Confirmed with Link: Andrew Shaw announces his retirement

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Shaw was crucial piece for the hawks. Loved the way he played the game minus a few dumb penalties but I take the bad with the good.

Brilliant career for Shaw! Exceptional choice for him to make for his family.

Lets see where he lands as an employee on the Operations side of the hawks family...

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
What a great career for Shawzy. Best of luck and better health ahead.

shaw-cup.jpg

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Sad reality of what concussions and head injuries can lead to.

I know from experience in a way just how devastating head injuries can be. I suffered a shear concussion in 2013 and that effectively ended playing sports for me. On the outside I look perfectly fine but the wires just don't seem like they want to connect way too often.

I wish all the best to 65 and his family and hope everything works out for him.

I'm also a Carolina Panthers fan and was devastated when Luke Keuchly retired young after being a dominant player. When it's time it's time and knowing what we know now regarding the prevalence and severity of head injuries I can't blame players when they put their own health above everything else be it money or fame.

Reactions: Pez68

sandyfalkirk

Jun 18, 2014
Scotland
Damn.....feels like the room is smokey. Tearing up there.

Our warriors/heros are slowly fading or retiring eh?

Seabs, Sharpie, Hossa, Shaw, Crow and the list goes on.

I loved Shaw's bash crash style with some goals too. What a champion.

Wait till Keith, Kane and Toews go.

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
Nice career. Beast mode!
Deserves a standing ovation next time they run ONE LAST SHIFT.

As far as salary cap LTIR for next year and then off the books?

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Was an absolute warrior for us and a hell of a story. His older brother I believe still works here in the Chicagoland area so he will always have ties in this city. Happy retirement Shawzy and I hope he has the best health going forward with his family.

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
When it came to compete, Shaw was always at 11. Epitome of a team guy. Even though his career was cut short, it was quite a splash, especially considering how lightly regarded he was (5th rounder). He'll be remembered.

If he wants to stick around, I hope the Hawks find a role (player development?) for him. I think he'll be able to really connect with our prospects.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Does this mean he willbe off tge books next season or lije Seabrook will still be on the books as LTIR even though mo possibility hecwill evervpkaycahain?

Is the reason SeabsviscLTIR that if he "retires" he would not get any money ..but under LTIR he does (most paid by insurance money)?

If so would not Shaw be entitled to the same insurance and payments owed hom till cobtractcexpiry?

If so thiscwoukd just add to LTIR next sesson...right?

Or is there a difference in the 2 cases?

To me the NHL rule for LTIR in the cases of players who never will play again is a sillly ruke tgat forces a team to not being fully able to replace players as easily as simply deploying their full cap space from the moment free agency begins. Rather than work with the limitations of theTIR mechanism.

So is the Shaw cak soace now in the same boat ofcLTIR as the Seabrook contract or not?
Is there a difference between concussion "retirements" vs.otger physical injury caused "canny play again but mist go on LTIR" cases?

Can anyone elaborate tge CBA rukes for this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad