Speculation: Andrew Alberts to retire due to concussion symptoms

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Having headaches every day? Oh man, that just scares the crap out of me. I can't imagine how you can live with that.

As someone who lives with serious migraines on a regular basis, I can confirm it sucks.

I'm sure you're surprised to hear that, since it would seem like it would be great fun ;)

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
diving into retirement

-flames fans

Such commitment to the act. The Canucks truly deserve their reputation. :sarcasm:

That particular hit was a direct target to the head. I remember on the main boards people calling AA a diver and faking an injury on that hit. Sad
And it will have little bearing on challenging the league's pitiful attempt at "protecting" player's brains because it's Andrew Alberts and not a marketable player. Time and again the NHL reinforces the concept that health is only a concern when the injured party can make them money.

edit: and the media's no better. How many "summits" do you think they'd be calling for right now if it was Crosby announcing his likely retirement today?

Agreed. It was about as blatant a hit to the head as you could get - with full video evidence. When even this doesn't get that talentless P.O.S a suspension you just know you can't take this league seriously. A complete ****ing joke.

Wow, poor guy. I was really concerned about him when he wasn't coming back. Has he had any known concussions in the past?

All we can hope for now is that his symptoms go away and don't bother him for the rest of his life.

He did have one when he was with the Bruins back in 2007.

Hopefully it ends up not affecting his livelihood after his playing days.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Noticed DBR's comment trolling Flames fans on that PHT article which is a nice touch.

As suspected. A tough way to end your career; even tougher when the guy who ended his career doesn't even get a fine and the opposing team is accusing you of faking and diving to this day.

The NHL's supposed commitment to removing head-shots from the game is an absolute joke.

EDIT* As noted by the author:

God, that article really pissed me off:

I guess we can call this the Hartley effect. No respect for your opponents or the game.

Fully agreed. Reading this part pisses me off as well:

Andrew Alberts never heard from McGrattan, either.

“I don’t think that’s in his nature,” he says. “I think there should have been some supplemental discipline. If I’m Sidney Crosby, it’s probably a 15-game suspension. The frustrating part is I’m working my ass off trying to be on the team and get in the lineup, something like that happens and the guy gets off free and now here I am just hoping I can have one day without headaches

Hard not to feel angry at the league because you just know if it had been, like he said, on Crosby instead of Alberts that P.O.S would have been gone for the season or something. It's still unbelievable - and scary - that he got off scot-free.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I didn't even think the hit was that bad compared to things we see way more often. Alberts was bent down and reaching in to the hit. I dunno.

It was a nasty knock to the head

however as far as being a dirty hit its not as bad as a shoulder to the head IMO... but that is giving the benefit of the doubt that the hands being up by his head was an accident...

but given the facts and the precedent that was set by the Kassian suspension not long before... The Canucks get screwed again...

I have read it posted on here, that the NHL (seems to) use Canuck players, to give precedent setting suspensions... and then seems to never back up with the same suspensions for similar hits... (Rome, Kassian, Edler, Hansen)... I tend to agree with that

As far as Alberts goes... Sucks, and I think he is a great bottom pairing D on a skill side... Big and can Hit hard, will not blow you away but was solid when given long goes...

If this did not happen then I feel he would have been a victim of the terrible coach we had this year, and may be struggling for a contract...

Hope he still gets paid a good amount while he is still sick...

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I went back and flipped through the thread about the hit.........and quickly had to close it. The amount of ignorance in it was disgusting then and still is. what the hell hockey fans.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Sad news. I hope the NHLPA has some sort of insurance for guys coming off career ending injuries because Alberts could have gotten another year or two out of the NHL as a cheap spare.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Tragic end to another career. Alberts truely had one of the unluckiest seasons a guy could have. All the best to him and his family. I hope he has a full recovery and can move on to another career he gets full enjoyment of.

No Face No Case

Feb 28, 2012
If Sestito does that same hit to Cammaleri he gets a 15-20 game suspension.

I hope Vancouver picks up Shawn Thorton as some back up for Tommy.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

One bad hockey player in the line-up didn't stop Alberts from getting hurt, why would another? Sestito is apparently there to protect people but he didn't protect ****.

Gawd. Doubling down on bad hockey players.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC

Blah. Screw Shawn Thornton and players like him. The Canucks don't need to get stupid to win hockey games.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Brian McGratton, you are a piece of work. But never mind, this is not about you. Or a shameful League.

Andrew Alberts, congrats on a fine career. Maybe a better and longer one than many predicted for you!

You were a trier, a warrior, always game and always giving your best. May you be headache free soon.

For all his flaws, he seems to have taken his role as a #7-8 dman very seriously. He spent long periods of time in the press box when we could have at least had him helping out in Utica/Manitoba, and he never complained to the press. All the best to him.

both of these. stunning stunning professionalism, was always ready to do his best when needed.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
One bad hockey player in the line-up didn't stop Alberts from getting hurt, why would another? Sestito is apparently there to protect people but he didn't protect ****.

Sestito jumped right in when he saw the hit. You could see him skating by right after it happened, and he threw his gloves to the ice. Some people just have blind hate for Sestito. It's annoying.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Sad news. I hope the NHLPA has some sort of insurance for guys coming off career ending injuries because Alberts could have gotten another year or two out of the NHL as a cheap spare.

There is an injured player's fund, though I don't know how much it is (at least suspension salary goes into it).

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
It was a garbage hit from a garbage player. Good for McGrattan for beating alcoholism, doesn't automatically make him a good guy or absolve him in any way. Lance Armstrong beat cancer and he's one of the biggest a-holes around. The fact that Alberts had already washed his hands of McGrattan tells you what kind of guy McGrattan is; no apology coming, no apology expected.

I'm sure Hartley loves him and loved the hit, maybe that's what he was screaming across the rink when Daniel was laying motionless on the ice, stretchered off and everyone else was worried for his health, "I love you Brian, I effing love you!!". Didn't like Torts going to the dressing room because Bob started his goons, but I would have been fine with it if Torts had charged him after Hartley's disgusting display after the Sedin hit.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I could be wrong but I believe the full NHL pension starts when you have played 400 career games, so Alberts has that at least.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Sestito jumped right in when he saw the hit. You could see him skating by right after it happened, and he threw his gloves to the ice. Some people just have blind hate for Sestito. It's annoying.

Sestito threw them down so many times for the team this season, he really impressed me. He plays a good game for a 4th liner and knows his role on the team, good guy to have.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
It was a garbage hit from a garbage player. Good for McGrattan for beating alcoholism, doesn't automatically make him a good guy or absolve him in any way. Lance Armstrong beat cancer and he's one of the biggest a-holes around. The fact that Alberts had already washed his hands of McGrattan tells you what kind of guy McGrattan is; no apology coming, no apology expected.

I'm sure Hartley loves him and loved the hit, maybe that's what he was screaming across the rink when Daniel was laying motionless on the ice, stretchered off and everyone else was worried for his health, "I love you Brian, I effing love you!!". Didn't like Torts going to the dressing room because Bob started his goons, but I would have been fine with it if Torts had charged him after Hartley's disgusting display after the Sedin hit.

Agree. Man I wish Torts had got to him.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

He meant that enforcers don't prevent these plays. You said it yourself. Sestito jumped in after the hit. It's not a slight on him.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver

I can only assume you didn't watch too much Canucks hockey last season. Sestito was name dropped by Torts as the most improved player of the year for a reason.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
Has anyone herd anything about Mr Alberts?

Even though his contract has expired and he is a UFA. I was wondering if the Canucks still pay him until he is medically cleared to play? Like any job, if you are hurt you are compensated by the employer, just wondering how it works with expiring contracts.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Has anyone herd anything about Mr Alberts?

Even though his contract has expired and he is a UFA. I was wondering if the Canucks still pay him until he is medically cleared to play? Like any job, if you are hurt you are compensated by the employer, just wondering how it works with expiring contracts.
Former #Canucks defenseman Andrew Alberts suffered a concussion on Dec 29th 2013 - he still has not been cleared for contact.

https://twitter.com/News1130Sports/status/507544145020588032

Makes me sick to my stomach

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland