Injury Report: Andrej Sekera out indefinitely (torn Achilles)

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Sekera is a bonified top 3 on most if not all teams when healthy. Was arguably our best defender in 2016-2017 with his primary partner being Russell who was playing his offside. That year he was great and a huge part of why we made the playoffs and had good success there too.

All of that is correct. Unfortunately, it's more likely that Sekera never plays in the league again than he returns to 2016-17 form.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
All of that is correct. Unfortunately, it's more likely that Sekera never plays in the league again than he returns to 2016-17 form.

While I agree with this I can't help but feel Sekera is one tough sob. He's a guy that has been punching above his weight class his whole career. Thus the injuries but also recovery.

I do however feel it will take him at least a full year to fully recover.

Unlike others I feel having a tried and true consistent top 3 two way defender trumps having a streaky one way defender. Nurse and Larsson have thier hands full this year and even guys like Russell and Benning will have to be so much better to make up for his loss.

Realistically Klefbom, Bear, and Bouchard all would need to take massive strides defensively over last year to truly help the team win this year coming up.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ive never heard of the ''drafting a winger because we already have centers' strategy. I remember losing my **** with other Oiler fans during the draft when it came to that pick and Barzal was still on the board. He was the BPA and I guarantee if you go back to that draft thread most Oiler fans would agree.
Never heard of drafting for need? Or making moves to address an organizational need? The Oilers had three centers at that point who were all capable of playing on an NHL top line. The Oilers at that point had the worst defense in the NHL by a fair margin and had literally nothing in their system. The Reinhart trade was a catastrophic failure, but the logic was there--the Oilers valued a big minutes defender (at EL contract status) who was ready, or close to ready to step in over what was available at those picks. They wanted someone closer to being NHL-ready. Shame on our scouts who continued to fawn over prospects developed close to home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad