Confirmed with Link: Andrew MacDonald placed on waivers (cleared)

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
TSN were showing Kessel's goals with Pitt in the preseason and how dome were from tip ins from passes from Sid where he redirected the pass into the net.

They then said that all of last year, Kessel had only one tip I goal like that. The one thing Kessel can go is THINK like an elite scorer which is a good match for Sid or Malkin.

But Kessel also likes to lead rushes with the puck so there could be some issues that arise that way too.

IMO, Kessel gets 40+ and helps their PP.

I agree. I think Kessel has a big year scoring goals this year barring injury. Whether that is enough to make Pitt significantly better taking into consideration their issues on defense is questionable. I think they end up where they were last year, a playoff team that doesn't necessarily worry the better teams making the playoffs.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I agree. I think Kessel has a big year scoring goals this year barring injury. Whether that is enough to make Pitt significantly better taking into consideration their issues on defense is questionable. I think they end up where they were last year, a playoff team that doesn't necessarily worry the better teams making the playoffs.
Personally I'd love for Kessel to have a huge year, I auto drafted him in fantasy when I missed the first 4 rounds. It would make up for autodrafting Kopitar and Parise when better fantasy options were available

Ilkka Sinisalo

Amazing American
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, W.A.
Man, wtf happened to MacDonald? He was never great but he was at least a solid mid-pairing d-man with the Isles and when he came to the Flyers. You would have thought that he could at least be serviceable for a few years of that contract.

RJ8812*

Man, wtf happened to MacDonald? He was never great but he was at least a solid mid-pairing d-man with the Isles and when he came to the Flyers. You would have thought that he could at least be serviceable for a few years of that contract.

cashed in. stopped caring

RJ8812*

Maybe, but any player who gets a big long term contract could theoretically do that. Most do not.

a lot of players do it. there's a reason why there are so players that work their ***** off if they're in a contract year in order to cash in, then **** the bed after they get it.

I don't really think MacDonald did that. He just cashed in on an incompetent GM that over valued him after he traded for him.

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010

It's definitely strange. And this from a guy who trains (or at least has some workouts) with Crosby and McKinnon in the offseason. You'd think going up against those two calibre talents even in informal practices would make him a better player or at least training methods would rub off. He definitely leaves you wanting more though the contract he has plays into those types of expectations.

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010
Its not surprising because McDonald was never good

Never 5 Million per- good sure, but he is NHL calibre. Or at least was, for a few seasons there. As I said, you'd think training with Crosby and McKinnon would allow him to become better. You obviously aren't going to find much tougher competition than that. He was never going to justify that contract but it would have been nice to get him to step it up some and be more than what he is.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I don't think MacDonald stopped caring. For me, it's more a Peter principle thing. MacDonald looked solid against 3rd lines and occasional shifts against 2nds. We heard this from Islander fans that he's fine if not given the heavy lifting.

Well, he was playing top-pairing minutes and was getting exposed. And even when he first joined the Flyers, the eye test was giving him a passing grade but the stats said otherwise.

MacDonald got paid like a top-liner but should have been kept to 2nd-3rd pairing. And desperation reared its ugly head with Holmgren a) bringing him in for good draft picks and then b) not wanting to lose him, thus giving him a horrid contract.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
He was never worth this contract. His play definitely slipped buy IMO only slightly. The main reason he's in LV and not one of Manning, Schenn or even Gudas is that contract. The difference of play, if any, between MacD and these guys is small so waiving him was far and away the best decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad