Player Discussion: Andrew Ladd

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I think we said this last year lol Hope you are right. I think it is more possible this summer, but you just never know.
This summer is very different than last summer.

Here’s a few ways I can see this playing out:

1. Barry and Lou purposely aren’t playing Ladd this year to justify putting him on LTIR during the off-season.
2. Ladd retires early and works out a deal behind the scenes to take a position in the front office.
3. Lou looks at another bad contract swap scenario like the Ladd for Parise deal at the deadline.
4. The league and the PA come to terms with a compliance buyout solution due to the pandemic.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I just looked at AHL stats and noticed of the 6 games Bridgeport has played Ladd hasn't played one. Anybody know if he is injured? I have to assume he isn't being benched because he is worse then 20 players

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I just looked at AHL stats and noticed of the 6 games Bridgeport has played Ladd hasn't played one. Anybody know if he is injured? I have to assume he isn't being benched because he is worse then 20 players
I think they're going to try to LTIR him this summer with the ole "he was too injured to play this past season" excuse.

Reactions: bigtim1988

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If Ladd could still skate at the AHL level, I think they would try to use him down there to help show the kids the way. Because you always need a few vets around to pitch in and help out.

However, I believe it was Staple who mentioned that the Isles don't see the point in having Ladd play in the AHL and don't want to take any (of the limited) development time away from the younger forwards.

Just my opinion, but that presumably means that Ladd can't even beat out middling AHL vets at this point.

Hopefully, keeping him on the taxi squad is a compromise to give him one more season at the NHL level, without being embarrassed by having to play another year in the AHL, and then a mutually agreeable solution will be found.

Either head to LTIR and off the cap or collect his next bonus payment then retire and move into a coaching or front office role, where he can collect a healthy salary for years to recoup the remaining $5 million he would forfeit.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The AHL has a limited number of games and they don't want to take the ice time away from the youngsters who are developing. Ladd is on the taxi squad to allow for that.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The AHL has a limited number of games and they don't want to take the ice time away from the youngsters who are developing. Ladd is on the taxi squad to allow for that.

It is truly amazing how far Ladd has fallen, that he is (presumably) viewed by the Isles as an inferior vet option to Tom Kuhnhackl, who seems to be the designated AHL/NHL vet depth tweener this season.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It is truly amazing how far Ladd has fallen, that he is (presumably) viewed by the Isles as an inferior vet option to Tom Kuhnhackl, who seems to be the designated AHL/NHL vet depth tweener this season.
Ladd has a history as a NHL captain and multiple Stanley cup winner - for as much as fans crap on the guy, he’s providing some off ice value to the Isles.

If they can move him for the benefit of the team, then based on MIN deal, he’ll go to get ice time. However, he does seem amenable to the situation the Isles have him in (and he’s put himself in by continuing to ‘play’).

One truly has to honor the guys commitment there. He probably could have had a doctor write him off - pun intended, but hasn’t.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Ladd has a history as a NHL captain and multiple Stanley cup winner - for as much as fans crap on the guy, he’s providing some off ice value to the Isles.

If they can move him for the benefit of the team, then based on MIN deal, he’ll go to get ice time. However, he does seem amenable to the situation the Isles have him in (and he’s put himself in by continuing to ‘play’).

One truly has to honor the guys commitment there. He probably could have had a doctor write him off - pun intended, but hasn’t.

Ladd has definitely accomplished a lot in his NHL career and I am hoping he enjoys the ride this season on the taxi squad, but then comes to his senses and both Ladd and the Isles find some reasonable accord to part ways in the off season.

He barely looked competent in the AHL last year and, while we haven't seen him this season, if Lou and Trotz aren't using him on the ice in the AHL, over say a middling vet like Knuckles or career AHL talent like Jeff Kubiak (who can play center but it extremely limited otherwise), then he is probably cooked.

It is extremely doubtful that Ladd will ever make it back to the NHL in a meaningful capacity, even with an expansion team diluting the talent level next season, given the extent of his injuries. At this point, Ladd is probably in worse physical shape than say Hickey.

If it is just more of a desire to hang around and enjoy the NHL-player lifestyle, then that is a detriment to the Isles and ultimately for Ladd (even if he is not ready to face the truth).

Instead, he should be focusing on his next stage of his career and decide if he wants to stay in the Isles organization and in hockey by moving to a coaching, scouting or front office role (mentored by some of the best in the biz), or ultimately be exiled to Robidas Island.

My hope is that something can be worked out after Ladd's next bonus payment, which amicably resolves the situation for all parties concerned.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have a premonition, he is going to disappear to Robidas Island soon. Doesn't seem like he will play professional hockey again. He will be left unprotected, and Seattle will pass on him. Not many options left for him. Had a good career early with the Hawks. Unfortunately, that was many years ago. Atleast he can enjoy fishing in his retirement when that eventually happens.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
What youngsters? There's like maybe three Sound Tigers forwards with any hope of being a NHL regular in the future.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Bridgeport only has a 24 game schedule. Ladd will play zero games down there. This season will be totally about seeing how young guys like Bolduc, Wilde and Holstrom develop. The kids will play

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What youngsters? There's like maybe three Sound Tigers forwards with any hope of being a NHL regular in the future.

Doesn't matter about having a regular NHL future, it's about whether they can play for even a small stint. There are seven rookie forwards in Bridgeport this year, then guys like Holmstrom, Timashov, Koivula, Greer, etc. there just isn't any room for a broken down Ladd.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
We should definitely get him into some BP games in order to set the wheels in motion for LTIR. If he doesn't play, its hard to concoct an injury that necessitates him being effectively retired. I'm still not sure if I COMPLETELY buy Boychuk's injury situation but his is no doubt plausible, at minimum (and likely to be legit).

I can't imagine Ladd enduring another full season of riding the bus in BP next year. The guy has been stuck in the minors/taxi squad for several years now and he's legit losing any hope of playing in the big leagues again. You have to imagine that he and the team will find someway to parlay his past injuries into something semi-permanent. Let him be an ambassador like Boychuk for the remainder of his contract and save him the indignity of riding the bus to Syracuse like a modern day Crash Davis.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

He’s probably just sitting at home on LI. No reason to play in the AHL during COVID when you’re making 5.5M per. Also, he doesn’t have a future as a player for this franchise they’d rather just trial younger guys.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Doesn't matter about having a regular NHL future, it's about whether they can play for even a small stint. There are seven rookie forwards in Bridgeport this year, then guys like Holmstrom, Timashov, Koivula, Greer, etc. there just isn't any room for a broken down Ladd.

This is what I pictured when I read this

upload_2021-3-1_12-8-57.png

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Why are we still here discussing a corpse?
Because that corpse is costing us $5.5m against our cap over the next 2.5 years. If we all lift with our knees, we can hoist this rotting corpse overboard and get rid of the stink.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad