Player Discussion Andre Burakovsky

Will Burakovsky be a Capital in 2019-2020?

• Total voters

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I think he's been decent last three games, since getting separated from Eller. 4th line is now playing some meaningful hockey, spending a lot of time in the offensive zone.

If he was blocking the way for a better player, I'd move him. As it stands, I don't see a good reason. We are not desperate for cap space, we don't have budding top-6 forwards playing on the farm. A few game-breaking plays in a playoff run is worth more than a 3rd round pick.

Unless his line is getting bogged down in the defensive zone or he is making turnovers that lead to chances against, I'd just let him be.

Reactions: calicapsfan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I havent really noticed much improvement in his game by moving him to the 4th line. What I did notice was that Eller and Vrana are the guys that seemed to benefit from the changes.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
He's gotten the benefit of many doubts and given many chances... and just does not produce with any regularity

His history as a Cap is miss the broad side of a barn for 12 games, look great for 4 games only to disappear for the next 12

He's better suited to play in Europe; love his skating and shows some great skills sometimes but there's just no consistency to speak of

Would be happy to see him gone for next season, good luck to him elsewhere

Reactions: calicapsfan

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
He's getting some attention on the NHL site. 7 shots in 8 games and no points? Yuck. Hope he starts producing soon.

Mailbag: Overachieving teams, Burakovsky future, Flyers goalies

Do you think the Washington Capitals can entertain an Andre Burakovsky trade? He's under performing and has a $3 million NHL salary cap charge. Maybe they can shore up their backup goalie position? -- @GLaSnoST9

I understand the frustration with Burakovsky's listless performance this season with zero points and seven shots on goal through eight games. I understand the question about trading the forward to free up that salary cap room and boost the backup goalie position. But I wouldn't be so quick to give up on a 23-year-old forward who has physical gifts, including size (6-foot-3), and has produced in big spots in the past. If they tried to trade Burakovsky now they'd be selling low. The Capitals don't have to get a new backup goalie yet. Pheonix Copley has played in two games, started one. He has an .873 save percentage and 4.04 GAA. Braden Holtby isn't much better in his seven games with a .885 save percentage and 3.46 GAA. He's allowed four or more goals in three of his seven starts. Maybe the Capitals need to help their goalies more. I'd wait, give Burakovsky some more time to see what he can do, but all the while do my homework if I was general manager Brian MacLellan to see what the market is for him. He's a restricted free agent after the season and he'd need to be qualified by the Capitals at $3 million. That could be too high of a price tag for a player who is not producing, which means Washington could risk losing him for nothing. He'd become an unrestricted free agent if they don't qualify him. That's not going to fly, so a trade might eventually be in the offing, even if it means they sell low.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
He's getting some attention on the NHL site. 7 shots in 8 games and no points? Yuck. Hope he starts producing soon.

Mailbag: Overachieving teams, Burakovsky future, Flyers goalies

Do you think the Washington Capitals can entertain an Andre Burakovsky trade? He's under performing and has a $3 million NHL salary cap charge. Maybe they can shore up their backup goalie position? -- @GLaSnoST9

I understand the frustration with Burakovsky's listless performance this season with zero points and seven shots on goal through eight games. I understand the question about trading the forward to free up that salary cap room and boost the backup goalie position. But I wouldn't be so quick to give up on a 23-year-old forward who has physical gifts, including size (6-foot-3), and has produced in big spots in the past. If they tried to trade Burakovsky now they'd be selling low. The Capitals don't have to get a new backup goalie yet. Pheonix Copley has played in two games, started one. He has an .873 save percentage and 4.04 GAA. Braden Holtby isn't much better in his seven games with a .885 save percentage and 3.46 GAA. He's allowed four or more goals in three of his seven starts. Maybe the Capitals need to help their goalies more. I'd wait, give Burakovsky some more time to see what he can do, but all the while do my homework if I was general manager Brian MacLellan to see what the market is for him. He's a restricted free agent after the season and he'd need to be qualified by the Capitals at $3 million. That could be too high of a price tag for a player who is not producing, which means Washington could risk losing him for nothing. He'd become an unrestricted free agent if they don't qualify him. That's not going to fly, so a trade might eventually be in the offing, even if it means they sell low.
This is ridicoulous. Caps don't need a backup goalie unless Copley gets injured down the road. He tried to force this narrative in 31 in 31 series on NHL's youtube channel in September and says this again. Dude have no idea what he's talking about.
As for Burakovsky, somebody already said this here - his edgework is terrible. He skates pretty okay when it's an open ice but once he gets engaged in a physical contact he's done and the rush is done too. Kid has confidence issues and it's been like that for 4 years so far. He doesnt know what to do with the puck unless its a no brainer situation like a breakaway or a point blank shoooting position. They have to get at least something for him and move on.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This is ridicoulous. Caps don't need a backup goalie unless Copley gets injured down the road. He tried to force this narrative in 31 in 31 series on NHL's youtube channel in September and says this again. Dude have no idea what he's talking about.
As for Burakovsky, somebody already said this here - his edgework is terrible. He skates pretty okay when it's an open ice but once he gets engaged in a physical contact he's done and the rush is done too. Kid has confidence issues and it's been like that for 4 years so far. He doesnt know what to do with the puck unless its a no brainer situation like a breakaway or a point blank shoooting position. They have to get at least something for him and move on.
You think Copley is the answer if Holtby struggles or gets injured?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I think Copley has looked very shaky in limited action. Definitely needs to work on some things. Its too early to write him off but if something was to happen to Holtby I wouldnt trust him to be our starter.
I'm of completely opposite opinion. Njd game was pretty bad for the team overall but I liked him vs Florida and in the preseason. He's got it

Reactions: SBraun

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
That is just empty content from Rosen and NHL.com (not critical of posting it here, just an observation)

Yeah, I figured I would post it given we're (the ppl on this board) not the only ones noticing Burky's performance.

Didn't think it would turn into a Copley debate, but ADD is everywhere. haha

images

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'm of completely opposite opinion. Njd game was pretty bad for the team overall but I liked him vs Florida and in the preseason. He's got it
Not what you are looking for when you watch a goalie. I dont just look at the saves. I watch his technique. Copley is not a good technician from what I have seen. Didnt look like he was getting square to the shooter and he had problems with rebound control. It is too early to tell.
BTW standing on your head making ridiculous saves doesnt always mean the goalie is good. Quite often a goalie has to make acrobatic saves because he isnt a great technician. Reimer was a perfect example when he was the Leafs starter. He made a lot if athletic saves and a lot if it had to do with his poor rebound control.
Another good goalie that struggles with technique at times is Tukka Rask.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not what you are looking for when you watch a goalie. I dont just look at the saves. I watch his technique. Copley is not a good technician from what I have seen. Didnt look like he was getting square to the shooter and he had problems with rebound control. It is too early to tell.

Yup...you are smarter that the rest of us. I knew it. :cool:. But how technically sound do you expect a goalie that rarely plays to be? Seriously.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
BTW standing on your head making ridiculous saves doesnt always mean the goalie is good. Quite often a goalie has to make acrobatic saves because he isnt a great technician. Reimer was a perfect example when he was the Leafs starter. He made a lot if athletic saves and a lot if it had to do with his poor rebound control.
Another good goalie that struggles with technique at times is Tukka Rask.
I don't know, to me he looks like poor man's Martin Jones.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
One thing i can't fully buy into is, how can a guy have no hockey sense and survive this long?

Was he carried by linemates, riding the coattails on a strong team... and why can't a GM see who doesnt understand the game, and not draft them.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
One thing i can't fully buy into is, how can a guy have no hockey sense and survive this long?

Was he carried by linemates, riding the coattails on a strong team... and why can't a GM see who doesnt understand the game, and not draft them.

I get what you mean but drafting #23 doesn't mean you automatically get a good player. There is a million things that go into drafting.

Who he should have drafted? There is Shea Theodore who went after him but he hasn't proved that much more than Burakovsky and even if he has, he is still the pretty much only one who has proven to be a good pick so far around that spot. Burakovsky has 120 points in 260 games, good for 11th from that draft. Lots of teams before and after us are wishing they would have him instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad