Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
There was no reason to play Vasy so much this year, specially down the stretch.

Elliot was playing fantastic hockey ans could be relied on. Hell, it got to the point I felt more comfortable seeing him start over Vasy.

Vasy hasn't looked right all season.
Maybe we shouldn't run our 27 year old franchise goalie into the ground. We need him to get us some wins during the regular season but we need him rested, healthy and hungry come playoffs. Because that's when we need him to steal us games or series

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
We have to allow like 3 goals or so, in the last 2 games, if we want to have a chance to win the series.
Translation: Vasy has to be literaly a wall...something he's never been so far in the playoffs (and also in the final games of the season).
Probably he is the one who needs to rest more than others.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think the "overplayed him down the stretch" line is going too far. You don't want to run him into the ground - true - but you also don't want him to be ice cold.

If I recall, over the last ten games it was a 6/4 split. That's about right considering the circumstances. Vasi played a total of 63 games. That's maybe a scoche high? (maybe you'd prefer him to play right around 60), but it's not like we ran him into the ground a la Brodeur.

Vasi has been playing poorly because he's been playing poorly. I think there's a big desire to shift the blame at times, but the fact is outside of Hedman and (to a lesser extent) Kucherov, our star players have been duds in the playoffs so far. If we're going to go far, our best players have to play like it.

Edit: I'd also note that I think you want to play your starting goaltender less if it's an option not because of wear and tear (at least to a certain degree) - but rather to limit the chances they get hurt. Otherwise I don't see a qualitative difference between 60 starts and 65. I haven't heard anyone suggest Vasi is hurt - he's just playing poorly.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, he's already in a pretty high tier all time. If he can hold this level of play for just a few more years he will enter the big conversation. What he has done since taking over the #1 job is already legendary.

Reactions: DaBolts

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
1653359894013.png

Thanks Detroit.

If there were a 2012 redraft, Vasi would be #1, right?

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
"
The Panthers built their historic regular season on offensive success, pacing the NHL in average scoring (4.11 goals per game) thanks to enviable depth upfront. They were not shut out once through 82 games. In fact, the last time Florida did not score a goal in a game prior to Monday was Game 6 of their first-round series against Tampa last spring.
"
- ESPN

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Bad positioning, let in several softies and especially blocker side. Something’s not right. Mental? Fatigued? Altitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad