Andrei Vasilevskiy: Ovechkin's shot is radio-controlled

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
A great interview from Vasilevskiy:

Maxim Nikerin: Did you analyze Ovechkin in the playoffs?
Andrei Vasilevskiy: Yes, but I played against him before and know his shot and how he’s able to shoot from every position and how his shot is “radio-controlled“.
Maxim Nikerin: Could you explain?
Andrei Vasilevskiy: Do you know how soccer players hit the ball and it’s changing trajectory during the flight? It’s the same with Ovechkin and his shot. It’s even harder to catch the puck when he’s shooting from long distance, because the puck can change its trajectory many times. I don’t know where he learned it, but he scores 50-60 goals every season. We talked with the coaching staff that we should try to reduce the number of his shots. Because I’m not the octopus to catch every one of his shots. It’s easier for me to play against such players as John Carlson, he’s got a powerful shot but it’s predictable. We tried it, but Alex is an experienced player and he knows how to make space to shoot. Don’t know where he learned it.
Maxim Nikerin: Probably in Dynamo Moscow!
Andrei Vasilevskiy: Ha! Don’t know, but he’s been playing in the NHL for 13 years, every goalie know what he’s going to do, but people still don’t know how to handle with Ovechkin. I’ve talked to many goalies, they’re all telling you the same thing: you’re almost catching the puck but it’s still falling through in the last second.

here's the full text:
Translation from Sport.Business-gazeta.ru: Andrei Vasilevskiy discusses his Vezina Trophy nomination

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovie definitely does weird things when he shoots. It's not just velocity. It knuckles and spins end over end. He doesn't care if the puck is flat on the ice - he can one-time it anyway.

Many times the goalie has that look like "how did that get through."

BTW the rest of the interview is hilarious. Fun read.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Okay this is hilarious:

Maxim Nikerin: Tell me about your behind-the-back save against Los Angeles. Such saves can only be done on instincts?
Andrei Vasilevskiy: No, I calculated everything: I saw if player was left-handed or right-handed, left the space, also my peripheral vision is great. He shot, and I just put my hand behind me and catch the puck, that was easy.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Let's try radio jamming Ovechkin's stick. I've seen it done before....once.....sometimes it has maximum effect!

haRBQL7.gif

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
The shot at the beginning of game 7 was a perfect example. Practically at the blue line, unscreened. Still shocked it went in.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I remember Kovy (Kovalev) during a post-GWG during his time in Mtl where the interviewer asked him if the goalie let a big hole for him to shoot. His answer (dead serious look) was not much horizontally but I had space to shoot it vertically.

They went back to see the replays and indeed, the puck did turn vertically to go in. Mind you, Kovalev was one of the most skilled player to ever play the game.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Young me could have told you that. Watch him when he came in to the league and he most commonly used D as dummies and shot through their legs. The puck would elevate from a standstill and goalies didn't even react.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad