Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy - Part 2

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015

All of his stats are terrible, he has given up 3 goals or more in every game except two. If this isn't bad then it's impossible for him to play bad.

Spoiler alert: He's playing poorly and is objectively one of our worst players right now.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
All of his stats are terrible, he has given up 3 goals or more in every game except two. If this isn't bad then it's impossible for him to play bad.

Spoiler alert: He's playing poorly and is objectively one of our worst players right now.
I also thought that he should be changed at game against EDM. He will bounce back, but for now he isnt great

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Both Vasi and Point need to be better, 9.5M to each of them, one is playing with backup numbers and the other has 3 more points than Killorn.

There are only 3 goalies in the league making north of $6.5M (honestly thought there was more) - it's clear GM's stray away from overpaying goalies because their level of play is so variable. Every team that has overpayed a goalie has regretted it or has a massively divided fanbase on the subject, if you're top-3 in pay you should be top-3 in performance or at least close to that imo.

Last edited:

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Both Vasi and Point need to be better, 9.5M to each of them, one is playing with backup numbers and the other has 3 more points than Killorn.

There are only 3 goalies in the league making north of $6.5M (honestly thought there was more) - it's clear GM's stray away from overpaying goalies because their level of play is so variable. Every team that has overpayed a goalie has regretted it or has a massively divided fanbase on the subject, if you're top-3 in pay you should be top-3 in performance or at least close to that imo.
No goalie ever will be top 3 every year so good luck with that. Point has been pretty unlucky and still has plenty of points so who cares.

also Hedman is playing like complete dogshit but i guess that doesn't matter

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No goalie ever will be top 3 every year so good luck with that. Point has been pretty unlucky and still has plenty of points so who cares.

also Hedman is playing like complete dogshit but i guess that doesn't matter

So you're saying no goalie should get paid that much since they won't live up to it, gottcha we're on the same page.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
So you're saying no goalie should get paid that much since they won't live up to it, gottcha we're on the same page.
at most it's a million too much who gives a shit. also the cap will be going up. 10.5 years ago was crazy for price. 9.5 right now is way less already and only gonna get better

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think some of you haven't suffered enough with poor goaltending, the name Marc Denis literally gives me PTSD. Yeah maybe the team could find a journeyman somewhere who could statistically net them better GAA or SV% per AAV or something like that, but I don't care. I'll gladly pay the premium for stability in net, this team thought they could nickle and dime the position post Khabibulin and it was brutal.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think some of you haven't suffered enough with poor goaltending, the name Marc Denis literally gives me PTSD. Yeah maybe the team could find a journeyman somewhere who could statistically net them better GAA or SV% per AAV or something like that, but I don't care. I'll gladly pay the premium for stability in net, this team thought they could nickle and dime the position post Khabibulin and it was brutal.

That's because we had weak forward depth, a poor defense along with weak goaltending back then let's not act the team is managed by the same people, even Marc Denis would fare decently well on the recent Lightning teams.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
That's because we had weak forward depth, a poor defense along with weak goaltending back then let's not act the team is managed by the same people, even Marc Denis would fare decently well on the recent Lightning teams.

Sure the team is better now, but there's no way you actually watched the team post 2004 and believe this.

Reactions: Hoek

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sure the team is better now, but there's no way you actually watched the team post 2004 and believe this.

Louis Domingue was 21-5 with the Lightning recently, maybe not "well" but he would be in a significantly better situation. Point is goaltending wasn't the only issue back then and if we had a hole in net now there would be far more talent in front (and capspace) to solve that issue.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Louis Domingue was 21-5 with the Lightning recently, maybe not "well" but he would be in a significantly better situation. Point is goaltending wasn't the only issue back then and if we had a hole in net now there would be far more talent in front (and capspace) to solve that issue.
And the guy he replaced Peter Budaj was dog shit sub .900 despite having all-star worthy stats in LA. I understand your point, I just don’t agree. While true that you don’t need a perennial Vezina candidate, unreliable netminding is the kiss of death for any team hoping to run a consistent system

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
While Vasy is having a down year, lets not forget going through the years with the likes of Anders Lindback, Marc Denis, Antero Niittymaki, Dan Ellis, Olaf Kolzig, Johan Holmqvist, Karri Ramo. as well as drafting Riku Helenius 15th overall when Varlamov and Giroux were there in the next 10 picks

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
While Vasy is having a down year, lets not forget going through the years with the likes of Anders Lindback, Marc Denis, Antero Niittymaki, Dan Ellis, Olaf Kolzig, Johan Holmqvist, Karri Ramo. as well as drafting Riku Helenius 15th overall when Varlamov and Giroux were there in the next 10 picks

Wish I could forget actually.

If we could snap our fingers and get decent goaltending guaranteed for just 5-6 million would I do it? Yes.

In reality everywhere you look across the league teams are trying desperately and failing to address their goaltending issues. We were there once. I think it’s incredibly short sighted to think we could or should forsake the stability we finally have in net for a few million in cap savings.

Last edited:

HedmanNotReallyGood

Nov 13, 2022
I hate how Vasilevsky drops to butterfly on every shot. Blue line slappers and wristers that are screened-I get that he is trying to take up space and have pucks that he doesn't see hit him. He dropped to his knees for that 100 ft slapshot in the Bruins game though. Why? If he was on top of his crease and just stood still, I believe that puck harmlessly hits him and we maybe go on to win the game (that we dominated in the 1st period). Is Franz Jean to blame?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He just isn't playing at the level he was two years ago, and for a handful of years before that. He's been a guy who can make 10-bell saves the same as ever, but he leaks bad goals, or mediocre goals. And just too many of them. He hasn't been all that much above average in a while, honestly. He's still capable of huge games, but so are a lot of other goalies in the 12-18 range.

Reactions: Rschmitz and Sky04

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
He isnt producing on the top line with Kuch and Point, I reckon he would be better than Killorn on the stamkos and paul line, but even so there isnt enough production from him, so we might as well put him with Hedman to see if Hedman can regain his confidence. Failing that, pair him up with Perbix as that will give Vassey the taste again of what it was like trying to make it..then when his confidence returns we can slot him back to goal tending/head coach.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoek

HedmanNotReallyGood

Nov 13, 2022
Has anyone else noticed #88's new and powerful wig(?) or whatever that might be on his head this season? Whatever it is, it's new. His hair last year was holding on by a thread, but now he has a lot....from somewhere.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He started taking that pill that once got Jose Theodore popped for steroids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad