Andreas Athanasiou

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
My guess is he plays college next year, plays the one after that in AHL and then plays for the Red Wings. He might even play some games in the NHL like Abdelkader did and then play for the GR in the playoffs next year.

I think this is pretty accurate. If you look at most NCAA/USHL/USNDTP kids taken in the first round, you will notice that most don't stay beyond their sophomore season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well Larkin will play in a game with the Wings when he turns pro. All those guys do as it starts their contract and kicks in a bonus for that year.

Gator, Sheahan, DeKeyser all hit the lineup immediately, DeKeyser was a little different but that is a common practice with virtually anybody coming out of college. So chances are Larkin's first game in a Wings jersey is at the end of next year in the regular season.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Well Larkin will play in a game with the Wings when he turns pro. All those guys do as it starts their contract and kicks in a bonus for that year.

Gator, Sheahan, DeKeyser all hit the lineup immediately, DeKeyser was a little different but that is a common practice with virtually anybody coming out of college. So chances are Larkin's first game in a Wings jersey is at the end of next year in the regular season.

Sheahan was in GR for quite a while.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Sheahan was in GR for quite a while.

What he means is they immediately get a callup game. And Sheahan did. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riley_Sheahan

3 years at ND. Then immediately he gets one NHL game and then spends the rest of his time in GR. It's a nice bonus and a show of appreciation for the players. They're not up permanently. It's about the money and the appreciation for putting in some good work.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What he means is they immediately get a callup game. And Sheahan did. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riley_Sheahan

3 years at ND. Then immediately he gets one NHL game and then spends the rest of his time in GR. It's a nice bonus and a show of appreciation for the players. They're not up permanently. It's about the money and the appreciation for putting in some good work.

Actually it is also mostly about burning a year of their contract. It takes out their slide year, Larkin's age might impact that however.

But yes it gets the bonus and slide year, that is why they do it. Larkin will likely break camp with GR the next season, was just pointing out I expect to see him in Wings jersey next spring for a game though.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Would like to see him get a game in this year. If anything, to give him a taste of the next level, and what he needs to do to get there.

But, that would happen if there's an injury...don't want that.

Not necessarily, if they lock up a playoff spot before the end of the regular season I could see them calling up a couple of kids and resting the regulars for the playoffs for a game or two like they did last year for game#82 of the regular season.

I'd love to see AA get a shot if they do that again, maybe Mantha too if he starts rolling.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Was at the Griffins game today. AA looks good. He's fast and opens the ice. I wasn't impressed with Mantha but AA and surprisingly Ferraro looked good out there.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Just realized Athanasiou is only one month older than Mantha. With Athanasiou's August birthday, he's significantly younger than many of the other players picked his draft year.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Just realized Athanasiou is only one month older than Mantha. With Athanasiou's August birthday, he's significantly younger than many of the other players picked his draft year.

I've been a huge fan ever since he was drafted. A lotta people ripped him for asking out of London but thus far you have to give the guy his due. He wasn't being a prima donna, he was just doing what he felt would best advance his career. I think he's going to be a very pleasant surprise and will be one of those guys people around the league will ask how did the Wings get him in the 4th round. In Tatar's rookie season he put up 32 points in 58 games. Right now Athanasiou has put up 24 points in 36 games. :yo:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I've been a huge fan ever since he was drafted. A lotta people ripped him for asking out of London but thus far you have to give the guy his due. He wasn't being a prima donna, he was just doing what he felt would best advance his career. I think he's going to be a very pleasant surprise and will be one of those guys people around the league will ask how did the Wings get him in the 4th round. In Tatar's rookie season he put up 32 points in 58 games. Right now Athanasiou has put up 24 points in 36 games. :yo:

FWIW, Tatar started his rookie AHL season at age 18. AA was 20. So not really all that comparable.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'd love to see him get a callup at some point this season. But the roster is so packed he may not even get a shot NEXT season... I just want to see how much of his game might translate to the NHL level!

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
What do you guys think his ceiling is? He looked unreal in that highlight. Just wondering why he's not getting more hype considering his size and speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad