Confirmed with Link: Andrej Sekera re-signed (2 Years, $1.5M AAV)

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Is there ? Like who ? Oleksiak might not want to re-sign and be exposed in the expansion draft or want too much money for it and signing an unknown for to be exposed might not work out.

Sekera already fullfills every criteria needed to expose for defenseman and he was good for the team. Contract can't possible hurt the team. Its way too small for that.
Idk...say Joel Hanley.

You're getting excited. I said "I feel" to express that I haven't thought much on the subject, it's a reaction. Maybe Hanley isn't a better option. Not going to fight to the death on that one. It's just a first impression...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Idk...say Joel Hanley.

You're getting excited. I said "I feel" to express that I haven't thought much on the subject, it's a reaction. Maybe Hanley isn't a better option. Not going to fight to the death on that one. It's just a first impression...

Joel Hanley does not full the expansion draft requirements. He played 20 games for the Stars in 19-20 . He would need to play 50 games for the Stars next season + be re-signed to do so.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Yes and how likely is that ? Can you guarantee it ? Sekera already does fullfill everything and its a reasonable contract. It's done . Moving on.
What is guarantee? Sekera didn't play 70 games last season either. So he has to play at least 13 games. Sekera could face a big injury, Hanley could face a big injury, it's not about guaranteeing something. Nothing in life is "guaranteed."

Likelihood is just about how you plan for it. If they planned to have another #6 then it's unlikely. If they didn't then it's likely. And crazy injuries can happen, but that's true for any player. There are multiple ways to go about this. Maybe Sekera is the best idea, management clearly thinks so, and I think there's a good case there. But I really don't know what you're getting so worked up about...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
What is guarantee? Sekera didn't play 70 games last season either. So he has to play at least 13 games. Sekera could face a big injury, Hanley could face a big injury, it's not about guaranteeing something. Nothing in life is "guaranteed."

Likelihood is just about how you plan for it. If they planned to have another #6 then it's unlikely. If they didn't then it's likely. And crazy injuries can happen, but that's true for any player. There are multiple ways to go about this. Maybe Sekera is the best idea, management clearly thinks so, and I think there's a good case there. But I really don't know what you're getting so worked up about...

Pretty sure playoff games are included in this.

Wrong- Sekera goes to free agency if DAL doesn’t offer two years.

Maybe. Market for defenseman looks kinda weak i guess.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Andrej Sekera on Dallas:”I’m confident that this team has got what it takes to win the Stanley Cup. I’ve seen how we played when everyone was healthy. I’d love to come back to Dallas, if I’d get a chance”

Reactions: flemo and Satan

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If the expansion draft isn’t looming he doesn’t get that second year. End of the day if he’s bad he can drop down to be our 7th defenceman, but with Johns’ health in question I doubt we see two guys beat him out for bottom pair duty

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Walsh said Sekera could have gone to market on Oct. 9, that there would have been interest in the veteran defenseman and “maybe make a little bit more money somewhere else.”

“But when you find a spot where you are happy and the team shows you the ultimate respect by giving you a two-year contract at this stage of Andrej’s career with a family,” Walsh said. “He recognized the team valued him.”

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Im happy with that signing. Our defense needs a reliable and cheap 3rd pairing and Sekera will pair well with a younger number 6.

Was a strong PKer too, cant underestimate the importance of that given what probably cost us the Cup vs Tampa.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Given how bad Sekera’s skating already is it seems unlikely he regresses a ton suddenly.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
So at first I read $3M, thought it was per year, and felt completely fine with it. $1.5M per year is ridiculously good value for a bottom pairing D-man that can play the PK. He believes the team can make it back to the SCF and took a significant discount in order to be a part of it.

flemo

Jan 7, 2010
In fact he is getting $3M per year - 1.5M from Edmonton buyout.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think the shortened season part may also have lead to the number of games required be adjusted . Likely for next year to if / when the season gets shortened.

Stars as a team have not played 70 games in the regular season as a team. So that number can't stay at 70

Everywhere i looked Sekera is already listed as a guy who fullfill expansion draft stuff.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
So much for the past about Sekera hanging i g up and going back to Europe.

I don't mind the deal at all, never crapped on him as much as some posters, although I think he did struggle early and rounded into form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad