Player Discussion Anders Nilsson

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I think he's been great and getting better each game. If he works out, I won't even care if Talbot is a bust, and losing those picks to acquire him (if that happens to be the case). I'll just be happy enough to finally have a legit starting goalie on this team for the first time in too long.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's certainly been a pleasant surprise. Although it'd be nice to see Talbot put up some solid performances too before the season ends.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
I'm sorry but I just don't see it. He has terrible rebound control and plays so deep in his net because he has a problem moving quickly. He's a decent goaltender but he's no Rinne.

Does Lundqvist play deep because he's slow? Or is it just his style?

Aceonfire*

I'd be ok with trading Talbot and letting Brossoit get a few games. Nilsson has been fantastic. We haven't seen goaltending like this in years.

Yes it's a small sample size but the Oilers need to take a chance on him. The players seem to love him.

Talbot might be able to get a decent return based off of last years performance. It may be too soon to give up on him but it's obvious Nilsson is our starter now.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
His stats as of now:

.915 sv%
2.63 GAA

Without that awful Capitals game he'd be at .926 sv% and 2.28 GAA.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
His stats as of now:

.915 sv%
2.63 GAA

6 W
7 L
1 OT

Not to bad considering our record, but not enough.

edit: I know he is not solely responsible for our record obviously

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Nilsson was a beast in the shootout for us tonight. Stared down guys like Krecji, Bergeron and Marchand who can all bury it and he didn't give them anything. They had nothing.

Seems like he's getting better and more confident, hopefully the team can rally around his stellar play and the fact he's giving them a chance on a nightly basis. Please Chiarelli dump Mac-T and or Howson in favour of Sean Burke.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd be ok with trading Talbot and letting Brossoit get a few games. Nilsson has been fantastic. We haven't seen goaltending like this in years.

Yes it's a small sample size but the Oilers need to take a chance on him. The players seem to love him.

Talbot might be able to get a decent return based off of last years performance. It may be too soon to give up on him but it's obvious Nilsson is our starter now.

How can you move Talbot at this point? He wouldn't have much value. Then who's your backup? Because if it's Brossoit it would be more than just a few games that he'd be needed.

Far too early to move Talbot. Maybe at TDD, but zero point right now

Windy Wings

Mar 18, 2014
A short background story:
The Oilers traded Liam Coughlin to the Blackhawks in exchange for Anders Nilsson.
Nilsson spent last season in the KHL with Ak Bars Kazan. He signed a one-year contract but refused to re-sign with the club in hopes of landing a job in the NHL. He went 20-9-8 with 1.71 goals-against average and .936 save percentage in 38 regular-season games and went 13-7 in the playoffs with a 1.54 GAA and .935 save percentage.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Who would have thought that the player we gave up zero assets for would be the #1 goalie? It's too bad that the Oilers gave up 5 draft picks for 2 players who aren't even playing on the team right now

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
when nilsson is in his butterfly his shoulders are above the crossbar. hes great

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

If Nilsson keeps up this level of play until the Trade Deadline that sort of a move might make sense, but to do so now would be foolish. Would look incredibly stupid to trade Talbot and then have Nilsson start struggling.

McDeathbyCheerios*

His stats as of now:

.915 sv%
2.63 GAA

He is ahead of guys in s% like Craedord, Rask, Mason, Miller, Rinne.. A lot of good guys.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
All I can say is thank goodness Chiarelli picked up this guy in what looked like a minor deal at the time, I shudder to think how bad things would be now if Talbot was the only guy we had other than Scrivens. Granted we're in the bottom of the standings regardless, but still.

One thing that makes me nervous yet about Nilsson is that glove hand of his, I'm not a fan of how many times he seems to bobble the puck when making a save with it, I wouldn't consider it a strength of his.

All in all I'd consider him an NHL-average goalie so far, which a lot of us were clamoring for. Only time will tell if he can become more than that, so far I like how it's trending.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
The real question is, if Talbot can string together some decent games and shows he can be a decent backup, do you resign him at a decent dollar amount or do you go after a more established goalie to push Nilsson?

McDeathbyCheerios*

All I can say is thank goodness Chiarelli picked up this guy in what looked like a minor deal at the time, I shudder to think how bad things would be now if Talbot was the only guy we had other than Scrivens. Granted we're in the bottom of the standings regardless, but still.

One thing that makes me nervous yet about Nilsson is that glove hand of his, I'm not a fan of how many times he seems to bobble the puck when making a save with it, I wouldn't consider it a strength of his.

All in all I'd consider him an NHL-average goalie so far, which a lot of us were clamoring for. Only time will tell if he can become more than that, so far I like how it's trending.
Sometimes his glove hand bubbling seems like for a second he wants to play it and changes his mind. He did it twice last night. It almost looks like him being indecisive.

That being said he has made a lot of progress and fixed a bunch of issues from his first game so even if his glove hand is off I feel like he could fix it.

He is only 25 too, not even in his goaltender prime too. Might have a steal.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sometimes his glove hand bubbling seems like for a second he wants to play it and changes his mind. He did it twice last night. It almost looks like him being indecisive.

That being said he has made a lot of progress and fixed a bunch of issues from his first game so even if his glove hand is off I feel like he could fix it.

He is only 25 too, not even in his goaltender prime too. Might have a steal.

In all honesty, he's already been a steal. Coughlin has zero goals and 5 assists in 12 games in his first year at the U of Vermont.

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
He did come to camp with the best helmet paint job. Glad he's following it up with the best performance.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Is he Calder eligible? I'm not sure how it works for goalies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Never seen the lack of mobility replacement has been ranting about.

He is quick for a big guy.

Many Oilers goalies seem to have the problem of staying too deep in the net. He is clearly improving on that and his rebound control.

Not saying he is going to end up being our Rinne but I think the lack of mobility is grossly exagerated.

Big men always look slow because of thier size.

With the way goalies come out of no where, and the way he is improving I wouldn't underestimate where he could end up.

I'll respond only since I was cited.

The lack of mobility refers to Nillsons movements once he is down. He displays two deficits in this area.

1) trouble moving across on pads.

2) Trouble getting up once he is down. Nillson exhibits one leg at a time getting up out of the butterfly. Almost unheard of lack of technique amongst todays successful NHL goalies. Most NHL goalies are able to spring out of the butterfly instantly on both legs. Nillson quite simply can't do that. He needs to work out on that to build the leg strength to do it.

As per last night on two shoot attempts by the Bruins it indicates zero scouting and generally reinforces how weak NHL opponent scouting is. Its almost embarrassing how poor the NHL is at doing this and exploiting weaknesses. If any of the Bruins shooters use reasonable speed and move across the net and pick a corner its a goal. Eberle would score on a shootout on Nillson 9 times out of 10. He's giving up high all the time. On one play, believe it was Krejci, Nillson goes full swim all that needs to be done is get the puck up.

Weaknesses are still there in Nillsons game. He's made some adaptations by trying to go down less. In time though NHL clubs will start to be informed on what some of Nillsons limitations are and work that more.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I actually like Talbot as far as his fundamentals go when he's in net... he looks solid in there and is good positionally for most shots... BUT obviously he lets in some weak goals from what should be low quality scoring areas which appears to be his weakness.

Nilsson has simply been better so far when it comes to stopping the puck... less weak goals and he's been much better in his consistency game to game.

I agree with others... too early to crown Nilsson as the #1 and call Talbot a dud but so far Nilsson has definitely been better and they should roll with him while he's playing well.

I would still give Talbot a start soon though... I think he needs the opportunity to redeem himself and if he's a competitive and proud goaltender (which no doubt he is), this time he's had off will likely be time he's used to refocus and show he is worthy of an NHL spot on this team when he gets his chance in net again.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I hope he can be like Mathieu Garon for us in 07-08 which I will gladly take, though I don't think he's the long term solution here.

Anyone who can stay .910 or higher here would be a godsend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad