Player Discussion Andrew Peeke

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I don’t think the criticism was as much about the future dated 3rd rounder, but more about the contract. A lot of CBJ fans were thinking the team would have to add a sweetener to get out from under the contract. The Bruins took on the full contract without retention and added a 3rd in 2026 or something. National media scored it a big win for CBJ.

Hopefully the Bruins scouts saw something that others didn’t and he blossoms there.
Respectfully we have some awful takes on here so I really take what CBJ fans were "thinking" with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Respectfully we have some awful takes on here so I really take what CBJ fans were "thinking" with a grain of salt.
CBJ fans had his trade value at a first round pick 12 months earlier. I understand the frustration after this season... But I based my excitement over Peeke's acquisition on what I had seen from him in the years previous.

So far, he's been a lot more deliberate than I was expecting. Which is good/bad. I know he's getting used to his new surroundings and I appreciate his willingness and adaptability in easing his way in. Some guys are just trick or treat no matter the environment.

But so far he looks like a decent bottom-pair guy and that's not my expectation for him. It's early of course. But I will save my effusive praise for now.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
CBJ fans had his trade value at a first round pick 12 months earlier. I understand the frustration after this season... But I based my excitement over Peeke's acquisition on what I had seen from him in the years previous.

So far, he's been a lot more deliberate than I was expecting. Which is good/bad. I know he's getting used to his new surroundings and I appreciate his willingness and adaptability in easing his way in. Some guys are just trick or treat no matter the environment.

But so far he looks like a decent bottom-pair guy and that's not my expectation for him. It's early of course. But I will save my effusive praise for now.
I'm not sure I'm as high on him, just due to a lack of viewing him in CBJ, but I liked the trade from the standpoint of low risk and the potential higher reward of getting a 25 year old dman who flashed potential in the past to unlock that potential on a new system.

I'd be more than happy if he could be a steady 3rd pair guy at that price since relying on 1 year deals to fill those holes doesn't always work.

Reactions: Hinterland

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Fair enough.

That was a sweet dish to Beecher, and Peeke seemed ready to engage per scrums.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The physicality has been nice, especially around the net. Yeah, he let his stick ride up high the other night which lead to a PP goal, but his play has been much more positive than negative. He's got good mobility which allows him to get to pucks quicker than your average third pairing meat and potatoes dman. He's an obvious starter to me on that third pairing unless his play suddenly nose dives.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The physicality has been nice, especially around the net. Yeah, he let his stick ride up high the other night which lead to a PP goal, but his play has been much more positive than negative. He's got good mobility which allows him to get to pucks quicker than your average third pairing meat and potatoes dman. He's an obvious starter to me on that third pairing unless his play suddenly nose dives.
He was a bit of an adventure in the D zone at times in the couple games I caught him, but I haven't seen all of his games in a Bs uniform.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’ll take those kinds of penalties too. Crosscheck a guy in the face protecting the net, sure thing!

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
If Peeke can become Adam McQuaid v2 otherwise I’m not impressed with his game whatsoever. I’d replace the smirk on his face with some snarl in his body.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
If Peeke can become Adam McQuaid v2 otherwise I’m not impressed with his game whatsoever. I’d replace the smirk on his face with some snarl in his body.

yeah and I'd prefer if my Toyota MiniVan could hit 6-60 in <5 seconds, but it ain't gonna happen.

Peeke is a physical upgrade over Shattenkirk and has higher upside than Derek Forbort. He isn't Adam McQuaid, though. So, prepare to be dissappointed.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
yeah and I'd prefer if my Toyota MiniVan could hit 6-60 in <5 seconds, but it ain't gonna happen.

Peeke is a physical upgrade over Shattenkirk and has higher upside than Derek Forbort. He isn't Adam McQuaid, though. So, prepare to be dissappointed.
If he could fight he’d be pretty similar to Adam. Does seem to be a better skater than Adam though

He just so happens to arguably be the worst fighter on a team that has Parker Wotherspoon on it lol

• Haha
Reactions: KWbruin

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
If he could fight he’d be pretty similar to Adam. Does seem to be a better skater than Adam though

He just so happens to arguably be the worst fighter on a team that has Parker Wotherspoon on it lol
Certainly, Peeke has the better all-around skating and offensive skillset. He has a LONG way to go in terms of being a true shutdown guy like Quaider. The list is LONG for things that he and Quaider will be working on. Fighting is one of many. He's been more than fine so far. I am hoping the B's can help him reach his potential, which I think is pretty substantial, if he can refine his defensive game.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
From what I have seen, he has done ok as a number 6 in a sheltered role. The issue is $2.75M for 2 more years is a lot for that, which is why this was a puzzling deal.

I just continue to hope the upside the Bruins’ staff must have seen to take on this contract CBJ was eager to unload begins to emerge.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Just cuz he was drafted and traded from Columbus he's not Quaider.

Not sure how you see their play styles that similar even?

Thought he's been fine as a third pairing guy. Brings some toughness to the back end. Don't ever see him dropping the gloves and fighting like 54 though.

Reactions: BruinDust

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
From what I have seen, he has done ok as a number 6 in a sheltered role. The issue is $2.75M for 2 more years is a lot for that, which is why this was a puzzling deal.

I just continue to hope the upside the Bruins’ staff must have seen to take on this contract CBJ was eager to unload begins to emerge.
It really isn't that much money anymore, the issue is RHD are somewhat rare. Assuming cap friendly is correct there are only 88 RHD who have played more than 20 games this year, which doesn't even cover 3 per team.

Peeke is the 51st highest paid RHD with guys like Gudbrandson, Gudas, Clifton, Ceci, Holl, Erik Johnson, Schenn, Van Reimsdyk, Schultz, Rutta, Lybushkin, Ristolainen, Barrie, Zaitsev, Murphy all making more/similar money and arguably all 3rd pair dmen themselves. At least the guy we have is 25 and not 30+ years old like many of the above...

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I’ll take those kinds of penalties too. Crosscheck a guy in the face protecting the net, sure thing!
Bad penalty to take. You can protect the net without taking penalties. Two penalties in recent games both that lead to opposing team goals. Not ideal.

Great pass the other night though.

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005

Would u rather it be $100?

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It really isn't that much money anymore, the issue is RHD are somewhat rare. Assuming cap friendly is correct there are only 88 RHD who have played more than 20 games this year, which doesn't even cover 3 per team.

Peeke is the 51st highest paid RHD with guys like Gudbrandson, Gudas, Clifton, Ceci, Holl, Erik Johnson, Schenn, Van Reimsdyk, Schultz, Rutta, Lybushkin, Ristolainen, Barrie, Zaitsev, Murphy all making more/similar money and arguably all 3rd pair dmen themselves. At least the guy we have is 25 and not 30+ years old like many of the above...
I think this is very important context

False Start

May 8, 2018

I’m confused because nearly everyone you named is a better player than Peeke no?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I’m confused because nearly everyone you named is a better player than Peeke no?
Well my main point being those guys are all 3rd Pairing guys and are paid the same amount. Not saying he's better than all those guys just slotted into the same role for similar money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad