Value of: Andreas Athanasiou

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I wouldn't do this trade personally, but Ghost could be available.
Ghost isn’t damaged goods and would do more wonders for DET than in PHI due to the quality of Dmen on the respective teams.

AA + something of value. We don’t have a real need for 2nd Line wingers or M6 wingers. We already have 1 of JVR/Voracek on the third line and Nolan Patrick has yet to come back.

Shouldn’t trade ghost right now.

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
What could Detroit add to an AA package if Edmonton solved your 2 most pressing needs?

RNH for your 2nd line center and Adam Larsson as a top 4 D.

Neither player is expendable in Edmonton but with Bear looking good and Bouchard, Broberg waiting in the wings and Edmonton's die need of a pair of top 6 wingers could something materialize here? I do think it's time Draisaitl centers the 2nd line full time and AA would be a great asset beside McDavid.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Brodin? Minnesota shouldn't be in a hurry to trade him or anything, but with the Spurgeon extension it's hard to see him sticking around beyond his current contract. If he could return a young center it'd be worth considering.

Edit: unless this is another "he's a center but not really" situations, which upon further inspection it looks like it is. Nevermind.

Last edited:

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Detroit shouldn't be making any trades. They are so far from contending that they should just keep picking up prospects and picks. Any trade they make right now is from a position of weakness.

Not really. If Yzerman moves out assets he doesn't view as long term solutions, and those assets moved out bring in value then you are not trading from a position of weakness. So the question becomes, "Is AA a long term piece of the core" if the answer to that is no then you need to trade him when his value is at its highest.

Personally I think AA should be on the block. He is not the type of player this team needs at the moment but one that a contender would value highly. If a package of AA + could net us a young top 4 D with upside I'd pull the trigger.

AA + Zadina / Ras / McIssac / Cholowski / Veleno / 1st rounder, We could put together a very intresting deal that would land us a legitimate asset. Who and what the add is depends on what we receive of course. And if we don't absolutely love the deal we can walk away and keep what we have, because what we have is a bunch of prospects with potential and value.

If you can walk away from a deal and be happy either way you're not trading from weakness.
Trading from weakness is giving up assets for David Legwand to play 20 games on your 4th line.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Why does the D need to be upgraded? They're not contending for anything other than a top 5 pick. Trading AA for an equally talented D doesn't change that. Something like AA for a 1st+ makes a lot more sense

Why would a 1st round pick make more sense than an upgrade on the D.
We need to upgrade our D, then C, then Goalie and wingers are our last concern. If we could package a winger up to get a good young Dman, that holds so much more value then a random first round pick likely ranging anywhere between 25-31.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I have a really hard time seeing anyone trading a young, legit top 4 D for a deal based around AA. A 1st+ is much more realistic and sensible given that the Wings are in the middle of a rebuild with hole's basically everywhere outside the top line, and no path toward immediate success. The goal should be to accumulate as many high picks and good prospects as they can. That's how you give yourself the best chance to build a deep, talented team for the future imo.

Reactions: BStinson

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I have a really hard time seeing anyone trading a young, legit top 4 D for a deal based around AA. A 1st+ is much more realistic and sensible given that the Wings are in the middle of a rebuild with hole's basically everywhere outside the top line, and no path toward immediate success. The goal should be to accumulate as many high picks and good prospects as they can. That's how you give yourself the best chance to build a deep, talented team for the future imo.
I have a hard time seeing anybody give up much of anything for AA right now. If he gets going MAYBE a 1st at the deadline is possible, but his value is (temporarily) down right now until he catches up with lost time. He's playing but he may as well be on the DL as far as trades are concerned, IMO.

JerseyJoe

Feb 26, 2012
Some where in Jersey
Not really. If Yzerman moves out assets he doesn't view as long term solutions, and those assets moved out bring in value then you are not trading from a position of weakness. So the question becomes, "Is AA a long term piece of the core" if the answer to that is no then you need to trade him when his value is at its highest.

Personally I think AA should be on the block. He is not the type of player this team needs at the moment but one that a contender would value highly. If a package of AA + could net us a young top 4 D with upside I'd pull the trigger.

AA + Zadina / Ras / McIssac / Cholowski / Veleno / 1st rounder, We could put together a very intresting deal that would land us a legitimate asset. Who and what the add is depends on what we receive of course. And if we don't absolutely love the deal we can walk away and keep what we have, because what we have is a bunch of prospects with potential and value.

If you can walk away from a deal and be happy either way you're not trading from weakness.
Trading from weakness is giving up assets for David Legwand to play 20 games on your 4th line.

Hey maybe a deal with the Isles would work; They are having some scoring issues. I know its early, but they can use a shooter. So maybe AA/ Veleno/ for Leddy/Hickey/Witherspoon/HoSang and Dal Coll. maybe throw in a 2nd Rd or McIssac and isles can add Bellows..
Something to think about maybe. Or Scream about... Just a thought

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Detroit has to get better on D. They didn't have Dekeyser yesterday and it really showed their lack of depth. What's the best D that AA could bring in?

• Massive overreaction to last night's game. Terrible game to base anything off of when it wasn't just Dekeyser being out but the timing. He got injured in the morning skate before the game so the team didn't even get a full practice to acclimate. This was also Biega's 1st game of the season and his first with a new team. To boot, Blashill starts Daley on the top unit with Hronek even though Daley's an old man just coming off of an injury. Then Green picks a great time to top off his pre-game meal with an edible. Also away game, west coast, and Bernier.
  • Dekeyser has had a good start to the year...but he isn't the difference maker you're making him out to be.
  • Detroit trading their only talented forward outside of the 1st line to acquire a non-elite defenseman, the likes of which can be found in free agency for free every year, when they aren't competing for anything, is bad asset management.
  • Can you wait a skosh to see if we even need outside help? Biega has played 1 game. Nemeth has been playing Wings hockey for just a month. Green doesn't always play like the hungover subhuman he was last night. Cholowski is just 21 - he builds up that experience base every game.
  • Hronek. He deserves his own bullet point. From newborn NHLer to our best overall defenseman in a calendar year. Leads the D in CF stats at even strength. Howitzer of a shot on the PP. Solid on the PK already but push more PK minutes on him and he could our top PKer in a matter of months with how quickly he absorbs the game. With every game he plays, Detroit's D gets better through him.

I wouldn't do this trade personally, but Ghost could be available.

Now that would be an interesting trade. I would strongly consider it.

Whoa, eyes on the prize, man! AA for Ghost without a big add from Detroit may be a great deal for the Wings in a vacuum but you made this thread because the Wings need to get better on D.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Brodin? Minnesota shouldn't be in a hurry to trade him or anything, but with the Spurgeon extension it's hard to see him sticking around beyond his current contract. If he could return a young center it'd be worth considering.

Edit: unless this is another "he's a center but not really" situations, which upon further inspection it looks like it is. Nevermind.

The irony here is that a young center - really a skilled center of any age - is what Detroit needs about 293 times more than it needs another Dekeyser. Right now, I'd actually

But interestingly, Brodin could be a great fit for Detroit's defense moving forward if things keep trending the way they are with Hronek, Cholo, and Seider. Too soon to tell, though.

Hey maybe a deal with the Isles would work; They are having some scoring issues. I know its early, but they can use a shooter. So maybe AA/ Veleno/ for Leddy/Hickey/Witherspoon/HoSang and Dal Coll. maybe throw in a 2nd Rd or McIssac and isles can add Bellows..
Something to think about maybe. Or Scream about... Just a thought

Alright, I know OP confused some folks here by making them think Detroit is desperate for defense and that AA is somehow expendable for that sake but that's not the case.

But even then, come on, man. I wouldn't trade AA alone for that package. In fact, I wouldn't trade anything for that package. Detroit has plenty of Hickeys, Witherspoons, and Dal Colles. They'd do more harm than good taking up contract spots and AHL ice time from our prospects with actual NHL futures. Ho-Sang is intriguing but has too many question marks to warrant much value. Leddy could be useful but he isn't going to move the needle in Detroit. And he definitely isn't worth AA.

Reactions: BStinson

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

That's my opinion, too. I think that getting another piece to go with Cholowski, Hronek, McIsaac and Seider, someone who is a little bit further along in their development, should help.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The irony here is that a young center - really a skilled center of any age - is what Detroit needs about 293 times more than it needs another Dekeyser. Right now, I'd actually

But interestingly, Brodin could be a great fit for Detroit's defense moving forward if things keep trending the way they are with Hronek, Cholo, and Seider. Too soon to tell, though.

Alright, I know OP confused some folks here by making them think Detroit is desperate for defense and that AA is somehow expendable for that sake but that's not the case.

But even then, come on, man. I wouldn't trade AA alone for that package. In fact, I wouldn't trade anything for that package. Detroit has plenty of Hickeys, Witherspoons, and Dal Colles. They'd do more harm than good taking up contract spots and AHL ice time from our prospects with actual NHL futures. Ho-Sang is intriguing but has too many question marks to warrant much value. Leddy could be useful but he isn't going to move the needle in Detroit. And he definitely isn't worth AA.

I think it would be better if it were AA and Veleno for Leddy, Bode Wilde and our 1st in 2020.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Detroit IS desparate for D and AA should be expendable for that sake. We are not desparate in that we need a D right this second, but we do desparately need to upgrade the talent on our backend. Like ridiculously so. But no, the Wings need a true top pairing D. Seider and Cholo can't be viewed as that yet... and Hronek is currently more in the mold of a guy like Ghost than a true top pairing D.

The Red Wings next year will have about 2 or 3 rostered defense with any experience.

E: Yes, we also need a center or two as well. But frankly, we need a 2C and/or a top pairing caliber D and those are equivalent needs for us. Could that be Seider? Sure. But that is in the future and you really don't want to put all your eggs in one guy.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Couldn't we at least wait until AA scores a freaking goal first before making the annual "What D can AA get us" thread? Nobody's gonna be offering up anything worthwhile while AA looks completely lost out there(who fits right in perfectly with our other non existent middle 6ers, so far)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad