Player Discussion: Andrew Ladd

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not sure if you guys saw directly what Lou said but it sounds like this is being done moreso for him to play games vs permanent assignment but I guess we’ll see.

To me is sounds like an excuse to LTIR him(basically say he is still having injury issues and we don't want to make it worse)

Reactions: duster19

SI

Feb 16, 2013
To me is sounds like an excuse to LTIR him(basically say he is still having injury issues and we don't want to make it worse)

Ladd will not be called up again.

in the offseason, Ladd’s NTC is a M-NTC and maybe there is a possible deal to a team like Ottawa who would appreciate the 5.5 cap hit for the next 3 years for only 10 million of actual cash.

2021 #1 might have to go with him to make it happen.

otherwise, Ladd gets buried for the rest of the deal, but in all fairness his body might not hold up over the life of the contract maybe even this season - AHL is a tough league to play in and you may see him end LTIR.

another option could be a trade for someone like Frans Nielsen- they may have to be some retention in the final year (not sure if that is allowed), but they can be creative and each team can retain some portion of the salary -

Maybe Isles send something to the Wings to take an extra year.

Reactions: JoeM

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
He came here to retire, last contract. It is going to be interesting to see how this ends, but I doubt he sees NHL ice as an Islander again.

Last edited by a moderator:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Ladd will not be called up again.

in the offseason, Ladd’s NTC is a M-NTC and maybe there is a possible deal to a team like Ottawa who would appreciate the 5.5 cap hit for the next 3 years for only 10 million of actual cash.

2021 #1 might have to go with him to make it happen.

otherwise, Ladd gets buried for the rest of the deal, but in all fairness his body might not hold up over the life of the contract maybe even this season - AHL is a tough league to play in and you may see him end LTIR.

another option could be a trade for someone like Frans Nielsen- they may have to be some retention in the final year (not sure if that is allowed), but they can be creative and each team can retain some portion of the salary -

Maybe Isles send something to the Wings to take an extra year.

With most of Ladd's contract paid and the isles not in cap trouble, I am not interested in giving up a 1st or a quality youngster to move Ladd.
Let him ride the ahl buses, while thanking Snow for his fat and unearned last contract.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
He'll be ready for the second half run. Imma gonna make a wild call and say that around that time MDC will be put on the IR..whether it be a fake or real injury...

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Ladd will be bought out when the amnesty buyouts next come into effect (Seattle expansion?) if they cannot trade him before that. I think a trade would be very hard to come by without taking a similarly bad contract back, and now he has been waived there is no need to do that. His NTC will be a stumbling block as any he will want assurances that he will be in the NHL before accepting a trade.

Isn't it great we finally have a GM/Coach with the balls to put underperforming players in the AHL? And isn't it great we have proper ownership who is prepared to pay for that, instead of penny pinching at every turn?? Way to go folks!!

Reactions: JoeM and dood

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Ladd will be bought out when the amnesty buyouts next come into effect (Seattle expansion?) if they cannot trade him before that. I think a trade would be very hard to come by without taking a similarly bad contract back, and now he has been waived there is no need to do that. His NTC will be a stumbling block as any he will want assurances that he will be in the NHL before accepting a trade.

Isn't it great we finally have a GM/Coach with the balls to put underperforming players in the AHL? And isn't it great we have proper ownership who is prepared to pay for that, instead of penny pinching at every turn?? Way to go folks!!

Unless there's a lockout, which can't happen until 2022, there's no amnesty buyouts. And at that point, Ladd only has a year left, so it would be pointless.

Also, after this season, his NTC becomes modified, where he can choose 15 teams he can't be traded to (not that anyone is going to trade for him anyway, in all likelihood.)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If Ladd starts dominating in BP and gets his game back, I suspect we’ll see him back up - especially if we have injuries again. Although we are about to get healthy again so we have another log jam coming.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
at this point he is being given a chance to get his game back...everything in so far as his future depends on him blowing thing up.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
With most of Ladd's contract paid and the isles not in cap trouble, I am not interested in giving up a 1st or a quality youngster to move Ladd.
Let him ride the ahl buses, while thanking Snow for his fat and unearned last contract.

If the Isles want to add top line player, then they will have to rid themselves of that contract.

Barzal, Pulock, and Toews combined salary could be somewhere between 16-20 million and if the team can shed Ladd and Hickey’s contracts then the Isles could add a top free agent F, like Mike Hoffman.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He had 4-5 points in 2 games last season and then got called up and looked like an NHLer before getting injured again.

This time in Bridgeport he had 1 point in 5 games. He's not ready for NHL action. If he puts up say 18 points in 20 games for example and there's injuries up here he will find himself up. Definitely as a black ace in the playoffs.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Just happy this organization is making the right decisions. For many years it seemed common sense was out the window for the Isles. Not any more

Before:

05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg

Today:

giphy.gif

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Yup......where the hell did I get Gordon from?????
Sheesh.....Gordon and Hagen aren't even close........
**** it, I'm blaming Budweiser!!

Tom Gordon pitched for the Royals , Yankees , Phillies , and a few other teams from the late 80s until about 2010.

Gordon was also the pizza delivery guy on Two and a Half Men

Tom was also the cat that chased Jerry the mouse but never caught him .

Hope this helps . LGI

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I hope Ladd goes down, and gives the young guys there some leadership. Show them how to be a pro. I think he can be invaluable to a guy like Bellows who is off to a slow start, he can be sucb a good influence on a guy like this.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I hope Ladd goes down, and gives the young guys there some leadership. Show them how to be a pro. I think he can be invaluable to a guy like Bellows who is off to a slow start, he can be sucb a good influence on a guy like this.
Don't know Ladd well enough, but he seems to be handling his assignment professionally. Not worried about him too much, though.

It's the guys on the team that are probably feeling the biggest change. LL did what was right... put his money where his mouth is, and sent Ladd down. Did what was best for the crest.

And oh yeah, the guys on the team notice. It means a lot to them, to have belief that the coach is doing what's right, not doing things for personal reasons.

This is one of the ways that LL and BT develop trust with their players.

Ladd and Hickey seem to be straight up kinda guys, that may be interested in player development/management. Maybe this is a step toward that, for them? Show loyalty and dedication, whatever your task, and be rewarded later?

Not sure, but so far so good, with management. I haven't been disappointed once, since they've been here. Can't remember feeling like this for so long.

Feels weird, but I'm getting used to it.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
If Ladd starts dominating in BP and gets his game back, I suspect we’ll see him back up - especially if we have injuries again. Although we are about to get healthy again so we have another log jam coming.
I think we'll see Ladd back on the Isles if he is able to catch 6 bass in one afternoon on the Sound with Captain Joe's Bridgeport Queen.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
Tom Gordon pitched for the Royals , Yankees , Phillies , and a few other teams from the late 80s until about 2010.

Gordon was also the pizza delivery guy on Two and a Half Men

Tom was also the cat that chased Jerry the mouse but never caught him .

Hope this helps . LGI

Gordon Chumway was A.L.F.s real name, too. He loved cats, btw.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This thought came to my mind this morning. Will Ladd retire next year? And if so, how does his cap hit affect the Isles. I think the writing has been on the wall for some time this year, he has helped the young players by mentoring them in the AHL. Something I am sure he and Lou spoke about. But paying a player 5.5 even with the reduced cap hit in the AHL is not ideal. His future is a real question mark. Is he ready to retire?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This thought came to my mind this morning. Will Ladd retire next year? And if so, how does his cap hit affect the Isles. I think the writing has been on the wall for some time this year, he has helped the young players by mentoring them in the AHL. Something I am sure he and Lou spoke about. But paying a player 5.5 even with the reduced cap hit in the AHL is not ideal. His future is a real question mark. Is he ready to retire?

I believe Ladd's money would just disappear off the books if he were to retire. It sure seems like Lamoriello is either trying to force Ladd to do that and/or move him somewhere else where he might get a chance to play again before hanging them up.

Reactions: duster19 and MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I believe Ladd's money would just disappear off the books if he were to retire. It sure seems like Lamoriello is either trying to force Ladd to do that and/or move him somewhere else where he might get a chance to play again before hanging them up.
Agree, for a pro like Ladd, it can't be easy riding the buses after riding the planes in the NHL. A buy out would only amount to 667K of cap savings. I do recognize Bellows mentioned his mentorship in the AHL. But you don't pay a guy 5.5 to mentor young players, his cap space would be welcomed on the Isles with Pulock, Barzal, and Toews to be signed as RFA's. Also Martin up.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad