Andrews on SXM: 31st AHL team coming 2018-19

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Very true and if youll recall... everyone was saying st louis etc or vegas and I said then exactly what is happening... even when told I didnt know what I was talking about.

You have no idea what yo are talking about. Just look at how poorly you thought our buddy was going to go at the draft. HA!!!! :)

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Got me there...truth s I had no clue where he would go.

See!!! Heck, Pops didn't know where he was going to go. I just hope he never has to go to either Hartford or Albany!!

I just wonder if it will be Colorado or St. Louis that buys the 31st team.

I am also curious as to if there isn't something else in play as well. I wonder if any of the independents are looking to sell as well. I guess it depends on the price of the new franchise. Someone may be tired of the losses and be looking to get out or drop to a lower league that may be more profitable or less money losing.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
See!!! Heck, Pops didn't know where he was going to go. I just hope he never has to go to either Hartford or Albany!!

I just wonder if it will be Colorado or St. Louis that buys the 31st team.

I am also curious as to if there isn't something else in play as well. I wonder if any of the independents are looking to sell as well. I guess it depends on the price of the new franchise. Someone may be tired of the losses and be looking to get out or drop to a lower league that may be more profitable or less money losing.

According to what I was told by 2 different people draft week it will go like this...

St Louis will send some players to Chicago this year ( Think Jake Walman and lesser prospects)

St Louis will send the majority of its top tier prospects to San Antonio ( Think Vince Dunn, Tage Thompson)

Colorado will split San Antonio with St Louis for the 17-18 season...not sure how the player allotment will work with regards to who put who or what there...but figure the top prospects from both St Louis and Colorado being in San Antonio this year.

Next Spring/Summer the AHL will announce that the Colorado Avalanche have purchased the 31st franchise with the intentions of placing it in Loveland Colorado...where the current Eagles of the ECHL play.

Around or during that same time St Louis and San Antonio will announce a multi- year affiliation agreement for the Blues to go to San Antonio

At some point during the announcement or around that time, the building in Loveland will announce that it will be undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation to improve it's facilities in anticipation of a move up to the AHL for the 18-19 season and beyond

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thanks axe for spelling it out. Interesting that the better prospects are slated for SA where Colorado has at least some decent ones and Vegas doesn't have many.

Why would it take so long to announce? Wouldn't it be better for everyone starting the year knowing what's going on and why San Antonio would be getting all the Blues top tier prospects? Also, if the building in Loveland is going to undergo renovations, don't they need to start about now? Both the Avs and Eagles beat writers have expressed doubts that the Eagles would be ready for a move to the AHL any time soon/by 2018.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Thanks axe for spelling it out. Interesting that the better prospects are slated for SA where Colorado has at least some decent ones and Vegas doesn't have many.

Why would it take so long to announce? Wouldn't it be better for everyone starting the year knowing what's going on and why San Antonio would be getting all the Blues top tier prospects? Also, if the building in Loveland is going to undergo renovations, don't they need to start about now? Both the Avs and Eagles beat writers have expressed doubts that the Eagles would be ready for a move to the AHL any time soon/by 2018.

Tiger...as you well know...secrets in the AHL are about as common as 4 leaf clovers and trips to Mars...they exist but are rare.
The comments about the announcements are purely me thinking out loud based on past history with the AHL.

The question I asked was that I figured most of the "ready to be called up" guys would be in Chicago because of close proximity etc and was told that they would be in SA and there are direct flights to st louis from SA also. So based on that I speculate that the guys like Walman or the tweeners like a Chris Butler will be in Chicago.
I believe that the renovations that are needed can be done over the summer next year or a little at a time during the season...look at the renovations to where Milwaukee plays now...that place hadnt seen hockey in forever and yet was able to be done over a summer and ready last season. Rockford did the same thing to be ready to play in the AHL...they spent parts of the season doing it and also the summer.
Plus the AHL has already let the cat out of the bag with regards to a new team in 18-19...add to that the comments from the ST, Louis guys I spoke with and its easy to connect the dots...plus the AHL must believe it can work and be ready for next year or else they wouldn't have made an "official" announcement...aka commented on leaked agenda for BOG meetings last month...

My 2 cents

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
I really doubt the renovations would be a hold up. Have you seen some of the arenas in the East?

Hell, Portland played in the Cumberland for a season. The BEC would be fine as is for a season if need be.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I really doubt the renovations would be a hold up. Have you seen some of the arenas in the East?

Hell, Portland played in the Cumberland for a season. The BEC would be fine as is for a season if need be.

For the record the Cumberland County Civic Center WAS their regular home for many seasons. It was the Lewiston Colisee where they spent a season while the Cumberland was being renovated.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

Just curious, but how many locker rooms, workout rooms, and facilities for team medical staff and trainers, or ice making equipment have you seen in those "arenas in the East"? I ask because those are the things that generally need to be upgraded in buildings going from lower level hockey to the AHL.

Seating, luxury boxes, and the like are usually the things hyped to the public in renovations, but it's really the "behind the scenes" stuff to reach the AHL minimums that's needed most in arenas.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Just curious, but how many locker rooms, workout rooms, and facilities for team medical staff and trainers, or ice making equipment have you seen in those "arenas in the East"? I ask because those are the things that generally need to be upgraded in buildings going from lower level hockey to the AHL.

Seating, luxury boxes, and the like are usually the things hyped to the public in renovations, but it's really the "behind the scenes" stuff to reach the AHL minimums that's needed most in arenas.

Bingo 210...and as we all know those renovations can be done over the summer ...like I said already look at where Milwaukee plays now...same circumstances except they hadn't had hockey in that building in a loooong while, so they had to really revamp it and were able to get it done in one summer.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
For the record the Cumberland County Civic Center WAS their regular home for many seasons. It was the Lewiston Colisee where they spent a season while the Cumberland was being renovated.

2013-14, and the name was changed soon after to Cross Arena, RN, IT Had previously not had a sponsorship change outside since it was built.... but the Auditorium where the the majority of events has been named as well as the Press Box.

the building was modeled after the Spectrum, which left us in 2009, hence why Lehigh Valley became nomads until PPL Center was constructed in Allentown.

the Androscoggin Bank Colisee still exists, though, it's not in the greatest location despite what Mark Just/Wendell Young did to update the facade when they brought the QMJHL to the Eastern US... IN FACT, Norway Savings Bank Arena makes it look like an outdoor rink, because nobody had attempted a dual rink before.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
A question does San Antonio own their AHL franchise?

Spurs Sports and Entertainment, aka Peter Holt, I just got their season schedule email, yes, besides that, it's the original Adirondack franchise affiliated with Detroit, long before Grand Rapids got that PDC.

SSE, as far as I understand, JJ, also owns/operates the AT & T Center, Freeman Coliseum, the WNBA San Antonio Stars and the G-League Austin Spurs...

Last edited:

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio

Thanks for the correction. The Lewiston arena is, in fact, what I was thinking of.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Bingo 210...and as we all know those renovations can be done over the summer ...like I said already look at where Milwaukee plays now...same circumstances except they hadn't had hockey in that building in a loooong while, so they had to really revamp it and were able to get it done in one summer.

Thanks Axe. This is what I was trying to say, but I somehow managed to make it sound condescending. That wasn't my intention. Just pointing out that there isn't a ton that needs to be done, FWIU, in Loveland to get it ready.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Thanks for the correction. The Lewiston arena is, in fact, what I was thinking of.

ACTUALLY, Nate, San Antonio might not have this, but the Colisee does have its NA3EHL franchise, and now it's reverted back to the old NAHL franchise name that preceded the AHL tenure at Cross.

it went back to the L/A Nordiques.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Thanks Axe. This is what I was trying to say, but I somehow managed to make it sound condescending. That wasn't my intention. Just pointing out that there isn't a ton that needs to be done, FWIU, in Loveland to get it ready.

Never took it that way Nate :) As I said what needs to be done is all interiors...Hockey Ops stuff as it is...just like 210 said. Good Luck this year except when playing Chicago...that's when i hope you get beat like a red headed step child...lol :laugh: no offense to red heads and step children

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As a fan of Chicago, would you be concerned with possibly not getting the top tier Blues prospects because Vegas doesn't have many top tier prospects of AHL age either?

I understand if they need to make the arena happen in Loveland it will happen. Just wondering why both Avs and reporter in Loveland threw cold water on Eagles going AHL "not happening anytime soon or in 2018" unless they were just told to flat out lie. Which I'm not naive enough to dismiss as a possibility but just wondering if there's something we're missing here.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
As a fan of Chicago, would you be concerned with possibly not getting the top tier Blues prospects because Vegas doesn't have many top tier prospects of AHL age either?

I understand if they need to make the arena happen in Loveland it will happen. Just wondering why both Avs and reporter in Loveland threw cold water on Eagles going AHL "not happening anytime soon or in 2018" unless they were just told to flat out lie. Which I'm not naive enough to dismiss as a possibility but just wondering if there's something we're missing here.

I'm 90% sure this is the case. Same M.O. they used when moving to the ECHL.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

Truth be told yes a little bit...not concerned but more peeved. Almost like a big FU to the Chicago fans who have supported them the last few years. But that being said I also understand the logistical reason of doing it that way...that being a chance to introduce their players into their new community and new fans, along with getting them(the players) accustomed to their new surroundings as early as possible.

Anyone who has followed the AHL for any time also knows that they love to deny, deny, deny until they are ready to announce something. So yes a flat out lie to reporters or by reporters is definitely a possibility...I remember a conversation I had with Mike Gordon, the President of the Chicago Wolves, I believe the topic was the west coast movement and I asked him if it bothers the board of gov that nothing is secret anymore and that minutes after talking about something the whole hockey world knows the conversation due to social media etc even though they are told not to say anything. He told me it drives them nuts...they hate the fact that 5 minutes after talking about a topic...its out there on social media and everyone knows about it even though they haven't announced anything yet.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Spurs Sports and Entertainment, aka Peter Holt, I just got their season schedule email, yes, besides that, it's the original Adirondack franchise affiliated with Detroit, long before Grand Rapids got that PDC.

SSE, as far as I understand, JJ, also owns/operates the AT & T Center, Freeman Coliseum, the WNBA San Antonio Stars and the G-League Austin Spurs...

And the USL San Antonio FC.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

I don't know if I'd use the phrase throwing cold water on them moving.... The last article that I've seen published has them discussing the move and the arena would need to be renovated before a move could happen. I don't know if that's throwing cold water on the issue unless you have seen something that I'm missing.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
I don't know if I'd use the phrase throwing cold water on them moving.... The last article that I've seen published has them discussing the move and the arena would need to be renovated before a move could happen. I don't know if that's throwing cold water on the issue unless you have seen something that I'm missing.

Facebook post from the Eagles beat writer stated "Eagles going AHL not happening anytime soon or in 2018". I don't have the link.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00