Confirmed with Link: Andy Greene Contract Extension (Five years, $5 million per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I guess we should all arm ourselves for the next great battle.

Team Henrique

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=643159

Team Greene

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=727541#&navid=nhl-search

I'd be happy with either, or Zajac.

"His leadership goes unnoticed," Lamoriello said. "He's a quiet leader and respected by the players."

"His leadership was evident by the voting in our postseason awards," Lamoriello said. "He handles young defensemen very well; he knows what to say and when to say it, and they know when he says something he means it."

That is quite the praise from Lou....

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That's exactly why Greene was so important to keep. He's the mentor we need on the ice.

It will be very interesting to see who he is paired with this season. I do hope it is Larsson but whoever it is they should benefit from playing with him.

Semak

It will be very interesting to see who he is paired with this season. I do hope it is Larsson but whoever it is they should benefit from playing with him.

I would like to see him with Larsson at least to start but any combination of Gelinas, Sal and Zids does make me nervous.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I would like to see him with Larsson at least to start but any combination of Gelinas, Sal and Zids does make me nervous.

I think a healthy Salvador and Gelinas has the possibilities to make a good third pairing.

Not really liking that it is August 1st and Gelinas is still not signed.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I think a healthy Salvador and Gelinas has the possibilities to make a good third pairing.

Not really liking that it is August 1st and Gelinas is still not signed.

Didn't Henrique get signed like August 25th or some later day? I'm not too concerned about it. If it's September and he's not signed I'd be more wary. Lou understands the importance of locking players up now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Didn't Henrique get signed like August 25th or some later day? I'm not too concerned about it. If it's September and he's not signed I'd be more wary. Lou understands the importance of locking players up now.

Henrique signed in late August but his deal was 6 years 24 Million dollars..It seems perfectly reasonable that a 6 year deal would take a little extra time...

Gelinas won't be receiving a contract anything like that...He should be getting a pretty simple deal that really should've been completed quickly.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Yeah I am a little curious about the Gelinas deal. I know he showed a lot of promise but he also showed a lot of crap on the defensive side of things. Larsson got signed pretty quickly I thought Gelinas would have as well. Even two years at 1-1.5 per is fine right?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah I am a little curious about the Gelinas deal. I know he showed a lot of promise but he also showed a lot of crap on the defensive side of things. Larsson got signed pretty quickly I thought Gelinas would have as well. Even two years at 1-1.5 per is fine right?

Right around a million somewhere seems perfectly reasonable...

But I somehow get the feeling his side might be valuing those 29 points in 60 games a little more than NJ might be.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Right around a million somewhere seems perfectly reasonable...

But I somehow get the feeling his side might be valuing those 29 points in 60 games a little more than NJ might be.

That is what it seems like.
Gelinas likely wants a commitment, the Devils probably want another year of evaluation. Considering his game consists of high highs and low lows, that's the best way to go about it.

If Gelinas takes this year's opportunity and runs with it, it'll pay out even better in the long run.

Reading through comments both from the Albany and NJ coaching staff over the past season, he sounds (purely speculating) like a kid with a healthy ego. Which isn't a bad thing at all, especially when you play an aggressive game -- but they might be trying to temper that while they still can.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
so will we finally have a drama free summer next year? only "important" UFAs are Jagr and Zids

Yepp, Lars will be a RFA again. We have no major UFAs next year. Brunner and Ryder, the two old guys.

Feels good to have Greene locked up and I am also curious who gets paired with him. I agree I want Lars there because he can learn the most, but who knows how it will all shake out.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Larsson's best shot at success is with Greene.

And if a 22 year old Adam Larsson can't perform as well as Fayne did with Greene....there might not be any hope for him.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Larsson's best shot at success is with Greene.

And if a 22 year old Adam Larsson can't perform as well as Fayne did with Greene....there might not be any hope for him.

Part of the reason Fayne was so great with Greene is they had amazing chemistry.I'd still give Larsson some time to gain some chemistry with Greene.

Deleted member 28548

Watching NHL Center Ice last season without always getting the option to choose the Devils feed, I was pretty impressed with how much praise Greene earned from opposing team broadcasters. He's no longer the well kept secret from a few seasons back.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Watching NHL Center Ice last season without always getting the option to choose the Devils feed, I was pretty impressed with how much praise Greene earned from opposing team broadcasters. He's no longer the well kept secret from a few seasons back.

I watched a good amount of games last year on center ice and I think I saw/heard about 2 home games. That was very frustrating.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

That's my biggest concern too. Sal-Gel could and probably would be an absolute nightmare, even in soft minutes. I'd almost rather see Merrill with Greene, and let Larsson and Gelinas get back to that chemistry we saw. Pete knows what he can get out of a Sal-Zid pairing.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I watched a good amount of games last year on center ice and I think I saw/heard about 2 home games. That was very frustrating.
I always get the games on center ice with the Devils broadcast. The only exceptions are if at against one of the two Florida teams, or when it's on NHL or a non exclusive NBCSN telecast. Which reminds me of how much I hate the two bozos who do the Panthers. Goldie and Bill Lindsey are one of the biggest jackass crew in hockey. It's almost like a pick your poison when the game is in Sunrise. Drive down the 4 hours and watch the Devils blow some big lead and lose, or stay home and have to listen to Goldie and Lindsey puking it up on air.
That's my biggest concern too. Sal-Gel could and probably would be an absolute nightmare, even in soft minutes. I'd almost rather see Merrill with Greene, and let Larsson and Gelinas get back to that chemistry we saw. Pete knows what he can get out of a Sal-Zid pairing.
At least we won't have to see the dreaded SalChenkov pairing again. What an absolute trainwreck. It's no wonder that Volchenkov actually looked competent when not paired with Salvador.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't know how many times I've heard Lindsey refer to our "trapping system" during Devils/Panthers games. He's almost as annoying as that ****tard Tripp Tracy.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't know how many times I've heard Lindsey refer to our "trapping system" during Devils/Panthers games. He's almost as annoying as that ****tard Tripp Tracy.

He's absolutely brutal. I watched a game with them earlier this season, and those two got so bored that they were talking about the pizza they are for lunch. I actually enjoyed hearing them talk about their pizza more than them talking about the game.

I still laugh when I see the Panthers feed of that goal in game 5. The one where Marty got caught behind the net.

"Man that's a playoff goal if I ever saw one"

That's the problem Billy. That's the first playoff goal you've seen since 1996, you don't remember what a playoff goal is. :laugh:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Henrique signed in late August but his deal was 6 years 24 Million dollars..It seems perfectly reasonable that a 6 year deal would take a little extra time...

Gelinas won't be receiving a contract anything like that...He should be getting a pretty simple deal that really should've been completed quickly.

I thought he would have been signed rather quickly, I thought Larsson was going to be the one that would be a little struggle to sign

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

All the more reason it was important to lock him up. With the drunk contracts handed out to defensemen who knows what the open market would of offered him.

Just looking at the nonsense that Washington is paying Orpik this contract is a damn steal for us. Andy could definitely have made more if he went to ufa next year. Glad he wants to be here and Lou got it done.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

I'm perfectly fine with letting Gelinas go if his demands are unreasonable. Especially since he should be in camp busting his tail off to impress the coaches, definitely not holding out. He's already slow on the defensive side of things, he doesn't need to be caught further behind. And if it does get to the point where NJ needs to trade him, there's always Damon Severson.

The only problem is that Gelinas probably has very little trade value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad