Player Discussion: Andrej Sustr

jayck

Aug 5, 2013
Montreal
Good to hear. Cuz I drafted him in my simulated league :P
Don't know why, but I had a good feeling about him plus the fact that Tampa needed a guy like him at the time.
Hope he'll continue on this pace!

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/big-future-expected-for-sustr/2154701
"If there's anything holding Sustr back, it's just his physical body makeup," coach Jon Cooper said. "He's still kind of got a little bit of a boy's body. He doesn't have a pro body yet.

"He's going to be growing into himself. We get him a year or two in the weight room and really working on his core strengths, and when he starts physically to mature, you're going to see the kid jump leaps and bounds.

"But that doesn't take away from how heady a player he is, how smart he is, being in the right positions," Cooper said. "He is not afraid to try to make a play even if it costs him a mistake, because we're encouraging that. All those aspects of his game are there. It's just his physical strength needs to be better."
Cooper said Sustr can be overwhelmed in the defensive zone by some bigger players. But assistant coach Rick Bowness raves about Sustr's hockey sense and "innate confidence" in jumping into a rush, not to mention a reach that's great for gap control in the neutral zone.

"It's kind of Chara-esque in a way," Cooper said. "He can stand on your blue line and put his stick on the far blue line. It's hard to get through there."
"He's in the infancy of his career," Cooper said. "If he's playing like this, can't wait to see him months, years from now. It'll be a lot of fun."

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Can Sustr gain 30 lbs of muscle?

He is the hockey version of "the Mad Stork". He looks like a stick man that will break but seems to have hockey smarts. He has little strength unfortunately and is 23 years old. I suspect he will always be a stringbean. 30 lbs heavier he could be a #2D.

"Big future expected for Sustr

....................."If there's anything holding Sustr back, it's just his physical body makeup," coach Jon Cooper said. "He's still kind of got a little bit of a boy's body. He doesn't have a pro body yet.

"He's going to be growing into himself. We get him a year or two in the weight room and really working on his core strengths, and when he starts physically to mature, you're going to see the kid jump leaps and bounds.

"But that doesn't take away from how heady a player he is, how smart he is, being in the right positions," Cooper said. "He is not afraid to try to make a play even if it costs him a mistake, because we're encouraging that. All those aspects of his game are there. It's just his physical strength needs to be better." "

http://tbtpics.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/big-future-expected-for-sustr/2154701

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
If Sustr put on 30lbs of muscle and kept his smooth skating ability he would be a freak. The good kind of freak.

30 lbs of muscle? That may be a bit much, but then again he is pretty lanky. If he could put on 30 over the next couple of summers, he would be set for his breakout season to begin his 3rd NHL season. Experience+smarts+strength=very good NHL player.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He isn't going to gain 30 lbs of pure muscle over night. Maybe in two years if he is committed enough!

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
He isn't going to gain 30 lbs of pure muscle over night. Maybe in two years if he is committed enough!

I know he won't gain it immediately but as skinny as he is a normal strength training program is bound to add on more than a few pounds. A professional program would add on more.

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
30lbs of Muscle isn't a lot in pro sport.

I've played a bit of semi-pro rugby here in NZ and we have guys adding over 25lbs of muscle in one off season, although we do less fitness work in our off season as it slows down muscle growth. I'm sure he'll be his ideal weight for pro hockey in a few years.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
30 lbs of pure muscle is a ton. You can gain about 2 lbs of muscle a month if you have a perfect training regimen. If you aren't using steroids that is.

Now...30 lbs of weight? Not difficult.

jayck

Aug 5, 2013
Montreal
In a lot of place i'm reading that he is a good offensive D but has to work his defense.
Right now look at his pro stats and what you guys say and he seems to be the opposite?

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
In a lot of place i'm reading that he is a good offensive D but has to work his defense.
Right now look at his pro stats and what you guys say and he seems to be the opposite?

I'm not really sure what your saying but I think Sustr is a great defense man. He has such little experience in the NHL and already looks great. He is a smart player with good hands and a crazy long reach. If he puts some weight on and gains more experience he will be even better.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Best thing about him is that he utilizes his long reach and size, he plays to his size, in Hedman's first couple of years he played like he was 5'6 instead of 6'6.

However if both the twin towers put on more muscle and play like Gudas does, we'd have the most imposing D in the NHL.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

Well he is buying into system which is first defense. I do not see him becoming a great offensive threat. Maybe low 30 type but not one of the good ones but hes a kid still and chara and others didnt develop that part of game really till 28. So you never know his shot doesnt seem that heavy his reach is his biggest attribute. He positions self pretty well too so seems pretty smart. For those types of players the offense seems to come in time we will see.

I still see him as a 2-3 d man. I figure the offense comes in time. He has only played like 30 pro games I believe? Come ask wheres hes at after like 200 games:)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Well he is buying into system which is first defense. I do not see him becoming a great offensive threat. Maybe low 30 type but not one of the good ones but hes a kid still and chara and others didnt develop that part of game really till 28. So you never know his shot doesnt seem that heavy his reach is his biggest attribute. He positions self pretty well too so seems pretty smart. For those types of players the offense seems to come in time we will see.

I still see him as a 2-3 d man. I figure the offense comes in time. He has only played like 30 pro games I believe? Come ask wheres hes at after like 200 games:)

Wow Robert, you've really improved your sentence/post structures. ;)

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
He's been a wonderful surprise. He's not going to be a monster hitter or anything but with his size, reach, and surprising mobility he'll be a good shutdown player. If he learns to put his size into his slapshot he'll have a rocket.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He still needs to grow into his body, bulk up and get used to how strong he really is. That said, he's been a pleasant surprise. I remember when we signed him Yzerman said he doesn't want to rush him and people should not expect him to be a regular in the NHL in the next 1-2 years. I like that he still gets scratched from time to time to get some rest and maybe work on some things. But still, he's played in 23 out of 30 possible games so far, logging 20+ minutes some nights and playing real solid hockey.

Also, his name sounds like "shoe" which is funny.

jayck

Aug 5, 2013
Montreal
I'm not really sure what your saying but I think Sustr is a great defense man. He has such little experience in the NHL and already looks great. He is a smart player with good hands and a crazy long reach. If he puts some weight on and gains more experience he will be even better.

Corey Pronman wrote about him:
"The Good: Sustr is a very toolsy for a man his size. He skates at a pro-average level, but his mobility is quite good for a man of his stature. The development in his skating has really elevated his prospect stock. He is an above-average puck mover who has power play ability to go along with very good hands for a big man. Sustr has solid creativity as well.

The Bad: Even though he is a very large defenseman, Sustr is not overly mean or tough on his checks. His defensive reads still need notable work, and at least as of now,he needs to be used very carefully."

And when I look at his stats and what you guys are sayin' is that, yes he knows who to play with his big frame and good mobility. But no one's talking about his "puck moving ability" and "offensive creativity".

But still, nice prospect you guys have! I think he'll be somewhere between Chara and Hal Gill.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
"The Good: Sustr is a very toolsy for a man his size. He skates at a pro-average level, but his mobility is quite good for a man of his stature. The development in his skating has really elevated his prospect stock. He is an above-average puck mover who has power play ability to go along with very good hands for a big man. Sustr has solid creativity as well.

The Bad: Even though he is a very large defenseman, Sustr is not overly mean or tough on his checks. His defensive reads still need notable work, and at least as of now,he needs to be used very carefully."

And when I look at his stats and what you guys are sayin' is that, yes he knows who to play with his big frame and good mobility. But no one's talking about his "puck moving ability" and "offensive creativity".

But still, nice prospect you guys have! I think he'll be somewhere between Chara and Hal Gill.

Here's the deal on him - he's very mobile for his size, but doesn't use that size to his advantage, ala physically punishing people. He's been pretty good for us defensively. That said, he's still a rookie, and will grow into an even better player eventually.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Here's the deal on him - he's very mobile for his size, but doesn't use that size to his advantage, ala physically punishing people. He's been pretty good for us defensively. That said, he's still a rookie, and will grow into an even better player eventually.

A lot of those negatives, in my opinion, are because even though he's 6'8, he hasn't really physically matured yet. So even though he looks like a guy that can outmuscle guys, he can't. That'll come.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England

If you watch instead of just look for posts about his puck moving ability then you might see it.

From an OFD prospect do you really expect to see more posts praising his offensive prowess or his D?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'd say he uses his reach very well, and I think his skating can catch people by surprise sometimes. I think he'll put up decent point totals, but I think he'll be more of a two-way guy than a purely offensive guy.

jayck

Aug 5, 2013
Montreal
If you watch instead of just look for posts about his puck moving ability then you might see it.

From an OFD prospect do you really expect to see more posts praising his offensive prowess or his D?

Wtf ?! How constructive!...
What´s the point of this forum if we can't ask ppl that watch and follow the team that the player is on? Sometimes its just interesting to know other ppl's tought on a subject. As a Montreal Canadian fan, I'm well aware of their players and prospects! But I have a life and I cant just follow every team in the league...
But this is the internet so...thanks for the diversity!

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Wtf ?! How constructive!...
What´s the point of this forum if we can't ask ppl that watch and follow the team that the player is on? Sometimes its just interesting to know other ppl's tought on a subject. As a Montreal Canadian fan, I'm well aware of their players and prospects! But I have a life and I cant just follow every team in the league...
But this is the internet so...thanks for the diversity!

I think you took that a lot more critically than he intended it.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Not an OFD, that's not his game and won't ever be. But I can see him being around 30-40 points at his peak, and a good two-way D if he can get a little stronger and utilize his size well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad