Confirmed with Link: Andrej Sekera re-signed (2 Years, $1.5M AAV)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Here's the player everyone was scared about to fill the expansion requirement.

I'm surprised he was re-signed, but I also think that is an incredibly reasonable contract for how well he played. That seems below market.

He can play RD, and he's not a bad option to be the safety valve for Harley should he make the team.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don’t hate it.

I just hope it means we’re rotating guys through the bottom pairing again.

Our three current options aren’t super inspiring, though.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Second year seems like it was handed out for expansion draft purposes.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Here's the player everyone was scared about to fill the expansion requirement.

I'm surprised he was re-signed, but I also think that is an incredibly reasonable contract for how well he played. That seems below market.

He can play RD, and he's not a bad option to be the safety valve for Harley should he make the team.

This is my hope too. Harley makes the team, Sekera is his “mentor”, and with his age we have Fedun and Hanley to take a few games too.

Fine with me.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I just had the sinking ... obnoxious feeling that Dallas is going to carry 8 D next year.

I'm hoping that's not the case. I can't see Gaglardi letting him do that. Fedun has a 2-way deal, and there's no reason for Gaglardi to pay 8 defenders plus Johns a full NHL salary when one could be on a different team (waivers) or earning an AHL salary.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Sekera was solid (defensively) in rounds 2-4 of the playoffs this year, but round 1 was brutal and the majority of the year he wasn’t special.

He’s a good penalty killer and can play both LD/RD, but I dunno how I feel about him coming back. I feel like he’s blocking younger, cheaper, and frankly better options. I didn’t consider the expansion draft element, where I guess he can be left exposed for that... still the fact is he generally needs to be sheltered against other top lines and it would be nice if we could have a 3rd pair that isn’t a complete liability if it gets stuck against our opponents top guys.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I just had the sinking ... obnoxious feeling that Dallas is going to carry 8 D next year.

I'm hoping that's not the case. I can't see Gaglardi letting him do that. Fedun has a 2-way deal, and there's no reason for Gaglardi to pay 8 defenders plus Johns a full NHL salary when one could be on a different team (waivers) or earning an AHL salary.

I see it more an insurance for a potentially compacted schedule.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Sekera was solid (defensively) in rounds 2-4 of the playoffs this year, but round 1 was brutal and the majority of the year he wasn’t special.

He’s a good penalty killer and can play both LD/RD, but I dunno how I feel about him coming back. I feel like he’s blocking younger, cheaper, and frankly better options. I didn’t consider the expansion draft element, where I guess he can be left exposed for that... still the fact is he generally needs to be sheltered against other top lines and it would be nice if we could have a 3rd pair that isn’t a complete liability if it gets stuck against our opponents top guys.

The second he got a semi-decent partner, he played well in his role. You're screwed if he's a Top 4 defenseman, and no one is asking him to be.

My biggest guess is this is an indictment of how Fedun played. If Fedun hadn't played so poorly, they might have been comfortable with Harley, Fedun, and Hanley as the likely bottom pair. I know I wasn't. I wanted to see a different option. Hanley made me way more comfortable, but the #7 will likely play a ton next season. I don't trust Fedun.

I don't believe Sekera is blocking anyone either. Harley is not a lock. He could struggle and prove that a 9 game look is all he's ready for. He's a teenager. It's incredible he's already even forced this discussion, and that's a testament to him. I think he'll succeed, but a backup plan is never a bad idea. Hanley-Fedun is scary .... Hanley-Sekera is not should Harley not quite be ready.

I also really am not concerned that Dallas won't give Harley a chance. The fact he was in the bubble was a huge vote of confidence and he played. Sometimes, and for good reason, I have been nervous about this team not giving the young player a chance. With Harley, I'm not as concerned. It seems like they very much want to see what he can do.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I see it more an insurance for a potentially compacted schedule.

Fedun is just as much an insurance policy in the AHL is my only point. I hope he's waived rather than eat up the limited cap space. I don't think he's a massive loss if he's taken on waivers, and I really don't think there's a huge chance he would be. He didn't play basically any of 2020 until the bubble, and his play in the bubble was poor.

Fedun just feels like a guy you could sneak through ... and Fedun also feels like a guy Nill wouldn't even take the chance on sneaking through.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
The AAV is a bit beefier than I'd like but it is what it is, he was a big part of their success.

Anyone else find it ironic that our forwards are so lackluster that we sign a 35 year-old to-be in Sekera and people are like "well there you go, there's the expansion pick." :laugh:

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
The AAV is a bit beefier than I'd like but it is what it is, he was a big part of their success.

Anyone else find it ironic that our forwards are so lackluster that we sign a 35 year-old to-be in Sekera and people are like "well there you go, there's the expansion pick." :laugh:

He's not going to be the pick. He's the guy you'll be required to expose to meet NHL rules. Different things.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He's not going to be the pick. He's the guy you'll be required to expose to meet NHL rules. Different things.

Probably going to be whoever the second forward is or maybe Dobby if he's the backup.

Hell maybe Pavelski who then ends up the first captain in Kraken history or something.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
True true. I feel like there are better ways to go about this, but this is the one they've chosen. It's fair I suppose, Sekera is a good player.

Is there ? Like who ? Oleksiak might not want to re-sign and be exposed in the expansion draft or want too much money for it and signing an unknown for to be exposed might not work out.

Sekera already fullfills every criteria needed to expose for defenseman and he was good for the team. Contract can't possible hurt the team. Its way too small for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad