Andrey "The Moscow Monster" Pedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Continued from the trade thread that got hopelessly derailed by Ryan Miller contract talk for some weird reason.

Note: This is still not the Ryan Miller thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The time: May 2020.
The scene: A Brooklyn sports bar.

10pm. The after-work crowd has long since left. The sports fan crowd is filtering out the door in twos and threes into the night. It's a subdued crowd. The Islanders are out of the playoffs again. Tavares did what he could, but it just wasn't enough. Johnny Boychuk broke his leg in the first round, Nick Leddy was sent to rehab for addiction to a drug not yet synthesized, and Travis Hamonic went mad from the stress, found curled up in the fetal position on the dressing room floor after a fight with Jarred Tinordi. Islander Nation was crying out for a defenseman, a big, tough, hulking defenseman who could skate, shoot the puck and bust heads in equal measure...but there was nobody to answer the call.

At the end of the bar sits a forlorn, rumpled figure. Grey, disheveled hair, eyes so bloodshot they look like road maps of Shanghai, still-visible stains from the bloody mary he slopped down his shirt three hours ago, sensible shoes. His stubble is visible from space. His expression bears the weight of a thousand traumas. The bartender's long since stopped trying to engage him in conversation, and the other patrons anxiously avoid his haunted gaze. Then, above the bar, the tv's NHL coverage flips over to the west coast feed. It's the Vancouver Canucks steamrolling another hapless opponent. The camera angle switches to an ice-level angle.

Out of the mist, a figure looms forward. Much as a poor medieval farmer once dreaded the appearance of an armored enemy knight charging towards him on horseback, the terror in the other team's eyes is palpable. Huge, terrifying, tossing bodies through the air as though they're made of papier mache, he strides inexorably forward. He arches back to shoot the puck, and as he follows through the sheer volume of air displacement made by his massive bulk scything through the atmosphere of the hockey rink creates a gust so powerful the horrified skaters in front of him are sent crushing backwards, their skates creating rooster tails of shaved ice in a vain attempt to hold position. The puck deforms from the incredible speed of the shot, the twine in the back of the net barely moves as the puck shoots through it to be embedded in the boards behind. You can see the goalie's tears even in standard definition. You can see his lips moving: "It's just not fair...it's just not fair..."

A small voice in the corner pipes up: "We traded that guy for who...?!" The rumpled man at the bar suddenly bolts for the door, drunken stumbles sending chairs flying as he tries to leave. "I didn't know! I DIDN'T KNOWWWWW!!!!" he screams as he crashes out the door. "Garth! GARTH! Hey, nobody's blaming you! Garth? You want me to carry your tab forward? Garth!" the bartender calls after him, but he's gone, a trail of wreckage behind him.

A man in an Islanders jersey sidles up to the bar. "Hey man, did he just run out on his tab?"
"Yeah, no big deal though." replies the bartender. "He'll be back. He always comes back."
The Islanders fan turns to the screen, sees another huge play by the unstoppable juggernaut and sighs. "You know, that guy used to be in our system."
The bartender wistfully gazes up at the screen.
"I know, man. I know."

-------------------------------------

Continue discussion of Pedan's awesomeness here.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Why would he take on Stu Bickel

Bickel has much more experience than him in this fighting role

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Bickel was lucky. Pedan could have thumped him right out, no problem. Even the helmet popper didn't put him down, and Pedan kept swinging and got a few in there. Bickel had the good position on the grab, and that was the difference-maker.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Bickel was lucky. Pedan could have thumped him right out, no problem. Even the helmet popper didn't put him down, and Pedan kept swinging and got a few in there. Bickel had the good position on the grab, and that was the difference-maker.

Yeah, Pedan's still a monster. Both Bickel and Pedan were really throwing bombs and Bickel was just able to land a clean shot first. Can't win 'em all.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
man watching that makes me remember how much i hate fighting and wish it wasn't a thing a good prospect did

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
Yeah, Pedan's still a monster. Both Bickel and Pedan were really throwing bombs and Bickel was just able to land a clean shot first. Can't win 'em all.

Nobody wins them all, but after Pedan got tagged he should have realized this one was over. Live and learn I guess.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Let's hope there are no health repercussions from that serious beat down. Utica needs a healthy Pedan.

SomeSortOfHockey

Oct 9, 2013
Pedan was clearly out of that fight not even half way through it. You can see Bickel landed a shot fairly early on which took Pedan out. Pedan may have been swinging after but there was no longer any rhyme or reason to his swings, it was just a mater of time for Bickel to finish him off. Would have been nice for Pedan to just drop early but then again when a person gets their head rung they don't think straight after.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Continued from the trade thread that got hopelessly derailed by Ryan Miller contract talk for some weird reason.

Note: This is still not the Ryan Miller thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The time: May 2020.
The scene: A Brooklyn sports bar.

10pm. The after-work crowd has long since left. The sports fan crowd is filtering out the door in twos and threes into the night. It's a subdued crowd. The Islanders are out of the playoffs again. Tavares did what he could, but it just wasn't enough. Johnny Boychuk broke his leg in the first round, Nick Leddy was sent to rehab for addiction to a drug not yet synthesized, and Travis Hamonic went mad from the stress, found curled up in the fetal position on the dressing room floor after a fight with Jarred Tinordi. Islander Nation was crying out for a defenseman, a big, tough, hulking defenseman who could skate, shoot the puck and bust heads in equal measure...but there was nobody to answer the call.

At the end of the bar sits a forlorn, rumpled figure. Grey, disheveled hair, eyes so bloodshot they look like road maps of Shanghai, still-visible stains from the bloody mary he slopped down his shirt three hours ago, sensible shoes. His stubble is visible from space. His expression bears the weight of a thousand traumas. The bartender's long since stopped trying to engage him in conversation, and the other patrons anxiously avoid his haunted gaze. Then, above the bar, the tv's NHL coverage flips over to the west coast feed. It's the Vancouver Canucks steamrolling another hapless opponent. The camera angle switches to an ice-level angle.

Out of the mist, a figure looms forward. Much as a poor medieval farmer once dreaded the appearance of an armored enemy knight charging towards him on horseback, the terror in the other team's eyes is palpable. Huge, terrifying, tossing bodies through the air as though they're made of papier mache, he strides inexorably forward. He arches back to shoot the puck, and as he follows through the sheer volume of air displacement made by his massive bulk scything through the atmosphere of the hockey rink creates a gust so powerful the horrified skaters in front of him are sent crushing backwards, their skates creating rooster tails of shaved ice in a vain attempt to hold position. The puck deforms from the incredible speed of the shot, the twine in the back of the net barely moves as the puck shoots through it to be embedded in the boards behind. You can see the goalie's tears even in standard definition. You can see his lips moving: "It's just not fair...it's just not fair..."

A small voice in the corner pipes up: "We traded that guy for who...?!" The rumpled man at the bar suddenly bolts for the door, drunken stumbles sending chairs flying as he tries to leave. "I didn't know! I DIDN'T KNOWWWWW!!!!" he screams as he crashes out the door. "Garth! GARTH! Hey, nobody's blaming you! Garth? You want me to carry your tab forward? Garth!" the bartender calls after him, but he's gone, a trail of wreckage behind him.

A man in an Islanders jersey sidles up to the bar. "Hey man, did he just run out on his tab?"
"Yeah, no big deal though." replies the bartender. "He'll be back. He always comes back."
The Islanders fan turns to the screen, sees another huge play by the unstoppable juggernaut and sighs. "You know, that guy used to be in our system."
The bartender wistfully gazes up at the screen.
"I know, man. I know."

-------------------------------------

Continue discussion of Pedan's awesomeness here.

Here you go.
http://thehockeywriters.com/current-openings/

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
man watching that makes me remember how much i hate fighting and wish it wasn't a thing a good prospect did

yup

Pedan missed a ton of time last season due to a concussion. This isn't good at all going forward. PCS is a career killer.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I thought from the comments this would be way worse. I didn't see "scary," what happened to Tinordi was scary. He just lost a fight. I don't think he was out on his feet at all either- he got tagged with a good shot early and it hurt him and he tried his best to recover and never did. He will be back to fight another day soon i would say.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Speaking about Garth...I play hockey with a guy who grew up with him. He's happy for his childhood friend that he is doing well while being absolutely shocked the dumb as a sack of hammers guy is a NHL GM.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Speaking about Garth...I play hockey with a guy who grew up with him. He's happy for his childhood friend that he is doing well while being absolutely shocked the dumb as a sack of hammers guy is a NHL GM.

Well he is doing a good job building the Isles right now. I don't think there is any GM in the league that is as budget constrained and have as much dead salaries as him ( Yashin, DP still on the books).

Kind of crazy how for the longest time he was able to ice a team and at the same time meet the cap floor without actually paying to it.

Unlike the fools over at Edmonoton, he was able to identify the parts his team needs (Boychuk, Leddy) and got them while identifying the right players to sign in FA ( Grabo and Kluemin). Honestly, sucked for a long while for the Isle fans but things are definitely trending up hard now.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Well he is doing a good job building the Isles right now. I don't think there is any GM in the league that is as budget constrained and have as much dead salaries as him ( Yashin, DP still on the books).

Kind of crazy how for the longest time he was able to ice a team and at the same time meet the cap floor without actually paying to it.

Unlike the fools over at Edmonoton, he was able to identify the parts his team needs (Boychuk, Leddy) and got them while identifying the right players to sign in FA ( Grabo and Kluemin). Honestly, sucked for a long while for the Isle fans but things are definitely trending up hard now.

Trading away their first pick and deciding to draft Dal Colle may have something to do with that. They simply cannot afford to suck this year. Maybe Garth knew all along how to ice a good team, just that Wang wants to force a move to Brooklyn after unsuccessfully dealing with the clowns at Hempstead..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad