Player Discussion: Andrew Ladd

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
This guy looks like he isn't even trying on the ice

He looks old and beat up. He's horrendous. He hasn't scored since before X-mas. When he gets the puck, he just blindly throws it towards the net. He isn't hitting and doesn't dig pucks out of the corners.

Can they buy him out?

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
He looks old and beat up. He's horrendous. He hasn't scored since before X-mas. When he gets the puck, he just blindly throws it towards the net. He isn't hitting and doesn't dig pucks out of the corners.

Can they buy him out?

I hope so, I would trade him for a fourth rounder at this point if we don't have to retain salary

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Can they buy him out?
Pray for a lockout in 2019 and they come back with a new set of amnesty buyouts.

Reactions: Dipietro39

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Stick a fork in him, and keep him away from Barzal and JT.
Weight thought he could help the team-do they need a senior citizen discount when they eat out?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
he is what he is. With a better centre in a top six role he'll produce more (but so would I). You can't expect him to go from Barzal/Eberle to Nelson/Fritz and get points, I'm ecstatic if they keep the shots/goals against under 3/game.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
he is what he is. With a better centre in a top six role he'll produce more (but so would I). You can't expect him to go from Barzal/Eberle to Nelson/Fritz and get points, I'm ecstatic if they keep the shots/goals against under 3/game.

Yes, but honestly the guys who are in the top 6 right now deserve those spots. Ladd needs to start outplaying some players if he wants to get back with Barzal.

I can't believe they paid 5.5 mil for a guy who for the 2nd year in a row won't crack 35 pts. He might not even get 30 this year.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Yes, but honestly the guys who are in the top 6 right now deserve those spots. Ladd needs to start outplaying some players if he wants to get back with Barzal.

I can't believe they paid 5.5 mil for a guy who for the 2nd year in a row won't crack 35 pts. He might not even get 30 this year.

totally agree. But realistically, this is what Ladd is. He can be a solid 3rd liner who can be responsible, provide leadership, chip in the odd goal (like a Ryan Callahan in Tampa). Sure he's overpaid and he does NOT deserve a top six role but a lot of teams have contract mistakes on their books. At least he's USEFUL in some way.

In order for the Islanders to hit the next level, as a team, it won't be Ladd finding his 2008 form, it'll be Beauvillier, Ho-Sang elevating their game (become our version of Brayden Point and Tyler Johnson) along with Tavares, Barzal, Bailey, Lee.

(PLUS, not to leave out the defense, but somehow, Pelech, Mayfield, Pulock, Hickey, Seidenberg, deHaan, Toews, <someone else> - 1 or 2 of them need to become top four players) somehow.

Reactions: dood

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
totally agree. But realistically, this is what Ladd is. He can be a solid 3rd liner who can be responsible, provide leadership, chip in the odd goal (like a Ryan Callahan in Tampa). Sure he's overpaid and he does NOT deserve a top six role but a lot of teams have contract mistakes on their books. At least he's USEFUL in some way.

In order for the Islanders to hit the next level, as a team, it won't be Ladd finding his 2008 form, it'll be Beauvillier, Ho-Sang elevating their game (become our version of Brayden Point and Tyler Johnson) along with Tavares, Barzal, Bailey, Lee.

(PLUS, not to leave out the defense, but somehow, Pelech, Mayfield, Pulock, Hickey, Seidenberg, deHaan, Toews, <someone else> - 1 or 2 of them need to become top four players) somehow.

Ladd can still score 20 goals and play responsible hockey if he had a play maker on the 3rd line. That is why I have been advocating bring Ho-Sang back up. I'm not saying Ladd is worth his contract but I believe the Isles have the making of an effective 3rd line.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Ladd can still score 20 goals and play responsible hockey if he had a play maker on the 3rd line. That is why I have been advocating bring Ho-Sang back up. I'm not saying Ladd is worth his contract but I believe the Isles have the making of an effective 3rd line.
absolutely.

Their only team strength is up front and with Ho-Sang in the lineup, that 3rd line can be excellent. I just can't stand Nelson, I think he's useless and an anchor for that line. But so are Quine, Prince, Chimera, etc. (though Frtiz is kinda growing on me, in a limited way)

If Garth trades Nelson for a defenseman I'd be ecstatic (and beyond shocked)

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
absolutely.

Their only team strength is up front and with Ho-Sang in the lineup, that 3rd line can be excellent. I just can't stand Nelson, I think he's useless and an anchor for that line. But so are Quine, Prince, Chimera, etc. (though Frtiz is kinda growing on me, in a limited way)

If Garth trades Nelson for a defenseman I'd be ecstatic (and beyond shocked)

I agree but unfortunately don't see it happening. I seem to remember Kulemin playing some center last center. I wonder how a Ladd, Kulemin, Ho-Sang 3rd line would be. I think that Kulemin would make the line more defensively responsible while Ho-Sang would help setup Ladd for 20 goals and Kulemin for 10 goals over a full season.

Reactions: dood and redbull

Shimmy Cocopop

Oct 26, 2017
This guy looks like he isn't even trying on the ice

He's like Chimera. He just isn't good at hockey anymore. It's nothing against either of them. They just suck. Unfortunately, our coach took months to realize that with Chimera and at this point our system isn't deep enough to replace Ladd thanks to Snow.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I agree but unfortunately don't see it happening. I seem to remember Kulemin playing some center last center. I wonder how a Ladd, Kulemin, Ho-Sang 3rd line would be. I think that Kulemin would make the line more defensively responsible while Ho-Sang would help setup Ladd for 20 goals and Kulemin for 10 goals over a full season.

was thinking the same thing, but with Casey at C.

Josh is the skating possession guy, Ladd the trigger/cornerman, and Casey the high, defensively responsible, 1st man back.

hmmm....

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
The problem is the contract not as much the player. If he was paid 1 million he'd be okay for what he brings. He will eventually end up in the AHL once most of the contract is paid up, as it is a very frontloaded contract if I'm not mistaken

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
The problem is the contract not as much the player. If he was paid 1 million he'd be okay for what he brings. He will eventually end up in the AHL once most of the contract is paid up, as it is a very frontloaded contract if I'm not mistaken

Even if he was paid 2.75 M, we could swallow it, but 5.5M AAV for a guy who is invisible and a 30 point guy is just a horrible value. He was also given an "A" and I like that he has stood up for his teammates, he deserves credit for that, but in terms of being vocal and rallying us, I don't see the tremendous leader he was billed to be.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight

Can they buy him out?
It'd save us 667k for the remainder of the contract, followed by costing us 333k for however many years were left

So basically he'd have to be noticeably worse than a min-contract guy to make it worth it

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad