Speculation: Andrew Alberts to retire due to concussion symptoms

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
How long was he signed?, curious about the cap implications.

Of course it's terrible he will retire, flames fans said he was diving. Pretty pathetic.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
I hope he has a good retirement. Sad to see guys go down like that.

I also hope the NHL gets sued big time. Then maybe the owners would actually want to clean up the league.

Dr. Nucksfan

Sep 23, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Brian McGratton, you are a piece of work. But never mind, this is not about you. Or a shameful League.

Andrew Alberts, congrats on a fine career. Maybe a better and longer one than many predicted for you!

You were a trier, a warrior, always game and always giving your best. May you be headache free soon.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Feel bad for the guy, awful news.
I hope he and other players like him sue the NHL for compensation.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Also from the article:

Former Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said shortly after the incident the league claimed to be unsure of the precise point of contact on the hit, although replays seem clear enough. The NHL does not comment on incidents that do not involve supplemental discipline.

Go NHL!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His career was over anyway as it was a confusing miracle he was given another contract for last year.

That said, yeah, the non-suspension on that play was as baffling as it gets. Blatant forearm shiver to the head, causing a serious injury. From a goon. Should have been at least 5-8 games.

Best of luck to Alberts in the future. Seemed like a good guy even if I wasn't a fan of him as a player.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah. At his age and ability level, his career was probably over anyway. But that's a really unfortunate way to have it brought to an end, and a joke that there weren't greater repercussions on that play.

Hopefully his symptoms subside and he can really enjoy his retirement. Actually have to wonder if he may end up getting involved in coaching at some point. Seems like the type of well liked "team player" guy who certainly didn't get by on "pure talent" who often make a decent transition to coaching...at some level or another.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
His career was over anyway as it was a confusing miracle he was given another contract for last year.

That said, yeah, the non-suspension on that play was as baffling as it gets. Blatant forearm shiver to the head, causing a serious injury. From a goon. Should have been at least 5-8 games.

Best of luck to Alberts in the future. Seemed like a good guy even if I wasn't a fan of him as a player.

Really don't think anyone would have had any objections to alberts resigning one year 600k deals perfect spare d

Great job nhl great job

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Terrible way for his career to end. I know a lot of folks didn't think he was a good player, but I always felt he was a good soldier for us, and a pretty solid depth d-man. Sad to see it end like this, but I wish him the best.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Poor Alberts. It really seems like the Canucks get screwed. It was a high hit that directly propelled Alberts' head into the glass.... and nothing. Then you get the same team, shoving Dank's head into the boards from behind and, well ok, he's a star Canuck, so an in-game penalty is enough...

Meanwhile, Edler can't brace for a hit, or try to stop a puck from being cleared along the boards without a suspension. Part of me thinks the league has an agenda, and the other part of me thinks they are too incompetent to orchestrate some sort of hidden plan. Although letting the Bruins get away with murder in the SCF makes me think they don't really care to hide their plans anyways...

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
I hope Bob Hartley doesn't last too much longer in Calgary. The man has always been a menace and I don't like having him in our division. It's no wonder Torts hates his guts.

I can't believe the quote about Shanahan being unable to determine the point of contact. I really want to get out of the business of arguing the league has it out for us, but they keep dragging me back in.

Maybe Linden can find something in the organization for Alberts. For all his flaws, he seems to have taken his role as a #7-8 dman very seriously. He spent long periods of time in the press box when we could have at least had him helping out in Utica/Manitoba, and he never complained to the press. All the best to him.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Poor Alberts. It really seems like the Canucks get screwed. It was a high hit that directly propelled Alberts' head into the glass.... and nothing. Then you get the same team, shoving Dank's head into the boards from behind and, well ok, he's a star Canuck, so an in-game penalty is enough...

Meanwhile, Edler can't brace for a hit, or try to stop a puck from being cleared along the boards without a suspension. Part of me thinks the league has an agenda, and the other part of me thinks they are too incompetent to orchestrate some sort of hidden plan. Although letting the Bruins get away with murder in the SCF makes me think they don't really care to hide their plans anyways...

Really hoping we're in their good books again with Linden and Benning on board. The only potential fly in the ointment is Burrows. I'm sure there's still hard feelings from his Auger press conference, even if the league tacitly agreed by forcing Auger into retirement not long after.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
I didn't even think the hit was that bad compared to things we see way more often. Alberts was bent down and reaching in to the hit. I dunno.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
at least McGrattan is a weirdo creep who's probably dead inside? He has to live with himself, anyways.

So sad for Alby. I saw him downtown the day of game 7 against Chicago in 2011, I said some weird stuff to him because I was really emotional about the game.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
at least McGrattan is a weirdo creep who's probably dead inside? He has to live with himself, anyways.

So sad for Alby. I saw him downtown the day of game 7 against Chicago in 2011, I said some weird stuff to him because I was really emotional about the game.

McGrattan has had his own demons to wrestle with. Ones that show he hasn't always had the easiest time living with himself.

And those sort of problems are certainly not something i'd ever wish upon another person either.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011

What did you say to him?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1