Confirmed with Link: Andrew MacDonald placed on waivers (cleared)

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Was thinking about the waiving of AMac. The waiving is a great tool to use in his case. In an alternate universe VL gets the same treatment.

Likelihood of a claim is beyond slim to none.

I think it's a safe assumption to believe that Hakstol and the organization informed him that he needs to get better in certain areas. Hopefully he takes it to heart and makes positive changes in his game. The organization has already made it clear good play is more important than the dotted line and they are perfectly okay with him riding a bus in the minors if no improvement is made.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Just prefacing that I don't think its happening at all, but how crazy would it be if MacD was claimed?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Just prefacing that I don't think its happening at all, but how crazy would it be if MacD was claimed?

You have to pray for a crazy GM thinking outside of the box. Like Boston. Historically, the Oilers, but they sunk and re-raised that ship.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
it would make this season a success before the puck was dropped
zona, njd, winnipeg & nashville have the most cap spaces

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So what's the matter with Ghost? Is he a wreck in his own end?, as I think he's good offensively.

He has 5 games of AHL experience and 2 games of NHL experience since leaving College. They would like to properly develop him. He was arguably our best defensemen, if not player, in pre-season.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hextall & Hakstol know (regardless of what they say) that this is another bridge year. This a year to move players such as L. Schenn and Streit and maybe MDZ if his value is high enough.

Also possibly a guy like B. Schenn if they feel he's not a fit or Gagner.

Benching them over Ghost who will get 20-22 minute in the AHL and properly learn NHL defense ability under a former HC is more important than him up here, at least for the time being.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Late to the party, but highly supportive of Hextall being blunt that AMac's just not a fit in Philly with that contract.

Hopefully he gets claimed, but I'm expecting him to remain a Flyer.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Bill Meltzer has a good write up on the MacDonald waiving. But here is why it was him and not others:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...Cap-Straights-Even-Without-MacDonald/45/71448

Had the Flyers elected to waive Brandon Manning rather than MacDonald, the team would have gained $625,000 of cap space before Laughton's deal was figured in and wound up with just $345,000 -- not even enough to call up a player making the NHL minimum of $575,000 -- in the case of a non-LTIR injury.

So why waive MacDonald rather than Schenn? Two reasons: 1) With MacDonald making $5 million and having five seasons (including 2015-16) left on his deal, he is quite unlikely to be claimed, leaving him available for recall if and when the Flyers need him and have sufficient cap space; 2) Schenn, making $3.6 million with an expiring contract at the end of the season, stood at least a 50-50 chance of being claimed off waivers. While a waiver claim would take his entire cap hit off the books immediately, the Flyers would prefer to trade him to losing him for no return. Other teams with potential interest in Schenn, conversely, had no incentive to trade for him if there was a possibility of claiming him off of waivers instead.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So this seems more financially motivated than talent. Once Hextall gets his books cleaned up, I full expect MacDonald and his leaky defense back in Philly.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So this seems more financially motivated than talent. Once Hextall gets his books cleaned up, I full expect MacDonald and his leaky defense back in Philly.

Yeah that was my impression. I'm wondering the likelihood of Schenn getting dealt any time in the near future. If he is a scratch on opening night, as has been reported, I can't imagine that there will be too much interest if he's sitting on the bench. He's gotta get out on the ice to garner some kind of interest if the plan is to trade him. If they can deal Grossmann they can deal Schenn.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I feel like its trade deadline day....anxiously waiting for great news to come across at noon.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Just because he was better than others doesn't make him good.

It means the whole defense stinks

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well the point I keep trying to make is that MacDonald's main problem last season was a lack of ES offense, not his defense which was fine as measured by the stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad