Andrew MacDonald appreciation thread

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He wasn’t trolled by the internet. He was a human being who routinely heard 20,000 ppl boo him bc it became a meme. Yes he was not as good as his contract, and was pretty much a no. 7 who was overused during his tenure, but let’s not scoff off his treatment like it’s a couple ppl on the internet who said some mean things.
Fans who boo their own players are embarrassing. That definitely was a low point.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I guess we will find out if he can find another job in the NHL.

Think of all the other players we have recently let go that have ended up out of the NHL within an off season or two.

I guarantee there were people who defended them with your rational as well.

Actually, a lot of our players are still floating around.
Rinaldo, L Schenn, Cousins, Weal, PEB, etc.
And most players who aren't top 6/top 4 tend to fade out of the league after they turn 30.
Where is Read these days, for example. So pointing to marginal players at that age is disingenuous.

MacDonald will be picked up by someone, he's better than a lot of #6 D-men around the league.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I guess we will find out if he can find another job in the NHL.

Think of all the other players we have recently let go that have ended up out of the NHL within an off season or two.

I guarantee there were people who defended them with your rational as well.

How about the guys we deemed too bad to play for the Flyers that played on Cup winning teams or guys that people were upset didn't get re-signed that never or barely played again in the NHL?

It's impossible to compare though. He will be 33 years old next season in a crowded free agent market (at least as far as cheap bottom pair defenders go). I doubt he gets more than a PTO somewhere.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
blame the guy who signed him...

Andy, congrats on making the show.

Homer, what in god's name were you thinking with that contract extension?

I knew it didn't make sense at the time, and I'm a total dope!

630271210.0.jpg

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I'm relieved that this era is finally over. High acquisition costs, ill timing, lots of missunderstanding.
Homer was looking for a mobile shot blocker and Mac Donald ticked the marks. Instead of adding a missing piece to the puzzle, everything broke down soon, analytics took over and the game has changed quickly... Mac took it like a class guy.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
The guy was obviously trying but he was a disaster in his own end. I'm glad he is no longer on the team. I would never boo one of our own players, but some of the mistakes he made were flat out embarrassing.

Again, not his fault, but all of this anger is misdirected and should be on the shoulders of captain beet himself. Probably the worst talent evaluator I've ever seen in the NHL. The fact that Farmer was given top 4 ice time here is what hurts the most.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I appreciate he tried. I appreciate he brought starfish for comedic effect. I am not going to be sad his departure is followed with numerous memes one last time. Jeez.

He's got a good life coming and I'm happy about it

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A little overreaction?
They made the playoffs twice and took two SC caliber teams to 6 games.
Ahem, I think some more talented and "better coached" teams were swept this past season. :sarcasm:

MacDonald by any measure was a solid 3rd pair D-man, wasn't his or Hakstol's fault the Flyers' only top four defensemen the last five years were Streit for a year and Provorov and Ghost.

AMac played a lot of minutes b/c the alternatives were MDZ, Gudas, Manning, Hagg.

Can't blame him for the bad defense under Gordon, he wasn't playing.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
How about the guys we deemed too bad to play for the Flyers that played on Cup winning teams or guys that people were upset didn't get re-signed that never or barely played again in the NHL?

It's impossible to compare though. He will be 33 years old next season in a crowded free agent market (at least as far as cheap bottom pair defenders go). I doubt he gets more than a PTO somewhere.

Yeah the difference is the guy that usually went on to cup teams have talent. He wont get signed because he doesn't.

Also name a player that got as much hate as Andy Mac does but all levels of fans that went on to win a cup.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you Amac.

I admire that he took everything in stride. He was a professional through and through. He didn't say anything bad about the org, he was demoted and promoted and did what was asked of him the best that he could. Other guys came and went and were unhappy with their minutes, usage, the system, but you just f***ing did your job.

It's not your fault you got paid Amac. Anyone would have taken that contract. You kept a level head and our boys liked you.

I hope he finds a place on another squad where he can be better utilized.

Reactions: hatcher

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I will forever remember the MacDonald era as the worst era in my time of watching the Flyers.

He (and Hakstol) epitomized everything that has sucked about these last 5 years.

May their names be stricken from the records.

Absolutely 100% correct.

MacDonald sucked and then the moron coaches kept putting him in key roles. I don't blame the fans for booing him, he signed the contract. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. The dude made far too much money for me to give a single damn about him.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Thank you Amac.

I admire that he took everything in stride. He was a professional through and through. He didn't say anything bad about the org, he was demoted and promoted and did what was asked of him the best that he could. Other guys came and went and were unhappy with their minutes, usage, the system, but you just ****ing did your job.

It's not your fault you got paid Amac. Anyone would have taken that contract. You kept a level head and our boys liked you.

I hope he finds a place on another squad where he can be better utilized.
Thats a classy post. Amac got what he got and it wasn't his fault. He'll be better on other teams.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
one move left..... put Homer on waivers too

many of his trades cost us draft picks :eek: since the 2010 finals, no offense Paul but.....

it's time :nod:

Kettil33

Aug 21, 2016
Farmer was thoroughly mediocre most of the time and absolutely abysmal at crucial times .. the sum of which makes him one of the worst Flyer regulars of all time and we don;t owe him anything but contempt. He's filthy rich and evoked copious suffering on Flyers fans due his terrible play and the negative influence his immense ineptitude had to have the young guys development.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
don't worry.......comcast has a history of hiring guys like amac, after they retire. he'll be back!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad