you haven't had a chance to see him play, I think you would definitely enjoy it! Super creative player.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Sorry to bump during the trade deadline :)

But if you haven't had a chance to see him play, I think you would definitely enjoy it! Super creative player.

I'm sure he's fun to watch in the AHL. But that's as far as he's gonna make it.

There are worse things in the world than to cap out in the league below the pros.

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
Watching GR I really like Miele's game. He is a huge part of the team and somebody relied heavily upon. He deserves a look at some point based on his dominance down there. But if he can't cut it in the NHL due to his size then the experiment will be over real fast.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
He was totally miscast in Arizona.

3rd line of Miele Sheahan Franzen could be fast and creative.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If it weren't for the fact that we're stacked on the forward side I wouldn't be against giving him a call-up. But there's just no room, and if we're going to call up guys just for the sake of it I'd rather see what Mantha or Nosek can do in the NHL.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
Bring him up for a good look. If they like what they see, they know they can trade guys above him in a package for D man.

Tatar Datsyuk Helm
Zetterberg Sheahan Cole
Nyquist Miele Abby
Miller Glenny Andy

if he's impressive, then next summer:

NyQ + Smith + Jurco + 2nd for OEL

Weiss + Quincy + Sproul + pick for Myers

Tatar Datsyuk helm/Abby
Zetterberg Sheahan Cole
Franzen miele Pulkky
Miller Glenny callahan

Kronwall OEL
Dekeyser Myers
Ericsson Marchy

Last edited:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I really like Miele's game. I was at Milwaukee last week and watched him close. He does a lot of things well. Shame that he's pretty small. don't know how he'd hold up in NHL but he's got a ton of talent

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
If we consider Marchenko on his way back to Detroit at first instance, there would be only one non-emergency call-up option left. While I see Miele ahead of Mantha and Nosek, who both should get ample AHL TOI, I do not believe the Red Wings choosing him.

Gruß,
BSHH

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Bring him up for a good look. If they like what they see, they know they can trade guys above him in a package for D man.

Tatar Datsyuk Helm
Zetterberg Sheahan Cole
Nyquist Miele Abby
Miller Glenny Andy

if he's impressive, then next summer:

NyQ + Smith + Jurco + 2nd for OEL

Pretty sure Miele would have to pas through waivers if they called him up.

Also, Andy Miele is a career AHLer.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Red Wings know exactly what Miele is: undersized career minor league/overseas player

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Why do you say that? Details, details.

Well, he turns 27 next month and has played nearly four full seasons in the AHL and has gotten 15 NHL games with two points. I mean, I suppose there's a chance he gets an camp invite and could maybe make the roster of a bad team who needs a cheap veteran like Buffalo or Edmonton to take up a spot while their kids develop. Players like Miele are a dime a dozen in the league though.

Either way, Miele has no future in Detroit. Curious to see if they bring him back to Grand Rapids next season, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad