Andrew Berkshire: Ranking the Top 20 Defencemen in the NHL, by the Numbers

fiveonfive

Feb 2, 2016
This is why I hate advanced Stats Matt Niskanen makes the list yet Weber is nowhere to be found.

I can't wait for the advanced fad to die and it will once John Chyka fails in Arizona and he will

You hate the fact that a guy with not-as-good numbers did not get featured in a "by-the-numbers" article over a guy with better numbers?

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
no, but I can show you that corsi has a heavy correlation with winning...and that is all that matters...
Do you define "heavy correlation" as anything with a R² of above 0.2-0.3? Because that is not heavy correlation.
Screen-Shot-2015-11-05-at-11.56.02-AM.png

What this shows is, in case of teams - I did not bother searching for individual players because I don't think it's been analyzed properly yet, you can probably do that for last season and obtain similar results - something I greatly invite you to do --, is that good corsi "helps" winning but is not the end of all, as there is a bunch of variaion introduced by other factors of the game.

Corsi works, because over 10 games or more, a team takes hundreds of shot attempts and conceded hundreds of shot attempts. Some are high danger, some are low. The distribution high danger shots/ medium danger shots/ low danger between teams is not nearly as different as their #of shot attempts taken or faced though. Like I said earlier, have you ever seen one team continuesly have breakaways and the other shoot from center ice? It's more likely that if you gave up more total shots, you game up more shots from the slot as well.
These are asumptions. The shot "danger/quality" distribution won't be similar from team to team, but rather should be similar between teams that play similar systems. This is something I would like to be proven/disproven, some day.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Did you miss the part where they do worse without him? His relStat is positive. What about the year before when he did have a greater than 50% GF and a positive relGF? And also him and Methot being an almost 60 GF% when together when they take on top lines every night when together?

Also, do you actually believe that Wideman, Ceci, Methot, and Cowen are better 5v5 players than Erik Karlsson? You must have misspoke.

All I said was Ek65 is not a positive player last year 5 on 5. Methot was you told me how bad Methot was without Karlsson. Have a look at karlsson without Methot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad