Andrew copp

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He has been playing much better, it may be below what some expect but he has helped the team and like Trevor Thompson said. May have been our best line this last stretch. His value on the PK is tremendous alone. 40-50 points, he is earning that contract currently.
LOL, let's not get carried away. $5.6M for a 40pt 3C is still overpayment. His PK is solid, but he's also super soft. 8 hits, last on the team other than Kane. I'm hoping he has another gear if the team makes the playoffs. He's benefiting from Raz finding his game again, that play yesterday was amazing.

That means he's still not a 2C, lol.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
LOL, let's not get carried away. $5.6M for a 40pt 3C is still overpayment. His PK is solid, but he's also super soft. 8 hits, last on the team other than Kane. I'm hoping he has another gear if the team makes the playoffs. He's benefiting from Raz finding his game again, that play yesterday was amazing.

That means he's still not a 2C, lol.

That's why I mentioned currently, his play earlier in the year I was pretty critical of. He will hopefully find the middle ground between the 2. Overpayment but by a million or so , which isn't the worst case scenario when free agent shopping.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's why I mentioned currently, his play earlier in the year I was pretty critical of. He will hopefully find the middle ground between the 2. Overpayment but by a million or so , which isn't the worst case scenario when free agent shopping.

Agree, it's not. I just wish he was more physical, he had the reputation of being tough to play against, but he has zero physicality. I don't know if that core injury is still bothering him, but he's thrown 8 checks this season, and I know half of those were just shoves well after the puck was gone.

He's definitely streaky. He followed up that 5 game point streak with 3 zeroes, and he has one 6 game, one 5 game, and two 4 game pointless streaks on top of the recent drought. I'd be happier if he had a point every other game instead of being so streaky. Of course, the same complaint can be made towards many players in the league, lol.

I think Raz' recent performance is helping him out a lot, and I like the fact that Copp is shooting more. When the team is facing shitty goalies, the whole team needs to throw the puck on net. Copp has been doing his part.... except that Carolina game where everyone sucked. I was definitely yelling at him to shoot, lol.

I'm not a Copp fan, but I am a Wings fan. If Copp scores, the team wins, so I wish him the best. Get that second 100 goals bitch, lol.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Both Pro-Copp and Anti-Copp camps are saying the same thing: He is a 0.5ppg, solid and hard-working, two-way Center who can eat a ton of penalty kill minutes and draws top defensive assignments.

5x for 5.6 is not an overpayment for a under-30 UFA Center. It is market rate. You want a guy who does this? That is the cost (see: Phillip Danault, Ryan Strome, Blake Coleman, etc.) You want more than a PPG? You're paying either in term (Trocheck, Hyman) or in AAV (Kadri). You want the output but don't want to pay with term? - You're paying big money for a 2yr or you need to pick up someone past their prime(Killhorn)

Otherwise you are treading into the Wennberg, Suter, Jarnkrok, level - for 3x for 12M territory; guess what? You all hated Suter too as a 2C and his 20pts.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Both Pro-Copp and Anti-Copp camps are saying the same thing: He is a 0.5ppg, solid and hard-working, two-way Center who can eat a ton of penalty kill minutes and draws top defensive assignments.

5x for 5.6 is not an overpayment for a under-30 UFA Center. It is market rate. You want a guy who does this? That is the cost (see: Phillip Danault, Ryan Strome, Blake Coleman, etc.) You want more than a PPG? You're paying either in term (Trocheck, Hyman) or in AAV (Kadri). You want the output but don't want to pay with term? - You're paying big money for a 2yr or you need to pick up someone past their prime(Killhorn)

Otherwise you are treading into the Wennberg, Suter, Jarnkrok, level - for 3x for 12M territory; guess what? You all hated Suter too as a 2C and his 20pts.
I'm not sure the bolded is true, which is what distinguishes guys like Danault and Coleman from Copp. Danault and Coleman can both take top defensive matchups and at still tilt the ice in their favor. Copp (with Compher and Rasmussen/Perron) was treated as a true matchup line early in the year and got caved in. The current Copp-Rasmussen-Fischer line is handling a lighter workload in terms of competition.

Reactions: Gniwder

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"

Edit: Does Copp post on HFBoards about himself or something?

Congrats to Copp.

I do have to admit that all of the talk of Red Wings "milestones" the last couple of weeks, I just kind of roll my eyes at. Nothing against the current players (and this is obviously a function of most of them being relatively young in their careers), but having grown up with the 90s and early 00s Wings' teams, players going for their 100th goal or playing in game 500, or whatever, seems rather pedestrian.

I guess really this should go to further show how great the Wings were in those past eras. I was at the games for Paul Coffey's 1000 assist (first Defenseman in NHL history to get there), Igor Larionov's 100th goal (a big deal for that stage of his career), Steve Yzerman's 500th goal (which was huge at the time, and then he went on to score another 192 goals), and many others. Ciccarelli hit 500 goals with the Wings. Then to think of the '02 squad that had 4 500+ goals scorers (Hull, Yzerman, Shanahan, Robitaille) plus Lidstrom and all of his accomplishments, and then what Datsyuk and Zetterberg achieved in the following years. Heck, even to think that 1000 career games seemed ordinary when you had all of the aforementioned players hitting that plus Draper, Maltby, Holmstrom. And then you've got Cheilos, 3-time Norris winner, 2-time Cup winner, most games played by a Damn. It's crazy.

Hopefully, as Yzerman says he's building a foundation to multi-year success, the Wings get back to a point where these current milestones seem quaint in retrospect.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Congrats to Copp.

I do have to admit that all of the talk of Red Wings "milestones" the last couple of weeks, I just kind of roll my eyes at. Nothing against the current players (and this is obviously a function of most of them being relatively young in their careers), but having grown up with the 90s and early 00s Wings' teams, players going for their 100th goal or playing in game 500, or whatever, seems rather pedestrian.

I guess really this should go to further show how great the Wings were in those past eras. I was at the games for Paul Coffey's 1000 assist (first Defenseman in NHL history to get there), Igor Larionov's 100th goal (a big deal for that stage of his career), Steve Yzerman's 500th goal (which was huge at the time, and then he went on to score another 192 goals), and many others. Ciccarelli hit 500 goals with the Wings. Then to think of the '02 squad that had 4 500+ goals scorers (Hull, Yzerman, Shanahan, Robitaille) plus Lidstrom and all of his accomplishments, and then what Datsyuk and Zetterberg achieved in the following years. Heck, even to think that 1000 career games seemed ordinary when you had all of the aforementioned players hitting that plus Draper, Maltby, Holmstrom. And then you've got Cheilos, 3-time Norris winner, 2-time Cup winner, most games played by a Damn. It's crazy.

Hopefully, as Yzerman says he's building a foundation to multi-year success, the Wings get back to a point where these current milestones seem quaint in retrospect.
I mean, I think this milestone was considered pretty quaint in the moment. I mean, all that happened with Copp's 100th was that he was asked one question about it in the intermission following the goal. Wasn't like they gave him a ceremony and he made a speech lol.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I mean, I think this milestone was considered pretty quaint in the moment. I mean, all that happened with Copp's 100th was that he was asked one question about it in the intermission following the goal. Wasn't like they gave him a ceremony and he made a speech lol.

Ken Daniels kept mentioning Copp's 100th, Compfer's 100th, and Larkin's 200th over the course of several games. I know there hasn't been much to celebrate in recent years, and of course they're going to pump up the current team as much as possible, but after several games of Daniels bringing it up, I found it to be a little much, like are these milestones really that big of a deal?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Ken Daniels kept mentioning Copp's 100th, Compfer's 100th, and Larkin's 200th over the course of several games. I know there hasn't been much to celebrate in recent years, and of course they're going to pump up the current team as much as possible, but after several games of Daniels bringing it up, I found it to be a little much, like are these milestones really that big of a deal?
It's all relative. Relative to your comparison earlier, they are certainly not a big deal. Relative to the difficulty of making the NHL and having a sustained career, kind of a big deal. I certainly prefer celebrating 1000 games, 500 goals, etc., but I think the days of having a bunch of those types of milestones on the same team are long gone. Guys don't play that long anymore, and there's a salary cap, so you can't stack a bunch of them anyway. NOW ENJOY COPP'S 100TH!! :naughty:

Reactions: sepster

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

"Doesn't mean shit"

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
yeah, like, who hasn't scored a 100 goals in the NHL? I know I have. what kind of losers celebrate being in the 0.1% best hockey players in history?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
How many games is that?
9ish games

1706630424406.png

Reactions: sepster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad