NFL: Andrew Luck retiring

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sadly, they can't.

Tbis season's edition of the Colts has 0 glaring weaknesses, none. 2 pro-bowl TEs, 3 good receivers, top 5 OL, good defensive line, bunch of great corners, Darius Leonard, etc etc.

Even without Luck, they should be a 8-8/ 9-7 team.

Luckily they've been piling picks and producing NFL talent for 3 years now.

I have faith in Brissett, but let's assume he craps the bed next season.. Colts have the assets to trade up for Herbert or Fromm. There's 0 chance Lawrence ends up in Indy.

I wouldn't say they have 3 good receivers... Hilton's numbers dropped significantly when Luck missed a whole season, Funchess is nothing special and the rest of them are average filler pieces/players.

As for TE - we'll see if Ebron can replicate last year without Luck throwing him the ball.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
So when do we get a bunch for complaints about how Gronk owes season ticket holders an apology for being too injured to play?
To be fair Gronks injury history is 10x worse than anything Luck has gone through and he plays a way more physically demanding position.

There has also been talk of Gronk retiring for years now, so no one was caught of guard like they were with Luck.

And yes, somw Patriots fans were upset at the timing of his retirement because he took too long to make his decision and the Patriots lost out on some FA's

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
To be fair Gronks injury history is 10x worse than anything Luck has gone through and he plays a way more physically demanding position.

Have you evaluated both to make such a bold claim?

- Torn cartilage in 2 ribs.
- Partially torn abdomen
- Lacerated kidney
- Torn labrum in throwing shoulder
- Never-ending calf injury
- Couple concussions

Andrew Luck has no explanations to give to anyone.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
that's cool but nobody wants to pay the NFL in millions for players that make millions don't realize how good of an opportunity they get compared to your average person. Cool they have medical injuries but they also got to enjoy times other people will never be able to get so whatever excuses people have about people with long term injuries and health issues is garbage imo people play football for FUN with no money at all knowing you can get pretty hurt. That's the problem when you draft a football player that's already rich and isn't all that interested in playing the game as much as other players want too.

NFL treats their players like garbage yet continues to make protection rules every year. If anything all the protection and flags flying everywhere are the main reason the game is somewhat(but not really) dying as entertainment. People are allowed to be mad at whatever they want let people complain about someone retiring its their own opinion.

Wow... so it's garbage that ex-players are killing themselves and suffer unimaginable mental trauma due to concussion problems that they didn't even know existed when they played.

Why the game is dying (which I agree with you on) is entirely irrelevant to this topic of conversation.

People can be mad he retired.. But at the same time they should also have a little understanding as to the reasons why.

His timing sucked.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Have you evaluated both to make such a bold claim?

- Torn cartilage in 2 ribs.
- Partially torn abdomen
- Lacerated kidney
- Torn labrum in throwing shoulder
- Never-ending calf injury
- Couple concussions

Andrew Luck has no explanations to give to anyone.

How is it a bold claim to say Gronk had way more injuries than Luck? Seems pretty obvious when reviewing there injury history.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wow... so it's garbage that ex-players are killing themselves and suffer unimaginable mental trauma due to concussion problems that they didn't even know existed when they played.

Why the game is dying (which I agree with you on) is entirely irrelevant to this topic of conversation.

People can be mad he retired.. But at the same time they should also have a little understanding as to the reasons why.

His timing sucked.

If he was due to play week 1 I would say yes. But, there was not firm timeline of when he was due back in the days leading up to his decision.

Guy was likely headed to IR or PUP list.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

His timing sucked.
People with a head on their shoulders really should of known that several blows to the head will mentally mess them up considering it was already proven before in boxing not too mention Mike Tyson beat someone so bad they suffered brain damage and died later on it wasn't something that was unknown like people seem to bring up. People play football knowing that it can be incredibly dangerous for your health its a step down from boxing but people need to stop acting like it was a mystery before. Ex-players are mainly killing themselves over concussions which isn't really Luck's big problems so that doesn't even make much sense from an argument standpoint it would make a lot more sense if we are talking someone like Luke Kuechly who I love but realize that the concussions are probably going to ruin his career and maybe his life if he gets more. Luke still playing knowing all of this I seriously doubt the ex-players you are referring to care much about the consequences until they start happening because they loved playing the game so much.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Instead of being upset at Aikmen maybe they should sit back and realize that FS1 is trash and guys like Skip Bayless and Gottlieb are more a stain on image of Fox Sports than anything Aikman would say

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell

Instead of being upset at Aikmen maybe they should sit back and realize that FS1 is trash and guys like Skip Bayless and Gottlieb are more a stain on image of Fox Sports than anything Aikman would say

I had a feeling that would happen.....just surprised we hadn't heard about it sooner. Those shows do bring ratings, so FOX is going to protect them as best they can.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
As a Lion's fan don't remind me but yeah, this is reminiscent of that. Completely out of nowhere.

Good for Luck to get out before he risks further injury but this really puts the Colts in a bind with the timing of it all.

This is completely untrue.

Sanders wanted to win and requested a trade which management rejected. Sanders threatened to retire if no trade and management again rejected. Sanders retired.

Just bad management. You could get a hefty sum for a player like that and keep in mind during the 90s people were greatly overvaluing RBs. Instead management got nothing and Barry retired

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What’s Fox going to do? Fire Aikman? He’d be scooped up in about 30 seconds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad