Player Discussion Andrew Peeke

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
He may the 4th, but he is a top 4 defenseman in this league. He going to be a fixture on the PK and end of games. He also constantly fights for the front of the net. That's more than i can say for 1/2 their D squad.
:huh:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I too am a Sweeney critic but give the man his due, he got it right with Andrew Peeke.

As for Peeke's contract- it is my understanding that RHD are rarer than LHD, so it makes sense that teams overpay them & overpay to get them. The rarer the commodity the more expensive it is. Economics 101.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Doesn't change the fact that Sweeney overpaid despite being in a position of strength.
We still gonna hold onto this eh?

It’s ok you can let go. He did a good thing, it’s fine to admit that. You are allowed to change your opinion when given new info. This kid is a good player and we are quite fortunate to have gotten him for what should be a late 3rd in 3 years

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Doesn't change the fact that Sweeney overpaid despite being in a position of strength.
I can think of a lot of phrases to describe Boston's situation at this past TDL. "Position of strength" isn't in the top 100.

Peeke has been a terrific add. And that includes the cost to acquire and his salary/cap. Anyone who says otherwise is honestly just looking for ways to be unhappy.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I too am a Sweeney critic but give the man his due, he got it right with Andrew Peeke.

As for Peeke's contract- it is my understanding that RHD are rarer than LHD, so it makes sense that teams overpay them & overpay to get them. The rarer the commodity the more expensive it is. Economics 101.

Not a perfect stat but there have been 178 LHD who have played this year as opposed to 130 RHD. I'd be interested in finding a filter somewhere for size because it's considered common knowledge that RHD with size are a commodity because they're harder to find than LHD.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I’d argue the exact opposite. Especially for bottom pairing D, the best value is a LHD playing the right side.

I think someone said only 78 RHD have played 20+ games this year. So it’s fairly common to have a LHD playing the right side and the best value.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Weird how if you criticize the move from the GM's perspective and people willfully ignore that and continue to pretend it was about the player, no?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Weird how if you criticize the move from the GM's perspective and people willfully ignore that and continue to pretend it was about the player, no?
Weird how even if you're looking to be wrong you'll do anything but give Sweeney his due.

A 2027 3rd rounder provides no value to us for the next 3 years and probably the 3 years after he's drafted. Was always a weird thing to value over a needed add in a position we're weak at

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Weird how even if you're looking to be wrong you'll do anything but give Sweeney his due.

A 2027 3rd rounder provides no value to us for the next 3 years and probably the 3 years after he's drafted. Was always a weird thing to value over a needed add in a position we're weak at

Yup optimistically you are talking about someone who makes the roster in fall of 2020

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Weird because those two things aren’t mutually exclusive. Peeke can be a useful player and Sweeney can still have overpaid for him. I don’t get why you all want to ignore that because it’s silly. They bought a guy at his lowest value but overpaid. Why is that so hard to admit?

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Weird because those two things aren’t mutually exclusive. Peeke can be a useful player and Sweeney can still have overpaid for him. I don’t get why you all want to ignore that because it’s silly. They bought a guy at his lowest value but overpaid. Why is that so hard to admit?
Over paid him? Come on. Name three rounders from three years ago.

I guess I am just a ball washer

Reactions: LSCII and Gordoff

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Would you have paid a fourth rounder for him?

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
What are the odds a third round pick becomes an NHL regular? I can’t imagine it’s very high.

You could even make the argument a player drafted there wouldn’t amount to what Peeke is now.

Don’t get worked up. He’s played well for them. They have him for another year. They needed a boost to their physical presence back there. They needed someone to eat up tough minutes to free Mac up. They needed an upgrade over Shattenkirk/Forbort/etc.

All that for a third rounder and a guy who was never going to play for you again? Seems like a fair price to me.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I’d argue the exact opposite. Especially for bottom pairing D, the best value is a LHD playing the right side.

I think someone said only 78 RHD have played 20+ games this year. So it’s fairly common to have a LHD playing the right side and the best value.
It’s harder to work the walls on your back hand.

I’m a left handed shot and I’m a lot more effective on the left side. And I have no problem making back hand plays. I’m just stronger on my forehand.

The reason there is more left handed D is because there are more right handed people. When you play defence you have one hand on the stick. So you would be holding the stick in your strong hand. The pool is way more crowded on the left which is why there is less nhl quality right players. Big rugged right shot defenders that have the skill to play in the nhl are a commodity.
No. I think ppl are just telling you to eat some crow.
This wasn’t a bad move at all regardless of how you angle your wording. He is young and doesn’t make an insane amount of money. Columbus was a gong show this season.

3rd round picks are by no means guaranteed nhl players. The ones that pan out are nhl destined in 4-7 years away from sniffing the nhl. Boston is trying to win this year and next year. Boston is always trying to win.

Reactions: HustleB and Gordoff

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Everyone taken in the 2021 3rd round or later has played a combined total of 68 NHL games.

so, the odds of that 2027 3rd round contributing ANYTHING this decade are basically zero. And Zboril is on the farm in Cleveland.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Lonnie, I don't always agree with you... But I usually understand where you're coming from.

This one? This seems like you're just being obstinate.

If you don't like the deal still (which is absolutely a totally valid opinion) I could see a "it's early yet - wait to see what he does in the playoffs - he could still fall off a cliff and we'll be stuck with him for another two years - he’s done it before” argument. All of that? Entirely fair and reasonable. It very well could end up that way.

But a third round pick three years down the line for a guy who has played a big part in helping the Bruins get back on track defensively at the most critical time? I don’t understand the value argument you’re making. We received what is (so far) a valuable asset for… well not a hell of a lot. And if Peeke continues to play like this for another two years (which also could very well end up happening) the deal only ends up looking better.

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
You have every right to be wrong!

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
The Bruins will get to reload somewhat next year and I expect them to be competitive for the next 1/2 decade with the current core(even when 63 retires). So the 3rd rounder should be in the bottom half of the round, as have "most" of their picks for the last decade. I do not see the issue as an over payment for a NHL regular. If you get an NHL regular in the 3rd round, you should be very happy, based on the history of any draft.
Add in the fact that we weren't the only team in on Peeke. Yes we were buying low, but other teams were in on it.
Maybe he came to the perfect spot to succeed? We'll never know I guess, but a win is a win. Take it and move on.

Last thought, for perspective. Peeke was drafted 3 positions higher, 34, one year later than Carlo, 37.
Look at how up and down Carlo's career has been. Granted injuries and confidence have played a role in this. But at his peak(no pun intended) he is one of the top 2nd pairing defenseman in the league.
I expect, with health for Peeke to reach the same level. The physical skill set is there. Swap original drafting teams and the development of each player may also have swapped.

I just do not understand how with the history of 3rd round picks, being a crap shoot, how the eye test alone has people complaining about the payment for this deal. Human nature I guess.
With health, Peeke should be around for at least 5 years, 26-31, so we get his best years.

My rant is over, I guess time will tell, but I love what I see as far as instant satisfaction. He could be a 2nd pairing stalwart, or a very high end 3rd pairing for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad