Andersen save of the Playoffs thus far (all reactions in OP)

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
I eagerly await TSN's top 1 non desperation saves
Media obviously loves the super flashy amazing looking desperation saves so they can show them off to the big casual hockey fanbase who loves that sort of stuff.
I guess some hardcore fans love them to but its not what I would call good goaltending. It looks nice though.

Reactions: Bruins4Life420

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Media obviously loves the super flashy amazing looking desperation saves so they can show them off to the big casual hockey fanbase who loves that sort of stuff.
I guess some hardcore fans love them to but its not what I would call good goaltending. It looks nice though.

I want to reply with a gif of a no rebound pad save, but I can't find one

Reactions: Auston Marlander

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Have you not seen him this round? He let in eight goals in 4 periods entering the game tonight and let in two bad goals.

gibson let in 5 in 2 periods tonight so he's catching up

even with the leafs win i saw a lot of insane chances for boston

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
So basically like every amazing save ever?
Many of them yes...I never understood the fascination with these type of saves. There is little skill involved, you just throw anything you have in the direction you previously failed to go in because you misplayed/misread a situation. It's nice that the puck hit his stick and he did well getting his stick across the goal, but that's it. Luck, agility and little else. Just not my cup of tea.

As a goalie myself I prefer every save that is conciously made because the goalie was able to react to a deke or read the player's intentions correctly and used his actual skill to stop the puck.

Reactions: Gnome17

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
gibson let in 5 in 2 periods tonight so he's catching up

even with the leafs win i saw a lot of insane chances for boston

Yeah, Gibson hasn't been much better.

I don't think Toronto has much hope in the series because Boston's offence is too good, and Toronto's defense is really bad. If Boston catches a break or two tonight (and more fair reffing) we have a much different game.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
So what gets you going? A solid wrister to the goalies chest?
There are plenty of goodlooking saves where the goaltender doesnt rely on pure desperation, and especially saves where the goalie doesnt have to rely on desperation only because of first misreading a situation.

Reactions: Bruins4Life420

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
There are plenty of goodlooking saves where the goaltender doesnt rely on pure desperation, and especially saves where the goalie doesnt have to rely on desperation only because of first misreading a situation.
Misread the situation? Please, he was being screened the whole time the puck was being moved around by Backes and was peeking left around him when the pass from Krejci went to Pasta and still had enough time to track it down. The luck came from throwing his stick exactly where the puck was headed in an open net but let's not pretend like Andersen was flip-flopping all over the ice and threw up a blind stick.

Reactions: TaLoN and Kelly

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
Out of the years ive watched hockey, + highlights, this one is like top 3 saves ive seen. Anyone remember Holtby's stick-on-the-line save?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
How on earth can this conversation devolve into: luck/misread/great athleticism etc...take it for what it was, a highlight reel save and great fun for the Leaf fans, less so for Bruin fans, I'd guess.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
After game 2, I thought he was Toronto's Dan Cloutier.

He definitely shut me up.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
That was an awful goal against Chara, and hes been bad this series. Are we going to ignore games one and two and parts of game three or does it not fit your agenda? Was that Chara goal a snipe? A real Laine/Ovechkin shot if you ask me.

Meh, Chara is not a sniper, so yiubplay the pass when he is on the goal line. He put the puck in the only spot that could go in the net. It was a perfect shot that I wouldn't blame on the goalie.

He was really bad the 1st 2 games, and did struggle a bit with rebounds in game 3, but was good enough with several highlight reel saves. I do hope he comes out flying in game 4.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
No great save ever came from proper positioning.
That's not true at all. There are many great saves on deflections, breakaways or odd man situations where goalies play it properly, read the situation, use their skill (slide to the far post, splits, glove/blocker in the right position etc) and reaction to make highlight reel saves.

Andersen clearly looses sight of the puck due to traffic and chooses the wrong side (left) to get vision back on the puck which then makes him unable to make a leg push to the far side since he missed the moment the pass was played.

Credit to him for not giving up on the play and you can see how frantic he was moving before that and the high pace of the moving puck and the quick release on the shot. To make the save in this situation was a small miracle. But still in my opinion nothing but luck and dedication to not give up on the play.

Yeah I must be fun at parties I know :laugh: but meh...not much else to argue these days!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad