Andersen save of the Playoffs thus far (all reactions in OP)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That's not true at all. There are many great saves on deflections, breakaways or odd man situations where goalies play it properly, read the situation, use their skill (slide to the far post, splits, glove/blocker in the right position etc) and reaction to make highlight reel saves.

Andersen clearly looses sight of the puck due to traffic and chooses the wrong side (left) to get vision back on the puck which then makes him unable to make a leg push to the far side since he missed the moment the pass was played.

Credit to him for not giving up on the play and you can see how frantic he was moving before that and the high pace of the moving puck and the quick release on the shot. To make the save in this situation was a small miracle. But still in my opinion nothing but luck and dedication to not give up on the play.

Yeah I must be fun at parties I know :laugh: but meh...not much else to argue these days!
He looked right first, though. It was an unlucky situation that put him in the position to need to make that save, so I wouldn't say Andersson didn't play it properly or that the fact he was "out of position" diminishes the save.

Reactions: TaLoN

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
He was an animal the whole game but this one is just ridiculous

giphy.gif

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's funny how 3 hours before that game last night people on here were saying he's not a #1 goalie and the Leafs will trade him:laugh:
People need to relax and making judgments and changing their opinions.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
It was a great save, but if I am being perfectly honest, these kind of desperation, timing but still luck, diving paddle saves dont really excite me too much. Its too much of a random result.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Great save for sure. If Toronto is to make this a series they need Andersen at 110%. I think that save last night might help make this a series.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Every save like this is obviously borne of a goalie being caught horribly out of position and scrambling to cover up. Luckily for Andersen, things worked out in his favour and the puck bounced off his paddle instead of in the net.

Big save, and kept the Leafs from another late playoff collapse to the Bruins.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He gave up two terrible goals before he settled in. Would be nice if he didn't gift soft goals to Boston.

Huge save to redeem himself. If that goes in, the next two minutes last for an eternity and Boston is so damn good with the man advantage they easily could have tied it.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
He was absolutely spectacular last night. First star of the game and it wasn’t even close. The teams breakdowns in front of him are horrendous and he bailed their ***** out single handedly.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
So wait.

If a goalie makes a nice save due to excellent positioning, it's nothing, because he didn't even have to move to make the save.

If a dude makes a great desperation save, it's only because he was so out of position in the first place.

So... Is it possible to make a nice save? I really want to hear the logic behind this.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
It was a great save, but if I am being perfectly honest, these kind of desperation, timing but still luck, diving paddle saves dont really excite me too much. Its too much of a random result.

Is it more exciting when a goalie is in position and stops the puck which his chest?

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I'm not a goalie, but I don't think he was way out of position or anything. When you look at the angle behind the net he was pretty heavily screened and the shot came from the left side, don't see how he's responsible for the puck ending up to his right. To me the several defenders in front of him should have prevented that pass from happening.

Save was largely luck, but many are.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He gave up two terrible goals before he settled in. Would be nice if he didn't gift soft goals to Boston.

Huge save to redeem himself. If that goes in, the next two minutes last for an eternity and Boston is so damn good with the man advantage they easily could have tied it.

Yeah he was the goat until he was the GOAT.

Definitely rallied between those periods.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad