News Article: Andlauer doesn't want to make a hasty decision regarding coach D.J. Smith

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Told by TSN’s Gino Reda “you mentioned what the fans want and they don’t want D.J. Smith behind the bench anymore”, Andlauer smiled and said: “Section 323 and maybe thirty fans there … I don’t know.”

Andlauer wasn’t being dismissive of the unrest of the fanbase but he’s also going to take his time with Staios before making a decision.

“I do appreciate the fans and I love these fans, they’re passionate and they’ve also gone six years without making the playoffs,” Andlauer said. “I totally understand their angst.

“The only thing I can say is that I’m as big a fan. I know I cannot socialize when the game is on, I am pretty intense. It’s a process. I’m the new boss. I’m looking at all our key employees, let’s say, and trying to understand.

“We’re trying to make sure they have the right tools to be successful. Steve is working pretty hard at this. We didn’t expect our GM (Pierre Dorion) to be leaving us this early. Under the circumstances, we’re trying to learn but I can feel the fans angst.”

FULL ARTICLE: GARRIOCH: Senators' owner Michael Andlauer doesn't want to make a hasty decision regarding coach D.J. Smith or a new GM

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
It seems like they are looking for proper puzzle pieces, and not temporary band aids. While I prefer if DJ was gone yesteryear, I can see merit in taking time to find the proper GM and Coach, as opposed to an interim.

Andlauer, Staois, been thrown a lot, and they've done a pretty great job so far to clean up some inherited messes. He has shown he is committed to winning, by the adding of quality staff, IE Leeder, Stats guy, and fitness guy, sorry forget names off top head, but for me, personally, these quality hires shows he absolutely cares about what tools we have in place for the players to have everything needed to win, not just today, vut consistently for years. Therefore the pieces coming in, they've got to be a form fitting to the long range vision.

I don't see Andlauer hiring anything but the best men needed for the job. No need to rush the process, If they didn't think that year one they would be cup contenders, then these annoying times aren't going to sway the long term vision they're working with in development, however frustrating these moments are. They shall pass.

I fully believe our best days are coming. The skin from the past takes more then a day to shed and heal.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
There's basically zero logic to "we need a GM before we can hire a coach" instead of "we're naming an interim coach while we conduct a thorough search for our next GM who will have the latitude to make decisions on the coaching staff".

What the f*** is this logic of throwing away a season because you can't fire and hire a coach before the new GM is in place? Both can be done. If you can fire a coach late in a season and name an interim, you can fire a coach at this point (or should have been earlier) and apply the same logic. This is too cute by half, to be honest.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Basically what I've been saying. Don't rush the process. Get it right the first time. This core has many good years to come. The last thing we want to do is jeopardize next season too.

Reactions: Sensatauro

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Told by TSN’s Gino Reda “you mentioned what the fans want and they don’t want D.J. Smith behind the bench anymore”, Andlauer smiled and said: “Section 323 and maybe thirty fans there … I don’t know.”

Andlauer wasn’t being dismissive of the unrest of the fanbase but he’s also going to take his time with Staios before making a decision.

“I do appreciate the fans and I love these fans, they’re passionate and they’ve also gone six years without making the playoffs,” Andlauer said. “I totally understand their angst.

“The only thing I can say is that I’m as big a fan. I know I cannot socialize when the game is on, I am pretty intense. It’s a process. I’m the new boss. I’m looking at all our key employees, let’s say, and trying to understand.

“We’re trying to make sure they have the right tools to be successful. Steve is working pretty hard at this. We didn’t expect our GM (Pierre Dorion) to be leaving us this early. Under the circumstances, we’re trying to learn but I can feel the fans angst.”

FULL ARTICLE: GARRIOCH: Senators' owner Michael Andlauer doesn't want to make a hasty decision regarding coach D.J. Smith or a new GM

If that's really what he thinks, we might be in for another "long ride"... sigh

Some of the more analytical fans have been asking for Dorion and DJ Smith replacements since 2020-21, which is 4 seasons ago. Sure, we've been mocked and even called "cringey" but some of us stood by that position and now, outside of a few fans stuck in the denial phase, it's impossible to avoid.

The Habs who are in year 2 of their rebuild are above us the standings after a quarter season... I mean, how is that even possible?

I'm really hoping this is just because of the timing of the sale and it was too late to change the GM and coaching staff just before the season

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If we want an interim coach, you're looking at Capuano, that's probably the entire list.

The coaches who are out of the league now aren't going to be coming out of the woodwork for an interim role for 60 games with the Senators.

If the Sens want to hire a guy long term, there would be options. Hiring with an interim tag essentially limits them to people in the system, which is only Capuano, hich is switching seats on the Titanic, at best.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If we want an interim coach, you're looking at Capuano, that's probably the entire list.

The coaches who are out of the league now aren't going to be coming out of the woodwork for an interim role for 60 games with the Senators.

If the Sens want to hire a guy long term, there would be options. Hiring with an interim tag essentially limits them to people in the system, which is only Capuano, hich is switching seats on the Titanic, at best.
Giving Capuano the lead role would be more like blowing a giant hole in the Titanic to sink it faster.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It seems like they are looking for proper puzzle pieces, and not temporary band aids. While I prefer if DJ was gone yesteryear, I can see merit in taking time to find the proper GM and Coach, as opposed to an interim.

Andlauer, Staois, been thrown a lot, and they've done a pretty great job so far to clean up some inherited messes. He has shown he is committed to winning, by the adding of quality staff, IE Leeder, Stats guy, and fitness guy, sorry forget names off top head, but for me, personally, these quality hires shows he absolutely cares about what tools we have in place for the players to have everything needed to win, not just today, vut consistently for years. Therefore the pieces coming in, they've got to be a form fitting to the long range vision.

I don't see Andlauer hiring anything but the best men needed for the job. No need to rush the process, If they didn't think that year one they would be cup contenders, then these annoying times aren't going to sway the long term vision they're working with in development, however frustrating these moments are. They shall pass.

I fully believe our best days are coming. The skin from the past takes more then a day to shed and heal.
It appears you expect Andlauer to only "hiring anything but the best men needed for the job".

I hope he does that consistently; however, I don't see Staios as "being the best man for the job" based on his past experience.

I am hopeful with new ownership but still in the "wait and see" mode on whether this works out and how this team becomes "best in class". It's "Walk the talk" time.

Reactions: LiseL

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

People keep saying this but I find it hard to believe that you can't find an out of work coach who wants to make ~$750,000 between now and April, with the possibility of earning a job (here or elsewhere) for coming seasons.

It's almost a no-lose as far as reputation goes too. The team has sucked for years up until and including this year. If the new coach doesn't get the job done it just looks like the team was no good in the first place. If the team turns it around then your prospects for employment get pretty hot.

Jon Hynes has been signed beyond this year but the details are very sketchy. He'll have a role with the team but it may not be head coach. Guerin won't give many details. While I don't think Hynes is a great coach he is an experienced guy. I see no reason why a guy like Julien would not accept a deal where he is coach for the rest of this year and guaranteed employment for next year as well (could be coach, could be consultant, etc.).

Who knows but it sure looks like a change needs to be made.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There's basically zero logic to "we need a GM before we can hire a coach" instead of "we're naming an interim coach while we conduct a thorough search for our next GM who will have the latitude to make decisions on the coaching staff".
Poor logic there.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
People keep saying this but I find it hard to believe that you can't find an out of work coach who wants to make ~$750,000 between now and April, with the possibility of earning a job (here or elsewhere) for coming seasons.

It's almost a no-lose as far as reputation goes too. The team has sucked for years up until and including this year. If the new coach doesn't get the job done it just looks like the team was no good in the first place. If the team turns it around then your prospects for employment get pretty hot.

Jon Hynes has been signed beyond this year but the details are very sketchy. He'll have a role with the team but it may not be head coach. Guerin won't give many details. While I don't think Hynes is a great coach he is an experienced guy. I see no reason why a guy like Julien would not accept a deal where he is coach for the rest of this year and guaranteed employment for next year as well (could be coach, could be consultant, etc.).

Who knows but it sure looks like a change needs to be made.
This is exactly my thought process. The downside for a prospective experienced interim coach is negligible to non-existent. The upside is huge. This team needs a shakeup behind the bench, there's no justification to keep the status quo just because it doesn't adhere to the usual playbook in this kind of circumstance. The whole point of labelling a coach "interim" is that you are leaving yourself an out to move on from them.

You don't need the absolute best coach out there to be an interim coach, you need them to preach a different message and different philosophy in the short term while you get yourself sorted out in the longterm.

Reactions: Cosmix and dekem

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Andlauer doesn't want to make a hasty decision regarding coach D.J. Smith​

don't think it is going to be Andlauer's decision...... he has hired people he trusts to make those hockey decisions for the franchise.

So Steve Staois, as itreim GM will make that call, or the next GM consulting with Steve Staois will make that call.... not the Owner.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Andlauer won't be hasty, he'll give DJ a try
If he really bugs him then he'll say goodbye

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Read the bolded it’s kinda obvious,
there actually is some logic as opposed to zero logic.

That pedantic huh. If you want to be like that, the poster said "basically zero" which can be interpreted as very little. There is more than enough reason to hire an interim before a GM given our current coaches absolutely terrible track record.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Giving Capuano the lead role would be more like blowing a giant hole in the Titanic to sink it faster.

Titanic way more popular for sinking then if it remained floating its entire life - maybe Melnyck had sinking planned out all along to get more eyeballs?

Keeping losers around thinking you’ve got the means to turn them into winners - they figured it out quick with Dorion, DJ seems to have 9 NHL coaching lives

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Keeping losers around thinking you’ve got the means to turn them into winners - they figured it out quick with Dorion, DJ seems to have 9 NHL coaching lives

That's what the OP said, it's the blue haired old lady that decided to be nitpicky about his word choices. There's basically 0 logic in keeping DJ around right now, despite the few interim choices.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That's what the OP said, it's the blue haired old lady that decided to be nitpicky about his word choices. There's basically 0 logic in keeping DJ around right now, despite the few interim choices.

That and nobody in Ottawa has the guts to tell Brady that he’s a great guy for always having peoples backs, but carrying a bad coach on your back out of loyalty only hurts Brady the most.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00