Confirmed with Link: Andrej Meszaros to BOS for 2014 3rd round pick or... (determining factors in post #1)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I knew you could trade a player and retain part of his salary, but I didn't know you could retain part of the cap hit as well. You can really do that? Sounds like it could lead to some fishy business going on.

It led to a more productive trade deadline in terms of the names that were moved. And if you trade a guy, and retain 50% of the cap, the next guy can trade him and retain 50% of the cap. Devan Dubnyk is only on the Habs cap for 25% of his remaining cap hit. Part of the reason is because it was too hard for some teams at the cap to make trades.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It led to a more productive trade deadline in terms of the names that were moved. And if you trade a guy, and retain 50% of the cap, the next guy can trade him and retain 50% of the cap. Devan Dubnyk is only on the Habs cap for 25% of his remaining cap hit. Part of the reason is because it was too hard for some teams at the cap to make trades.

Thanks for the info. It does seem like it sort of defeats the purpose of cap to some extent, but if it's what the league wants who am I to argue?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Boston is gonna win the cup and add to the former flyers that have left and won a cup quickly after departure.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Meszaros with a PP goal for Boston last night.:amazed:

Don't know why that's amazing or shocking; Mez scores goals.

However, he also has a tendency to be directly responsible for a lot of goals against, and he's shown this year that his D game has fallen so far off the map that he needs to produce at a VERY high level relative to his usual production to cover for that.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Boston is gonna win the cup and add to the former flyers that have left and won a cup quickly after departure.

Do people really still care about that though? It doesn't really prove we should have hung onto those players (don't get me wrong there are some I would have liked to keep). They don't singularly win a cup. There are a lot more variables to a team winning than just who is on the roster.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Do people really still care about that though? It doesn't really prove we should have hung onto those players (don't get me wrong there are some I would have liked to keep). They don't singularly win a cup. There are a lot more variables to a team winning than just who is on the roster.

there's something to be said for the fact that seemingly every year the Cup winning team has ex-Flyers on it

what that something is, I'm not sure
but I don't think there are many other teams out there that have had as many players as the Flyers have had leave and go win a Cup...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Mez winning a cup with Boston would be equivalent to Carcillo with Chicago last year. Two bottom role players who happened to be on great teams.

I'm actually rooting for him & Boston to do well so our pick upgrades.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Mez winning a cup with Boston would be equivalent to Carcillo with Chicago last year. Two bottom role players who happened to be on great teams.

I'm actually rooting for him & Boston to do well so our pick upgrades.

Best case scenario: Meszaros leads Boston to the ECF, scoring 10+ points, before losing to the Flyers en route to a Flyers cup win. Meszaros is unsure of his future and signs with the Bruins after the draft. Flyers have a cup + a 2nd and a 4th!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Meszaros is playing in their first game right now.

Meszaros was traded to Boston Wednesday for a conditional 2014 third round pick. The third round pick becomes a second rounder if Boston reaches the Conference Finals and Meszaros plays in at least 2/3 of all of the Bruins 2014 Playoff games or if Boston re-signs Meszaros to a contract before the start of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

If neither condition is met, it remains a third rounder but if Boston signs Meszaros after the start of the 2014 NHL entry draft for the 2014-15 season, the Flyers pick up an additional fourth round pick from Boston in 2015.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So he only played in four games and they didn't make it to the Conference Finals and are unlikely to sign him to a contract either before or after the draft, but good on Holmgren for getting a third rounder for him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That seems very unlikely. They barely used him in the playoffs and Seidenberg is coming back.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Not as a top 4 but as a 6/7. For cheap deal that is not too bad.

I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that Boston is not bringing Mez back.

They already have these guys locked up for next year:

Chara
Boychuk
Seidenberg
Hamilton
Miller
McQuaid

Krug will most definitely be resigned as well, and they also have Bartkowski to retain if they want.

They also have these guys who are pretty much ready to make the jump if need be:

Warsfosky
Morrow

Mez would be about 9th or 10th on their depth chart.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that Boston is not bringing Mez back.

They already have these guys locked up for next year:

Chara
Boychuk
Seidenberg
Hamilton
Miller
McQuaid

Krug will most definitely be resigned as well, and they also have Bartkowski to retain if they want.

They also have these guys who are pretty much ready to make the jump if need be:

Warsfosky
Morrow

Mez would be about 9th or 10th on their depth chart.
Fair enough. I have seen crazier but just throwing it out only. Only a 4th anyway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad