Player Discussion Andrew Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I have it on good authority, (friend of shaws brother)
that he is much happier with CJ over MT. He said MT never spoke to him in the locker room, said little and he(shaw) was never sure what MT wanted.

Said the locker room is a much better place under CJ over MT, even when they were winning under MT, its still vastly improved.
Said MT treated alot of players like bags of poop.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
that he is much happier with CJ over MT. He said MT never spoke to him in the locker room, said little and he(shaw) was never sure what MT wanted.

Said the locker room is a much better place under CJ over MT, even when they were winning under MT, its still vastly improved.

Which for me, was always the biggest knock on Therrien...not necessarily his coaching tactics, but just the way he treated players on a personal level.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Not really.

His penalty total was inflated by misconducts and majors.

A lot of people here harped on him for taking too many penalties and seemingly didn't realize his numbers were bloated by a few incidents rather than him actually taking a lot of penalties.

Like Steve Begin, timing is everything. He took some bad penalties, undisciplined things, and offensive zone stuff, at very critical junctures in games. Those happened, we didn't imagine them.

Its one thing if late in a game you hook a guy to stop a scoring chance. Its another to take a dumb one in the offensive zone/neutral zone, and nowhere near the puck. One that comes to mind was when he was skating to the bench, and he just had to stop and body check a guy on the other team. The guy didn't have the puck and was just skating to his own bench. That's dumb and undisciplined. I'm glad he's not doing that anymore.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
The best Leftie-Shaw I can think of is Antoine Roussel.

Sounds good! If we can get him...if price is right! (from the little I know about him...he's a good one).

And, I was just having fun (as I'm sure you know!)...I really meant another actual Andrew Shaw! Adding a leftie Shaw (leftie twin brother if he has one?!!) would be a nice bonus for our LEFT side during the playoffs...in case (for example) someone like Pacioretty doesn't deliver...LEFTIE-Shaw to the rescue!, or...a leftie-Shaw for the 3rd or 2nd or 1st line...RIGHTIE-Shaw for our top 6-9...he did it with Chicago (playoffs)...and he could do it again with Mtl. I'll be shocked if he disappears during playoffs...it'll be the first time I see that from him if it happens. (It won't;) since he lives for playoffs...some have it...some don't... and Shaw definitely has the ''it'' factor for playoffs).

Same for me!
Let's hope he will be even better during the playoffs.

Just wondering...how many here are counting on Shaw for playoffs?
(and if not...which forwards are you guys counting on?).

To me...Shaw (3 CUPS) is our main playoff captain/leader/forward...he has been there (BIG SHOW/real season) more than any other Hab player, yet he's still pretty young. So much playoff experience and lots of winning/success (at a young age). Habs need more of these type of players/playoff winners to end the miserable 0 since 1993 CUP drought.

After Shaw I'm looking at King (2 CUPS) as leader of the 3rd-4th lines (2nd liner in case of many injuries)...and then Radulov (strong playoff pts history) for the top 6...and then there's Danault, Mitchell (warrior/leader for the 4th line), Byron (speed-demon/heart/PK weapon). We don't have many playoff warrior forwards (I hope I'm so wrong on this!), so we should be loyal to the few proven ones we have (ex: Shaw, King).

Cheers!

Go Shaw Go!!
Go King Go!!

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Seems like most players who left/got traded from the habs says the same thing
I remember Bourque, Parenteau, DSP, etc. saying something like that

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Shaw as RW...check.
Shaw as CENTER...check.

He did it with Chicago (3 CUPS)...he can do it with Mtl.

We're lucky Bergevin got Shaw and Danault from Chicago.
(all for two 2nd rnd picks and Weise-UFA+Fleischmann-UFA... good deal).

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Shaw as RW...check.
Shaw as CENTER...check.

He did it with Chicago (3 CUPS)...he can do it with Mtl.

We're lucky Bergevin got Shaw and Danault from Chicago.
(all for two 2nd rnd picks and Weise-UFA+Fleischmann-UFA... good deal).

Andrew Shaw has two Stanley Cups with Chicago, not three. He was drafted in 2011.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Shaw is playing as 3rd line center tonight it appears. Galchenyuk on the left and Lehkonen on the right. Interested to see if Shaw can hold that position for a few games and be effective at face offs.

Oct 22, 2012
Seems like most players who left/got traded from the habs says the same thing
I remember Bourque, Parenteau, DSP, etc. saying something like that

You can even tell in chuckys presser yesterday, his tone and body language appeared different then the last time he got moved to wing. CJ is like one of the boys, want's them to succeed and helps then do it. Not gloat about how far along he's come, and then not speak to him the whole season.

Definitely no coincidence guys like Shaw are giving that extra little bit, doesn't go unnoticed.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Andrew Shaw has two Stanley Cups with Chicago, not three. He was drafted in 2011.

Thanks for that...was waiting for the correction since I myself wasn't 100% sure if it was 2 or 3! Cheers.

Hopefully he wins a 3rd and it's with our Habs!

p.s.: to those joking (or not?!) about Shaw being our no. 1 center...he just might go on to be our best center (or winger) in playoffs 'cause he is the most proven playoff forward/center we have (honorable mention: Radulov has a lot of playoff pts and King has 2 cups). I've watched him a plenty (in playoffs) when he was a Hawk...and he was a mix of a top 6 and bottom 6 playoff forward. He can grind the corners, go to the net, score, pass, give you full effort/heart for every playoff game.

We're lucky Bergevin found a way to get both Shaw and Danault from the Hawks...two major playoff warriors! (well...Danault is still unproven in playoffs but has playoff warrior potential, imo, I hope so!).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Thanks for that...was waiting for the correction since I myself wasn't 100% sure if it was 2 or 3! Cheers.

Hopefully he wins a 3rd and it's with our Habs!

p.s.: to those joking (or not?!) about Shaw being our no. 1 center...he just might go on to be our best center (or winger) in playoffs 'cause he is the most proven playoff forward/center we have (honorable mention: Radulov has a lot of playoff pts and King has 2 cups). I've watched him a plenty (in playoffs) when he was a Hawk...and he was a mix of a top 6 and bottom 6 playoff forward. He can grind the corners, go to the net, score, pass, give you full effort/heart for every playoff game.

We're lucky Bergevin found a way to get both Shaw and Danault from the Hawks...two major playoff warriors! (well...Danault is still unproven in playoffs but has playoff warrior potential, imo, I hope so!).
Yeah, can't wait until playoff warrior Shaw is our number one in the playoffs. Then we'll REALLY be able to score.

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011

So if this is true - which wouldn't surprise me in the least - what in the world would possess the GM to, not only extend, but double down on a toxic influence like this. What's worse, to team up with and take advice from on how to run this club! To allow this relic of a bygone era of coaching to have a say on who to keep and who to ship off. It boggles the mind!

It leads me to believe only one thing: the GM and the former coach were of the same mind on most issues and it was only when things became untenable that the GM chose to make a change; in no small part, I'd reckon, because his own fat was hanging a little too close the fire.

What is rumoured to have happened in the locker room between the former coach and Shaw is deplorable , but it probably means that our former coach will never get another chance behind an NHL bench. It also speaks to the leadership at the top.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
So if this is true - which wouldn't surprise me in the least - what in the world would possess the GM to, not only extend, but double down on a toxic influence like this. What's worse, to team up with and take advice from on how to run this club! To allow this relic of a bygone era of coaching to have a say on who to keep and who to ship off. It boggles the mind!

It leads me to believe only one thing: the GM and the former coach were of the same mind on most issues and it was only when things became untenable that the GM chose to make a change; in no small part, I'd reckon, because his own fat was hanging a little too close the fire.

What is rumoured to have happened in the locker room between the former coach and Shaw is deplorable , but it probably means that our former coach will never get another chance behind an NHL bench. It also speaks to the leadership at the top.

I think you're probably correct, and if so, it raises another question. If Bergevin is of a like mind to Therrien on how a coach should interact with his players, how many other brutes are handling the development of our prospects?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Definitely worth a pair of second round draft picks.

Without question. He's been our best all around forward the last three weeks and keeps ramping up his game. You never have to worry about the effort given with the kid.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
He said MT never spoke to him in the locker room, said little and he(shaw) was never sure what MT wanted.

Which for me, was always the biggest knock on Therrien...not necessarily his coaching tactics, but just the way he treated players on a personal level.

I think in general Therrien may be a limited communicator, not even just in a social sense.

In Shaw's case in particular, it doesn't sound as if Therrien was capable of giving discipline which Shaw could take seriously (which isn't just Therrien's problem of course, but his job is to overcome Shaw's flaws).

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Little talk about this guy since the beginning of the playoffs.

What do you guys think about playoffs Shawzie so far?

A bunch of 0, -2. Not that much visible. Not as bad as captain but very little contribution.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

A bunch of 0, -2. Not that much visible. Not as bad as captain but very little contribution.

I think the fact he was at center to start the series between King and Lehkonen didn't help him too much. I think he's been good, just nothing that stands out.

However, last game, with the line changes in the 3rd and playing next to Pacioretty and Danault gave a spark. Remember this line was a line in November and they had a lot of success. In fact this was the line that finally got Pacioretty going earlier this year.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

But he's got character! Honestly anyone who watches hockey knew that Shaw's offense, not every aspect of his game, was attributed to playing with some of the best playoff performers in the NHL today.

He's doing ok, but like I said when we traded for him he is not the answer to our offensive woes. Without finding top6 forwards, players like Shaw are as good as useless when the team can't find the back of the net in a 1-0 or 2-1 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad