Injury Report: Andersen Injured - Out 3-4 Weeks

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Frederik Andersen pulled from Olympic qualifying game
Maple Leafs, Team Europe goalie for World Cup removed after collision with teammate

https://www.nhl.com/news/frederik-andersen-pulled-from-olympic-qualifying-game/c-281512308

Toronto Maple Leafs goaltender Frederik Andersen was removed from a qualifying game for the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics while playing for Denmark against Slovenia on Friday.

Andersen, 26, left with 4:21 remaining in the third period. After skating out of his crease to play a puck, he was hit by teammate Oliver Bjorkstrand.

It is not known if Andersen sustained an injury of if he left as a precaution.

Denmark lost the game 3-0.

Andersen is set to play for Team Europe at the World Cup of Hockey 2016, which runs from Sept. 17 to Oct. 1 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. Team Europe opens training camp for the tournament Monday at Videotron Centre in Quebec City, Quebec.

Last season Andersen went 22-9-4 with a 2.30 goals-against average and a .919 save percentage with the Anaheim Ducks. He was acquired by the Maple Leafs in a trade June 20.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
How are people saying that didn't look bad? That looked like a dislocated shoulder to me...Enter Jonas Enroth as our starter boys...:help:

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm more worried about how his injury might affect his play in the start of the season. We all know how lower body injury effects the mobility of a goaltender, Bernier being a prime example of it. Hopefully, it isn't too bad and Andersen can be at his best.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
More surprising to me is that teams are playing to qualify for the Olympics.

Injury looks bad. With how he turned over after. Might be a leg injury.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
That's looked like the most harmless hit ever I'm almost laughing... Dude has all that pading to cushion the landing too.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
How are people saying that didn't look bad? That looked like a dislocated shoulder to me...Enter Jonas Enroth as our starter boys...:help:

Ya... that's what it looked like to me too. Landed awkwardly on his shoulder/arm.

Hopefully it's something minor.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I am pretty sure that was a right shoulder injury :nod:

Yeah, that's what it's looking like to me as well. Landed awkwardly on the shoulder there. On the bright side, I think a shoulder injury is about the best we could hope for in terms of long-term goalie injuries. The ones you don't want to see for them are lower body ones

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Regardless it's definitely not good news. At least there is still plenty of time before the season starts. So shut him down through the stupid world cup and get him in at training camp if he's good to go at some point during that.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
More surprising to me is that teams are playing to qualify for the Olympics.

Injury looks bad. With how he turned over after. Might be a leg injury.

it's 550ish days until the games. (or aka: 1.5 years). smaller countries need to get enough points to qualify now. the big countries are already good because they place high enough at worlds and such.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
There is a silver lining. Maybe he doens't need to go World Cup, because of this. Because playing behind that useless Team Europe is the worst thing what could happen to a goalie.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
it's 550ish days until the games. (or aka: 1.5 years). smaller countries need to get enough points to qualify now. the big countries are already good because they place high enough at worlds and such.
I think it's more that this is silly for guys like Andersen to be there. NHL players won't be going. I suppose it's a nice thing to try and get your country qualified, but you'll just be watching on TV. It's kind of disingenuous for countries to make it based on guys that won't actually represent them.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Just heard on the Fan590 there's an injury or something to our goalie? Hope he gets better... so the Shanaplan delayed by 1 year?...

If so, meh. I still believe in our management. Add a year to your mental timeline for our 1st Cup of this era. End result? We still win a bunch of Cups, delayed by 365 days.

I've waited this long. I can wait a year longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad