Andrei Vasilevskiy

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Wow, good to see Vasi taking the top spot. Him and Gibson are both so good, though, that it's kinda irrelevant in the end haha.

Although I was surprised to see Brayden Point already in the top 100. I didnt think a third round pick would have that much respect already... I really didnt understand how talented that kid was, and how good that pick was, did I?

Agreed on everything. Figured Gibson would take the top spot since he looked pretty darn good in his NHL appearances. And the same feeling on Point. Guess he's a lot more talented than his draft position suggests.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wow, good to see Vasi taking the top spot. Him and Gibson are both so good, though, that it's kinda irrelevant in the end haha.

Although I was surprised to see Brayden Point already in the top 100. I didnt think a third round pick would have that much respect already... I really didnt understand how talented that kid was, and how good that pick was, did I?

100% on Point. I remember on draft day a lot of people around here (you might have been one of them) were really high on him. Much respect to all of those guys. Hard to believe he's already a top 100 kid despite being taken just 1.5 months ago in what was considered a weak draft. Sometimes these things make no sense, but at least they make no sense in a way that seems to benefit us. ;)

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
100% on Point. I remember on draft day a lot of people around here (you might have been one of them) were really high on him. Much respect to all of those guys. Hard to believe he's already a top 100 kid despite being taken just 1.5 months ago in what was considered a weak draft. Sometimes these things make no sense, but at least they make no sense in a way that seems to benefit us. ;)

After day 1 I was seriously hoping we were going to take him at 35, then I wake up the next morning and we'd drafted him 79th overall. :laugh:

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=729285&navid=nhl:topheads

When Russia won its second IIHF World Championship in three years last May, the gold-medal squad featured some of the NHL's biggest names, including Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin and Sergei Bobrovsky.

But for the two youngest players on that roster, Evgeny Kuznetsov of the Washington Capitals and Andrei Vasilevskiy of the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Worlds were the final victory before their careers, and effectively their lives, changed.

Vasilevskiy made his KHL debut last season and was an instant hit.

As a 19-year-old, the 19th pick in the 2012 NHL Draft took Russia by storm. He was a standout for Ufa Salavat Yulaev, leading the club to the conference final before losing to eventual champion Metallurg Magnitogorsk, and earned the Alexei Cherepanov Award as the league's top rookie.

By the time the 2013-14 KHL season ended, it was clear each player was ready to take the next step in his career.

"It's a very interesting season for me. I'm very happy I signed my contract with Tampa. I worked hard every day to be better and start my season," Vasilevskiy said. "Here it's a higher level of hockey than back in Russia. It's very impressive. It's good for me."

Kuznetsov and Vasilevskiy are likely to take very different routes to the NHL. With goaltenders typically experiencing a significantly steeper learning curve and Ben Bishop already established as the Lightning's No. 1 goalie, Vasilevskiy is likely to play this season with Tampa Bay's American Hockey League affiliate in Syracuse.

Vasilevskiy, 20, has less experience in North America, but his transition should be eased by the presence of numerous Russians in Tampa Bay's prospect pipeline, including Vladislav Namestnikov, Artem Sergeev and Nikita Kucherov.

"I think he'll be fine. It's obviously a little different, but he's a great player and he's going to adjust fine," said Namestnikov, who befriended Vasilevskiy at the Lightning's development camp. "He's an amazing athlete. To be that big and that athletic for a goalie is unreal. I think he's going to be the real deal."

Vasilevskiy, on the other hand, seems more at ease speaking English, and he grew particularly excited when discussing his experience at the World Championship.

"It was very good experience for me. I played with great players who play in the NHL. They have super skills, super shot, everything," he said. "[Playing with] Bobrovsky and [Anton] Khudobin was good experience. I see these guys and they teach me. It's so good."

Vasilevskiy is expected to compete for the starting job in Syracuse with Kristers Gudlevskis. His limited time in Tampa Bay has been confined thus far to development camp. The goaltender hasn't had any opportunities to sample the area's beaches, but he hopes a strong training camp can extend his stay down south.

"I've never been in Tampa on beach, just practice," Vasilevskiy said. "But I think maybe the sun I can see. We'll see."

Hopefully he’ll get the chance to hit the beach.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Did we already post the save of the year gif here? Just so we can watch it over and over again I'll re-link it.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=719961

What an incredible amount of concentration by Andrei to keep the puck off the line while spinning out of control like that.

I always joked that there was a "Curse of Khabibulin" haunting the Lightning and that it would take a Russian goaltender to break it and sure enough here he comes to perhaps break it.

All we have to do is play competent defensively and our netminders will rack up win after win because we are going to have more than enough offense.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Did we already post the save of the year gif here? Just so we can watch it over and over again I'll re-link it.

What an incredible amount of concentration by Andrei to keep the puck off the line while spinning out of control like that.

I always joked that there was a "Curse of Khabibulin" haunting the Lightning and that it would take a Russian goaltender to break it and sure enough here he comes to perhaps break it.

All we have to do is play competent defensively and our netminders will rack up win after win because we are going to have more than enough offense.

I wonder what Kovar (#43) was thinking at that moment

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Now that was impressive, I must have missed it before so thanks for posting it.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Found something interesting on twitter (made by @hellpasso):

Bws1w_fCMAAXppo.jpg

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Pretty impressive, but I can't help but notice how much better he looks in the blue and white :naughty:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
How is he doing so far in pre season?

He played one game...dominated. Held Nashville to 2 goals and had 30+ saves. Some real tough ones too in a Lightning win 4 -2. Gudlevski pitched a one goal game as well against 85% of Nashville's starting lineup vs our 80% AHL team. Both very impressive in their lone pre-season performance. Both are headed to France for the Syracuse camp probably tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad