Prospect Info: Anders Bjork -Update - signed ELC May 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
In Europe it would be "AHN-ders." Here, "AN-Ders", as in "Andrew", is common.

It's "Byork", as we say, "beyond" without the "e".
Scandinavian name.

That's exactly what I thought - the "AHN-ders" sounds like a British/Euro pronunciation variant, while "AN-ders" sounds like the New Yawk/American pronunciation. My guess is the difference between the two is more dependent on the accent of the speaker, and isn't an actual pronunciation difference. Sort of like the whole Marchand controversy when he changed his pronunciation 3 or 4 years ago.

The last name is "BEE-york", just like Icelandic singer and swan aficionado Björk. (Note to self: Put in Twitter drafts folder a #BruinsBeats request for Björk's "It's Oh So Silent" for the 2018-9 opener.) I think the syllabification is a little complicated...it really sounds more like one syllable when you say it.

http://sportdesigns.com/chinc/links/2016-17_Pronunciations.pdf

One thing I have to say about Jack Edwards - he makes an effort to get the names right. He's even tweeted videos of the players saying their own names as proof. So, when in doubt, go with Jack.

Sounds like he'll be a good addition to Providence next season, and hopefully ready for the big club the year after that. I kinda don't want to see much of him next year - if we do, I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's due to injury.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I agree with this. I see Frederic's ceiling as basically Backes.

I've watched him a lot this past season and I don't see the Backes comparison at all. That gets mentioned a lot because he's a St Louis kid and Backes was his favorite player. He's got Backes' size, but he plays more like Joe Pavelski.

He had a great freshman year, but next year will be the real test. He won't have Luke Kunin on his wing anymore.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
I would also say the stats indicate a guy who will need at least a half season in the AHL, not a guy who jumps into the top 6 of an NHL team.

I think that's why he's asking why everyone is so excited, because Bjork is probably not a guy who steps into the bruins lineup at the beginning of next year. Truthfully I am excited about Bjork, but I'm not expecting any impact on the bruins team until 2018-19.
".........

Which while, its great to be excited about, I would also not pencil him into the bruins lineup next year. So, I could understand why someone could read this thread and think we are overly excited.

I am not saying he will jump right in, truthfully I think everyone should spend at least a coupe like of games in the ahl to prove they can run at a pro level. I do think even the most cynical fans should be excited that one of the top ten players in college this year signed when Vessey provided the blueprint to go wherever you want if you wait until after your senior season

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
i already predicted bjork wont have a long career here... but hope im wrong. wishing him well and glad he signed

Not trying to out do ya but..

..I predicted Marchand would forever be an AHL`er:amazed::shakehead

I know very little of Bjork other than a few viewings but is he exclusively a left wing or is he another Bruin who can shift to the dot if need be?

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Wasn't being cynical, it was a sincere question. I feel like it's harder to gauge college players than CHL guys. I'm just worried because Vesey looked pretty subpar with the Rangers after all the hype surrounding him.

Vesey scored 16 goals and had 27 points coming into the NHL cold. As much as I like to rag on the guy because he didn't sign with the B's, that would have put him 6th on the B's, just behind Backes. Not ROY stuff, but not chopped liver either.

I would be pretty happy if Bjork, Heinen, or DeBrusk were able to put up 15+ goals next season in a rookie year.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not trying to out do ya but..

..I predicted Marchand would forever be an AHL`er:amazed::shakehead

I know very little of Bjork other than a few viewings but is he exclusively a left wing or is he another Bruin who can shift to the dot if need be?

He was primarily a RW in college, not left. Have never seen him play C, but assume he can play LW. I blinked and missed most of his shifts at the Worlds, but he split time with Greenway (LW) a lot, so I assumed that's where he was playing.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I've watched him a lot this past season and I don't see the Backes comparison at all. That gets mentioned a lot because he's a St Louis kid and Backes was his favorite player. He's got Backes' size, but he plays more like Joe Pavelski.

He had a great freshman year, but next year will be the real test. He won't have Luke Kunin on his wing anymore.

I got to watch a small number (6/7) of Frederic's games this year on TV (CBS sports and Big 10 Network carry a lot of hockey) and I agree with you, I'm not sure that Backes is the best comparison? Based on his numbers, and watching TF, Backes appears to have been a much more physical player in college.

In defense of Frederic's freshman year standing on it's own merit, I don't believe he played with Kunin until later in the season?

Frederic had 10 pts in his first 8 games and led Wisconsin in scoring, centering Max Zimmer and Dan Labosky, then broke his hand and missed 6 games (UW went 2-3-1 without him). When he first returned, he centered the 3rd line between Jason Ford and Will Johnson (Kunin was with another B's prospect, Cameron Hughes). Frederic worked his way up to the top line and Kunin, but he was able to do a lot of damage on his own as well.

I think it will be interesting to see how Frederic matures this season, as Kunin was a leader on that team. They also lost senior Grant Besse, but thought I had read that Granato has been recruiting well, so there should be some talent.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
While that's true, CJ wasn't here the whole year yet he still didn't show any improvement under Butch...
I guess now it's Butch's fault?:shakehead
File this under: Lazy, slow and/or entitled!

On the Bjork signing: Super job Donny. I hate "what could've been's) AB will be here for at least 3 years, that is 3 years to prove that he was worth it and belongs. While I don't think that he'll be the forward equivalent of McAvoy, I also don't expect him to step up and own a BB roster spot for a couple years.
Re Vesey: I don't think that his first NHL year is what he will be judged by. If by year three he hasn't blossomed then I'd say "bust" but not at least until then.

Re our prospects: It's now time for the front office to made some decisions and make some (trade) noise. I EXPECT to see some prospects moved for some veteran talent.

He did improve under Cassidy. He himself said so under the article presented in this thread.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I got to watch a small number (6/7) of Frederic's games this year on TV (CBS sports and Big 10 Network carry a lot of hockey) and I agree with you, I'm not sure that Backes is the best comparison? Based on his numbers, and watching TF, Backes appears to have been a much more physical player in college.

In defense of Frederic's freshman year standing on it's own merit, I don't believe he played with Kunin until later in the season?

Frederic had 10 pts in his first 8 games and led Wisconsin in scoring, centering Max Zimmer and Dan Labosky, then broke his hand and missed 6 games (UW went 2-3-1 without him). When he first returned, he centered the 3rd line between Jason Ford and Will Johnson (Kunin was with another B's prospect, Cameron Hughes). Frederic worked his way up to the top line and Kunin, but he was able to do a lot of damage on his own as well.

I think it will be interesting to see how Frederic matures this season, as Kunin was a leader on that team. They also lost senior Grant Besse, but thought I had read that Granato has been recruiting well, so there should be some talent.

I haven't seen him live in NCAA but watched on TV and picked up pieces of info from those who have

He's already got a strong defensive game and developing 200 foot game

Serious prospect who looks like top 3 center in the pros

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Wouldn't be surprised if Bjork spends time in Providence.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Critiquing, analyzing and discussng is what we do here. Seeing how it plays out is boring.

Just crunching the numbers I'm going m

22 G 28 A NHL

Second line wing

Very suprised he came out this well

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Seems like a good prospect. I don't see anything that changes the forecast of him being a good energy/two-way 3rd liner. Maybe he can be a Peverley type. People have to remember that he was 20 years old this season playing against younger weaker competition. Donato is another example of this. Donato should dominate he has been at Harvard forever, when he hits the AHL/NHL things will change, Vesey was significantly better than Donato in the NCAA and he was nothing to write home about after all the hype. I just hope Bjork can bring some speed and jump to the 3rd line at some point, it would not be fair to project him as a top 2 line player.

First of all, we should always pump the breaks on setting expectations for rookies. I think a team should feel fortunate when a rookie experiences a high degree of success in their first year. With that being said, the bolded above is almost universally inaccurate. Vesey was a FULL two years older his senior season (22) than both Donato and Bjork were this past year. Bjork still can't legally celebrate with a beer, and until a month ago Donato was the same...They're still kids.

I'm still not sure that Donato is a truly viable NHL prospect. He's trending up for sure, but we'll have to wait and see. Bjork is, and I don't know that it's even debatable. He didn't do what he did this past year against kids. In fact, there were probably a lot of nights where he was one of the younger players on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad