Andrew copp

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
His point pace isn't crazy different from his first few seasons in Winnipeg when he wasn't getting a ton of powerplay time...which he's not getting again. Give him more power play time, he probably pops in a 4-8 more points and he's suddenly a 40 to 45 point player again.

Yup. And he is one of a few players on this team who are a plus in the plus/minus. Maybe ppl could spend a little thought on that..

On average, our team plays 45 minutes a game 5-on-5 and 15 minutes on special teams, a little more PP than PK. Copp is very good on the PK (and our PK was dead last in the league 2 years ago, now it's #12) and gets almost no PP time. And then there are complaints about too few points per game?

While the same guys probably cheer for players who score more, yes - but give up that much more on defense, that it doesn't add up.

I'd recommend to re-watch a few games and check out who is on the ice for goals against on 5-on-5, and what these players do in those situations. You probably won't see Copp very much, or Ras, or Fisher.. because those guys don't get scored on all the time.. :thumbu:

Speaking of Ras, the main issue with Copp is not what he brings, but what the salary is. That being said, ppl shouldn't blame players for the contracts they sign, only GMs for offering them. If Copp made 3.5 a year, in the role he plays right now, there probably wouldn't be much noise.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Not really a fan, but his point numbers aren't that bad concidering he isn't on the pp. Only 2 5v5 points behind Larkin.

1710634140804.png

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
People are now demanding Copp to be bought out.

Seriously, who is gonna play and replace his defensive role, if he is gone ?

Please, give me some names and alternative solutions.

Copp is the unexpected spacegoat of the Wings for sure.

Any responses to your post will likely be big names Yzerman should've signed but obviously passed up on because he loves Andrew Copp and refused to sign anyone else. Nevermind the realities of signing a UFA. Or that he signed Compher the very next season, which is a pretty clear sign of what he's trying to do.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Marco Kasper, Nate Danielson any swinging di* k quite frankly. The guy sucks...
While I'll start by saying that I find Copp to be underperforming - but claiming either Danielson, or Kasper will be better is pretty disingenuous since neither have played anywhere near the level of competition, or talent that the NHL is.

Copp is the unexpected spacegoat of the Wings for sure.

Any responses to your post will likely be big names Yzerman should've signed but obviously passed up on because he loves Andrew Copp and refused to sign anyone else. Nevermind the realities of signing a UFA. Or that he signed Compher the very next season, which is a pretty clear sign of what he's trying to do.
If you ever have a bad day - need a lift - a little humor - can always check out the interesting takes here on how bad of a job Yzerman is doing...Pure comedy!

• Haha
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Copp is what he’s always been. Look at his career stats when has he ever been a scorer? He does match up against other teams best players and he does pretty well. I’m not a huge fan of the guy, but I have no idea what people were expecting out of him, he’s never been “The Guy”
Indeed...While I was hoping for a 40 plus pts guy - he seems pretty much much at home in the mid 30 to 40 range...Not a horrible signing, got overpaid, but that's the beast known as UFA.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
While I understand he was asked to be more defensive, I also don't think there is much "more" to his offence. When in the offensive zone he doesn't make good plays most of the time. I honestly think Fischer does a better job in the offensive zone than Copp. He at least battles all over, while Copp is just kind of there.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Yzerman won't buy him out, not this summer anyway. He will be on the roster next year.

The hope is guys on ELC contracts of Kasper and Danielson can continue to progress and eventually push Copp down the lineup. But with the way the Wings slow play some prospects, that may take a while. It would help balance out the cap situation some.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
This team needs centers. That #2 center slot is the biggest hole on the team. Copp can't fill it. He is barely a #3. That said, he isn't going anywhere this off season. Why? I creates an even bigger hole. (They don't have anyone to replace him.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I love how he’s taking zero accountability and trying to low key blame his horrid offensive production on coaching strategies. “Yeah I know I dont contribute whatsoever offensively, but that’s the role coach gave me so blame him”.

Buy this guy out.

Reactions: rangersblues

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I love how he’s taking zero accountability and trying to low key blame his horrid offensive production on coaching strategies. “Yeah I know I dont contribute whatsoever offensively, but that’s the role coach gave me so blame him”.

Buy this guy out.
Well - Lalonde’s coaching should be under the microscope…How else could you explain the slumps, poor performance, and what appeared to be a general lack of preparation on many nights?

I agree the players need to be held accountable, but so does the coaching staff.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Well - Lalonde’s coaching should be under the microscope…How else could you explain the slumps, poor performance, and what appeared to be a general lack of preparation on many nights?

I agree the players need to be held accountable, but so does the coaching staff.
But come on man, we all have eyes and saw how Copp performed in the ice. He generated next to nothing in terms of offensive opportunities. That’s on him, not the coach.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Buying Copp out is so hilariously short-sighted. Yeah, let's buy him out so he can be on our books at 1.89 million until 29-30.

The last guys Detroit bought out.... Frans NIelsen and Justin Abdelkader. They had 37 points in 209! games. Nielsen had 9 in 70 and 6 in 40, Abby 19 in 71, 3 in 49. while being a combined -44.

To put it in context, Andrew Copp had 33 points in 79 while being a -3

Y'all assholes really like being penny-foolish and pound-moronic.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
But come on man, we all have eyes and saw how Copp performed in the ice. He generated next to nothing in terms of offensive opportunities. That’s on him, not the coach.

Copp 1286 total minutes, 79 games, 33 points deployed 65% of the time in the D zone.
Berggren (over two years), 1032 minutes, 79 games, 34 points, deployed on average 54% of time in the O zone.

One guy is apparently so f***ing good that the executive staff should be fired for not giving him a chance
One guy is apparently so bad that he "generated next to nothing in terms of offensive opportunities."

Y'all have eyes and they're lying to you somewhere.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This team needs centers. That #2 center slot is the biggest hole on the team. Copp can't fill it. He is barely a #3. That said, he isn't going anywhere this off season. Why? I creates an even bigger hole. (They don't have anyone to replace him.)

This team has too many centers that suck at the position, lol. Copp, Raz, Joey, and Fischer.

I may not like Copp, but I don't see him getting bought out until he's completely useless like Nielsen/Abby. Typically, players get healthy scratched or sent to the AHL before getting bought out.

Reactions: heyfolks

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

Copp 1286 total minutes, 79 games, 33 points deployed 65% of the time in the D zone.
Berggren (over two years), 1032 minutes, 79 games, 34 points, deployed on average 54% of time in the O zone.

One guy is apparently so f***ing good that the executive staff should be fired for not giving him a chance
One guy is apparently so bad that he "generated next to nothing in terms of offensive opportunities."

Y'all have eyes and they're lying to you somewhere.
One guy is also doing this as an NHL rookie winger making sub 1 million and one guy is doing it at almost 30 years old after many years in the NHL while making almost six million.

The 6 million player also makes disastrous bonehead mistakes in the D zone despite being a "defensive" player. Copp makes mistakes almost every game that would get a rookie stapled to the bench.

I'm not in love with Berggen (would rather see him traded at the draft) but Copp is probably one of the worst contracts in the NHL right now and could easily be replaced with Danielson or Kasper without much drop off.

Reactions: ShanahanMan

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
Andrew Cope is just making excuses now, he had plenty of opportunities to be the #2 C and failed. Maybe the coaches asked him to be a defensive C once they realized he provides no offence?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad