Andrei Vasilevskiy

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I hope if Vasi starts to get awards, or at least nominations, he changes his name to accommodate them.

Everyone must call him 'Vezina Nominee Andy Vasselyevski' after a Vezina nomination, for instance.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I got a photo super funny but having major problems with facebook account that I saw.

Has a jersey with VASI with like 6 or so different name changes and than at end just says GOALIE haha.

I want to share but as said I cant stay on facebook to find it says account is down etc... so something is wrong right now.

I get on for like 10-20 seconds than booted.

Fred89

Jun 8, 2011
Milan

Straight to the point.. but I'd keep Kristers in the system if possible.

By the way this was one of his latest articles for TBL as per his twitter:

Damian Cristodero (@LightningTimes):
After 16 years at the Tampa Bay Times and 13 seasons covering the Lightning, I am leaving the paper to join my wife in Washington DC.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Straight to the point.. but I'd keep Kristers in the system if possible.

By the way this was one of his latest articles for TBL as per his twitter:

Damian Cristodero (@LightningTimes):
After 16 years at the Tampa Bay Times and 13 seasons covering the Lightning, I am leaving the paper to join my wife in Washington DC.

That sucks.

Mihms06

Jan 11, 2012
Florida
I'm excited to get home from work so I can watch the game. Super stoked about Vasy coming to NA to play this year. He just really shows that he wants to be here and play at 100% for this organization.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/vasilevskiy-excelling-at-worlds-before-coming-to-tampa-20140523/
“Tretiak also broke into the national championship and the national team when he was very young,” former Soviet Olympic champion Alexander Pashkov told iihf.com. “Like (Tretiak), Vasilevskiy has great natural ability and last season he was the strongest goalie in the (Kontinental Hockey League). You could also see this in the last two World Junior Championships.

“I’m sure he can become a world-class player.”
“I would say what stood out for me is that he is a big goaltender, but he’s just so athletic,” Johnson said. “He looks down and out on certain situations and he was still able to make the play. So, he remained very calm and that’s something as a young goaltender you don’t see too much.

“But it’s awesome to know that he’s going to be in our organization, on our team. It’s definitely going to be better to have him on our side than playing against him, that’s for sure.”
“Really good rebound control, really good positioning and great body language — it just all looked really easy for him, which is a great sign,” said Lightning assistant general manager Julien BriseBois, who was in Belarus for the early part of the tournament before returning to Tampa.
“His combination of size, athleticism and technique make him a really, really effective goaltender,” BriseBois said. “We know he has great potential. Now it’s just a matter of working with him to help him realize that potential.”

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Can't believe he was just compared to Tretiak.

jipants.jpg

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Everyone thinks Gibson is the better prospect. What do you guys think, Vas or Gibson?

Is flat out a style issue. Vasi is like a cat right now can he maintain that at his size?

So I go Gibson right now by a hair both I think can be top 10's in this league.

Vasi I worry on duration cause of size I have no other concerns. He seems to be the real deal and I remember last year seeing him in camp and I had my mouth open lmao. He was that spectacular I only do that for model blondes lol.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The reason people say Gibson is better is because he's been playing in NA so they've been able to see him more and they just hear the hype on Vasilevskiy. Gibson has also done well on his first NHL call up and playoff start so that makes those who hadn't seen him prior view him as elite. They're very close in talent and potential, when Vasilevskiy starts playing over here the comparisons and hyping can truly begin.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
If Vasilevskiy was named Smith and lived in North America, he would be considered the better prospect. Still a toss up as to who will be better in the long run, but I think Vasilevskiy's ceiling is higher than Gibson's.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Vasilevskiy was named Smith and lived in North America, he would be considered the better prospect. Still a toss up as to who will be better in the long run, but I think Vasilevskiy's ceiling is higher than Gibson's.

For some reason I think goalie prospects go against that rule a bit. Feels like the added mystique of a European goalie boosts his value rather than diminishes it.

I think Gibson's respect is well-earned, and people have simply seen what he can do up close. Whereas, if you're not paying attention, Vasi is just that goalie with a weird name who everyone talks about, but very few people are actually paying close attention. So I think it's more that than a bias against European players in Vasi's specific case.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
For some reason I think goalie prospects go against that rule a bit. Feels like the added mystique of a European goalie boosts his value rather than diminishes it.

I think Gibson's respect is well-earned, and people have simply seen what he can do up close. Whereas, if you're not paying attention, Vasi is just that goalie with a weird name who everyone talks about, but very few people are actually paying close attention. So I think it's more that than a bias against European players in Vasi's specific case.

I think the Russian factor is definitely at play here. At least it was until recently. The fact that Gibson is more readily available (in terms of us being able to see his body of work beyond a stat sheet) certainly plays a part, but I honestly believe that the "weird name" factor has influenced the comparison.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think the Russian factor is definitely at play here. At least it was until recently. The fact that Gibson is more readily available (in terms of us being able to see his body of work beyond a stat sheet) certainly plays a part, but I honestly believe that the "weird name" factor has influenced the comparison.

Yeah, but pretty much everyone believes they're very close. The fact that Vasi is still considered somewhat on par with Gibson, despite Gibson already showing flashes of brilliance in the NHL, I think shows there's not a lot of Russian bias against Vasi. It probably exists, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's huge, and I think there are plenty of other factors for why Gibson is generally being seen as a bit ahead.

Right now, I feel like the bias might actually work the other way when it comes to goalies. Canada, for instance, has produced so few quality goalies in recent years that I don't think Canadian goaltending prospects are being taken at all seriously right now. Whereas the hot Euro goalie of the moment (Guds is a good example) can excite people with one good performance. We're just so used to all the best goalies basically coming out of nowhere.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Yeah, but pretty much everyone believes they're very close. The fact that Vasi is still considered somewhat on par with Gibson, despite Gibson already showing flashes of brilliance in the NHL, I think shows there's not a lot of Russian bias against Vasi. It probably exists, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's huge, and I think there are plenty of other factors for why Gibson is generally being seen as a bit ahead.

Right now, I feel like the bias might actually work the other way when it comes to goalies. Canada, for instance, has produced so few quality goalies in recent years that I don't think Canadian goaltending prospects are being taken at all seriously right now. Whereas the hot Euro goalie of the moment (Guds is a good example) can excite people with one good performance. We're just so used to all the best goalies basically coming out of nowhere.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Maybe it's just because not many people get to see Vasilevskiy on a regular basis like you said. I still hold that Vasilevskiy has the higher ceiling than Gibson, but Gibson is going to be a stud goaltender. They'll both be top 10 goalies in the world soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad