News Article: Andlauer doesn't want to make a hasty decision regarding coach D.J. Smith

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Wouldn't want to make a hasty decision on a coach with 4 (going on 5) years of failure.

We'll wallow in mediocrity and tread water for another month or two and once the coaching change takes place it'll be too late to make a difference.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Wouldn't want to make a hasty decision on a coach with 4 (going on 5) years of failure.

We'll wallow in mediocrity and tread water for another month or two and once the coaching change takes place it'll be too late to make a difference.
Did he draw a 20 game line in the sand? He wants to be patient .. ok its his team. Game 20 tonight.
I don't think it should take him much longer to make a decision one way or another. I hope he isn't willing to blow off the season.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
20 games.

10 wins. 10 losses. +6 goal differential

So you've got Staois and Alfredsson with about 2175 games played in the NHL between them.

You've got a new NHL owner saying we're evaluating and trying to understand

Would 20 games of watching a team play be enough for Staois and Alfredsson to conclude the team is poorly coached?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Titanic way more popular for sinking then if it remained floating its entire life - maybe Melnyck had sinking planned out all along to get more eyeballs?

Keeping losers around thinking you’ve got the means to turn them into winners - they figured it out quick with Dorion, DJ seems to have 9 NHL coaching lives

If the Titanic hit the iceberg head on, it wouldn't have sunk.

...and surviving that would've made it nearly as famous as it is now.

Now watch this crazy ass franchise have some sort of miracle run to a wildcard and win the Cup, just because nothing is ever normal with this franchise.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
20 games.

So you've got Staois and Alfredsson with about 2175 games played in the NHL between them.

Would 20 games of watching a team play be enough for Staois and Alfredsson to conclude the team is poorly coached?
Now now, let's not be hasty. How could the team possibly appoint someone interim for such an important organizational position? *checks notes* Except for the fact that it's exactly what they did with the GM.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Titanic way more popular for sinking then if it remained floating its entire life - maybe Melnyck had sinking planned out all along to get more eyeballs?

the Titanic the Olympic and the Britannic were very popular back in day, before they were even commissioned, as they were billed as being unsinkable and were going dominate the Ocean-liner business rivalry against their transatlantic competitor Cunard.

But then the Titanic sunk on it’s maiden voyage.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
20 games.

The changes they made to the system 3 games ago, team is playing much better.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
picking the right next coach is just as important as firing the bad one we have.

just make it right

Reactions: Dionysus

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
picking the right next coach is just as important as firing the bad one we have.

just make it right
What does picking a longterm coach have to do with hiring an interim coach? We're entering this sort of analysis paralysis phase. No one is saying they have to rush a decision on a longterm coach. Who knows who'll be available in the offseason and they can create a shortlist and find the right guy. But we're 20 games in, do we need the other 60 to be a complete throwaway because teams don't usually hire an interim HC at this point of the season?

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
What does picking a longterm coach have to do with hiring an interim coach? We're entering this sort of analysis paralysis phase. No one is saying they have to rush a decision on a longterm coach. Who knows who'll be available in the offseason and they can create a shortlist and find the right guy. But we're 20 games in, do we need the other 60 to be a complete throwaway because teams don't usually hire an interim HC at this point of the season?

Well, I agree. But Friedman touched on the idea of "Stability" as in they don't want the players to have an interim coach and then explore a full-time coach in the summer. I do not think they can go the traditional interim route where they hire internally as the assistance needs to go as well.

Part of the evaluation would be trying to understand what the players will respond to. DJ is soft as butter so hiring a complete hard ass could backfire.

It just seems they are on the right path even though I think its laughable DJ has lasted this long

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Well, I agree. But Friedman touched on the idea of "Stability" as in they don't want the players to have an interim coach and then explore a full-time coach in the summer. I do not think they can go the traditional interim route where they hire internally as the assistance needs to go as well.

Part of the evaluation would be trying to understand what the players will respond to. DJ is soft as butter so hiring a complete hard ass could backfire.

It just seems they are on the right path even though I think its laughable DJ has lasted this long
I know you're only repeating what was said by someone else so I'm not disputing you I'm countering the general point being made in the media. The idea of stability, in this case, doesn't actually make sense if you think about it.

There's 3 things we know are going to happen:
1. You know you're going to fire DJ at the end of the season.
2. You know you're going to hire a new GM who will evaluate the roster and make decisions.
3. And you know there will be a new coach preaching a new message and updated system.

No matter what happens the rest of the season, we'll end up with those 3 things happening.

So, we're looking at evaluating opportunities for the next 60 games. (Should have happened earlier but we are where we are now)

Maybe an interim coach can get 60 above average games out of them and they sneak into the playoffs somehow. Or maybe nothing changes and you need to make big, wholesale changes anyway. The fact is, we end up with the same result we're going to end up with. This is classic overthinking, it's exactly what analysis paralysis is. You overthink the problem at hand so much that you end up making no decisions, which in this circumstance, is actually the worst decision to make.

Anyway, I guess we better hope these guys outperform their start to the season by a significant margin or else this season will be an entirely avoidable throwaway.

Reactions: Liver King

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
We were 7-12-1 after 20 last season. Finished 39-35-8. We’re trending better every year.

after the 20 game mark last season .375 P% vs .500 P% today after 20 games.

Sens have better odds/chances to make the playoff than Tampa

1701881682377.png

1701881865387.png

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
after the 20 game mark last season .375 P% vs .500 P% today after 20 games.

Sens have better odds/chances to make the playoff than Tampa

View attachment 778625

View attachment 778627
Depends where you look, either way it's not good, nor very acccurate.

NHL Playoff Odds -MoneyPuck 2024 Playoff & Cup Odds 20% lower than Tampa

National Hockey League Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats Sens at 30%, Tampa 20%

NHL 2023-24 Stanley Cup playoff chances and projected standings 7% lower than Tampa at 29%

When there are so many differing %'s, hard to take any very serious after a 20 game sample size. 1 win, or 1 loss changes the probability an unrealistic amount.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I know you're only repeating what was said by someone else so I'm not disputing you I'm countering the general point being made in the media. The idea of stability, in this case, doesn't actually make sense if you think about it.

2. You know you're going to hire a new GM who will evaluate the roster and make decisions.
3. And you know there will be a new coach preaching a new message and updated system.

No matter what happens the rest of the season, we'll end up with those 3 things happening.

what happens for the rest of the season matters.

If the Sens make the playoffs, and win a round…. It would not be out of the realm of possibilities that the Senators pick up the option year of DJSs’ contract.

depending on who is brought in as GM, and when, matters.

If it is not until the off-season, when the new GM was available, there will not have been anytime to truly elevate the roster, compared to a GM who is brought in during this season, as they (new GM) would have been totally focused on his current team.

So I don’t “know” that DJS is going to get canned “no matter what happens the rest of the season.

Do I want him to stay, for the rest of the season? Yes that would be the logical thing to do given that we do know that a new GM is going to be hired most likely at the end of the season, and he should be given the choice to re up DJS or go in another direction.

i don’t see a new GM coming in during the season, but if that does happen, then the status and play of the team will dictate if a coaching change is warranted….. but not knowing the future, I can’t say a change will be needed.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Depends where you look, either way it's not good, nor very acccurate.

NHL Playoff Odds -MoneyPuck 2024 Playoff & Cup Odds 20% lower than Tampa

National Hockey League Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats Sens at 30%, Tampa 20%

NHL 2023-24 Stanley Cup playoff chances and projected standings 7% lower than Tampa at 29%

When there are so many differing %'s, hard to take any very serious after a 20 game sample size. 1 win, or 1 loss changes the probability an unrealistic amount.

Used to consult SportsClubStats, but they don’t update quick enough, they still have the Sens at the 18 game mark, instead of 20, so that is why you might see a different Chances to Make the Playoffs calculation.
1701883566785.png

in any case, the further into the season we get, the more accurate these percentages or chances become, and last year, I remember posting in mid december that the Sens where going to end up around the 85 to 88 point mark, and they ended up with 86 points

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

So, we're looking at evaluating opportunities for the next 60 games. (Should have happened earlier but we are where we are now)

Maybe an interim coach can get 60 above average games out of them and they sneak into the playoffs somehow. Or maybe nothing changes and you need to make big, wholesale changes anyway. The fact is, we end up with the same result we're going to end up with. This is classic overthinking, it's exactly what analysis paralysis is. You overthink the problem at hand so much that you end up making no decisions, which in this circumstance, is actually the worst decision to make.

Anyway, I guess we better hope these guys outperform their start to the season by a significant margin or else this season will be an entirely avoidable throwaway.
What Andlauer is preaching is patience. Methodically analyze to understand how to improve. Smart man.

He's also talked a lot about accountability

How would he know that he's firing the coach if that's a GM function and he doesn't have a GM?

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad