Value of: Andrew Shaw

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
Shaw is having a pretty good season so far and could help a playoff team. He's pretty useful since he can play up and down the lineup and is pretty good in front of the net. He also come with 2 rings and good playoffs stats.

He doesn't really fit the Habs since they are in a rebuild.

I'm just wondering what would be the value for Shaw at the deadline. Habs would most likely have to take a fairly big contract back I presume but maybe with less years ?

I'm thinking team like SJ who are pretty much all-in this year. Something like Braun or Dillon vs Shaw + Schlemko 0r Benn ??

Anyways I'm just curious to see what would Shaw value be at the deadline and if some teams would be interested.

thanks

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I actually really like Shaw on the Drouin/Domi line. He hustles and is used pretty great. I wouldn't trade him away just to trade him. And no thanks for Braun or Dillon. We have too many #4-5-6 defensemen in our team, I wouldn't trade Shaw for yet another.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't, kind of scenario. Andrew has always demonstrated the ability to play with skilled players. He can create space for them and has enough skill to be able to finish plays. The flip side is there are some warts.
  1. He is prone to brain cramps.
  2. His style of play has lead to some concussions and shoulder injuries. The frequency of both will only increase, as for him to be effective he has to play the way he does.
  3. He makes $3.9 million per for another 3 seasons after this. That's likely $1 million more than he's worth on paper.
Montreal also has a few kids that need a shot and are wasted on in a bottom six role. Guys like Scherbak and Hudon aren't 4th liners. They need to play up in the lineup, or not at all. There's also Nick Suzuki. He's tearing it up in Owen Sound, and I think he stands a real chance of making the club next fall.

I don't see Bergevin trading one of his boys, but if he could get a first for Shaw (or even the same value of two 2nds he spent to get him), I'd do it. If eating $1 million ensured that first, I'd likely do that as well as the club has a large amount of cap space. If Montreal could use him to get a top 4 lhd around the age of 25 it might be even better.

Reactions: Mike Dukarm

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't, kind of scenario. Andrew has always demonstrated the ability to play with skilled players. He can create space for them and has enough skill to be able to finish plays. The flip side is there are some warts.
  1. He is prone to brain cramps.
  2. His style of play has lead to some concussions and shoulder injuries. The frequency of both will only increase, as for him to be effective he has to play the way he does.
  3. He makes $3.9 million per for another 3 seasons after this. That's likely $1 million more than he's worth on paper.
Montreal also has a few kids that need a shot and are wasted on in a bottom six role. Guys like Scherbak and Hudon aren't 4th liners. They need to play up in the lineup, or not at all. There's also Nick Suzuki. He's tearing it up in Owen Sound, and I think he stands a real chance of making the club next fall.

I don't see Bergevin trading one of his boys, but if he could get a first for Shaw (or even the same value of two 2nds he spent to get him), I'd do it. If eating $1 million ensured that first, I'd likely do that as well as the club has a large amount of cap space. If Montreal could use him to get a top 4 lhd around the age of 25 it might be even better.
No one is giving up a first for shaw. His injury history in recent years has been ugly and especially with concussions

He's not a first round pick return type player and he's a major risk to boot

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Shaw is the classic example of a player more valued by the GMs than the fans. There's gonna be a lot of people posting how he's not very good and how he's massively overpaid. You talk to his GM and teammates though and they'll say the exact opposite. He's loved in the locker room and was missed in Chicago when he left.

Montreal has a purpose for having him. They could in theory replace him with a higher skill player but don't have a lot to replace him. Him and Paul Byron have pretty well been asked to play every forward position over the past 2 years.

So yeah, it's not that he's got a lot of worth, it's more that he's so engrained in the team and has such a role with the coach that the asking price is going to sound bonkers and no team would pay it especially with his injury history.

I'm not gonna say he's amazing but he's just not the type of player that gets traded often because unless there is cap reasons, trading them looks ugly to the team taking them.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
He has a lot of importance to Montreal so I'd be sad to see him go, but if it meant that one of Hudon/Scherbak get in the lineup regularly then I'd be open to it

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think many teams would be able to take on Shaw's contract, and I think Montreal would want way more for him than anyone would realistically want to give up for him. It's probably not worth it for Montreal to move him.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Don't love Shaw, but moving him isn't so urgent that we give up our top pick in the best draft in years.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
He'd be a big add for a contender. Has played well all over the lineup in Montreal as well as Chicago. More of a winger but is good on draws. Often plays PP1, taking draws on the strong side and being a net front presence. He's a good PKer that has grit, decent skating ability and pace, and better hands then you'd think. Never takes a game off.

If Montreal falls right out of it I could see him being moved for a 2nd + prospect. As some have said, more GMs like him than HFers.

I could still see him sticking around though. He's a player that's tough to find and he fits well in Montreal.

Reactions: livingod

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
He doesn't score a lot because he's not good enough and he can't skate at an NHL level.

What is the right way to use him?
It seems to me it's always the coaches fault.
Hudon is skilled yes, but useless at every other aspect of the game. A horrible player.

Reactions: bryan1966

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad